Universal Love Captain Roughie

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats Roughy and many thanks to Luke Hodge for many years of great service as Captain of our great club.

What an amazing leadership group too. Great choice HFC!

What fabulous news all round.

Even before his diagnosis I had a hell of a lot of respect for the big golden Rough. He plays in the right spirit, hard but fair. He shows respect when it's due and stands up for his mates. His attitude throughout this whole ordeal has been amazing. It would have been so easy to have been downbeat and withdrawn but instead he's just "done life". This has only added to my respect and admiration of the man.

Great bloke and I reckon he'll be an outstanding captain. I wish him nothing but the absolute very best. :thumbsu:

PS: Also kudos to Luke for stepping back and focusing on the transition for the good of the club.

A captain is there to lead from the front, and inspire his team mates to perform great deeds on the field. On both counts, I can't imagine a better candidate for the Hawks - I have no doubt that Roughy will be a wonderful skipper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What fantastic news !!!

jarryd-roughead-of-the-hawks-and-jake-melksham-of-the-bombers-fight-picture-id174456761

I like this news a lot

All the best Rough - I just know that you will be a proud, worthy and inspirational captain.

Thank you Luke Hodge - you have been a captain that has led from the front and have been a true warrior and will go down as one of the all time great captains of the club. I applaud you for stepping down to allow for the transitioning to begin and having Roughs back during this period. They are massive boots that Rough is going to have to fill. You are not a "good" bloke Luke Hodge, you are a GREAT bloke.

Congratulations also to Liam Shiels and Isaac Smith being named as Vice Captains

Congrats Roughie. Those are mighty big shoes to fill, but I think you'll carry the title of captain with aplomb. We have high expectations of captain of our club, and I'm betting you'll do us well.

Thanks to Hodgey for being possibly the greatest captain we've had (so far). At least Roughie can see how high the bar has been set, so he can try to match and exceed it. ;)

Great news for Roughead and for the club heading into the 2017 season. Hodge did an outstanding job as captain leading Hawthorn to 5 consecutive top 4 finishes from 2011-2016 with a 78% winning record as captain and 66% winning record in the finals. No doubt that Roughead will make a great leader this season and he's got great supporting cast in Smith and Shiels who are excellent choices to lead the club in the near future.

Anyone but Jordan Lewis... :cool:

Nah jokes aside another selfless act by the General.
Congratulations to the big fella, truly optimizes the Hawthorn way.
Choked up when he said his comment about just being alive to be a Dad.
Love ya Roughy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back