Universal Love Captain Roughie

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys , just to add my congratulations to Jarryd being made Captain of Hawthorn , great news , he is massively liked and respected by many , Hawks or opposition supporters alike. Good luck for 2017 and beyond :thumbsu:.

Thanks IR Baboon!

I'm surprised by this.

Not that Roughie isn't captaincy material, but the timing of it.

He has battled a very serious illness the last eighteen months. What is to say that he will be right to go in Round 1?

I think the Hawks should have waited until 2018. Have Hodge captain one more year. This way, the club can see how Roughie comes up, and if he doesn't have a relapse, or if he will play without medical problems this season.

Here's a question too. Is the medication he is taking for his cancer treatment not on the WADA banned list? I mean, WADA add things all the time. All that has to happen is for some sports scientist in Russia to find a way to use cancer medicine as a performance-enhancing drug, and it will be added to the list (I mean, heaven forbid someone take something to save their life, as long as it doesn't "improve their performance").
Hodge is likely in his last year so it's a good time to hand it over and transition with his guidance. The decision wasn't one made as charity or guesswork, it's a well thought out and heavily considered decision which really confirms that Roughead health and fitness is building nicely. Even if he doesn't get up for round 1, that doesn't make the decision a bad one.

In regards to Wada, I'm pretty sure medical conditions are excluded. Even if they weren't, immunotherapy drugs are brutal on the body and encourage the body to attack itself to kill cancer cells. Hardly a drug people will turn to to improve their performances...

I'm surprised by this.

He has battled a very serious illness the last eighteen months. What is to say that he will be right to go in Round 1?

I think the Hawks should have waited until 2018. Have Hodge captain one more year. This way, the club can see how Roughie comes up, and if he doesn't have a relapse, or if he will play without medical problems this season.

Here's a question too. Is the medication he is taking for his cancer treatment not on the WADA banned list? I mean, WADA add things all the time. All that has to happen is for some sports scientist in Russia to find a way to use cancer medicine as a performance-enhancing drug, and it will be added to the list (I mean, heaven forbid someone take something to save their life, as long as it doesn't "improve their performance").

The cancer medication he was taking was debilitating.

Nice attempt at a troll though, mate.

I'm surprised by this.

errr................

um...............

I'm surprised by this.

You gotta watch all the players using chemo drugs to bulk in the offseason.

Tosser.

Knew it had to be a Geelong supporter who wrote this. Pathetic attempt at trolling.

Can you remember the name of the guy who was at Geelong just before he toddled off to Essendon to continue plying his trade?

The cancer medication he was taking was debilitating.

Nice attempt at a troll though, mate.

I don't know if I'd call it a nice attempt... I think I heard Hawkins mutter something more poignant between pies 20 and 22 for the night.

I'm surprised by this.

At $150,000 a pop i cant see too many Russian athletes experimenting with monoclonal antibodies as a performance enhancer.

I'm surprised by this.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but can you kindly go * yourself and never post your toxic bullshit on our board again. Thanks.

Of all the goodwill and outpouring of great sentiment that opposition fans have posted here today and throughout Jarryd's treatment - and you saunter on in here and post that utter crap.

And don't try and defend yourself with some 'was just asking a question' excuse. You should apologise for acting like a campaigner and go back to the Cats board with your tail between your legs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure I should be happy for Roughead but I feel for Lewis. I'm sure in some sense he felt one day he could captain the club he loved...now he's at Melbourne watching his mate become captain. I'm sure that stings a little bit.

I'm sure I should be happy for Roughead but I feel for Lewis. I'm sure in some sense he felt one day he could captain the club he loved...now he's at Melbourne watching his mate become captain. I'm sure that stings a little bit.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm also sure that he would just be happy that his best mate is in a position to take on the role when you recall how emotional he was on 360 when talking about it.

Geez, just watched the live stream of his press conference on the Hawks website... gotta say, he really didn't want to be there.

Mind you, he had just come from the training track but still, was very short with his answers.

Was super defensive when asked how his knee was going. He replied by asking if the reporter watched him at training just then and what did he think. The reporter said he thought Rough was moving very well and Rough just said, "yep, thanks mate".

Personally I can't stand the media around AFL footy for the most part so I was actually loving it, and also keeping in mind he had just come off the track and hadn't even had time to call his wife before being swamped with questions (most of which were pointless like usual), BUT, as captain of the club now I hope he gets used to this sort of thing because it's only going to get more intense now.
I didn't actually read it it like that. I think he was having a bit of fun with the reporters, it's part of what makes him endearing

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but can you kindly go **** yourself and never post your toxic bullshit on our board again. Thanks.

Of all the goodwill and outpouring of great sentiment that opposition fans have posted here today and throughout Jarryd's treatment - and you saunter on in here and post that utter crap.

And don't try and defend yourself with some 'was just asking a question' excuse. You should apologise for acting like a campaigner and go back to the Cats board with your tail between your legs.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Sh*t for brains posting

Can you remember the name of the guy who was at Geelong just before he toddled off to Essendon to continue plying his trade?
Off the top of my head, I can think of three. All have shadows, but I think I know which of the three you are referring to.

I'm surprised by this.

Attachments

• IMG_3610.JPG
    IMG_3610.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 2
Hearing this yesterday genuinely bought a smile to my face. Regardless of allegiances, it's just a great story and you can surely only feel so pleased for Roughie.

I'll give him a big round of applause in Round 1.

Enjoyed his first media performance as Captain.

Whilst we love Roughy and his likeable laconic bush nature, we all know he doesn't shirk the issue either.
Was it just me or was there a bit of menace in the big fella yesterday?
Seems to strike the all too delicate balance beautifully of being equally liked as he is respected.

This appointment is fantastic on every level for mine.

Loved how he instinctively deflected the blowtorch off the question regarding Jeager... "all our new recruits are tracking well".

Great stuff Roughy. Great stuff Hawks.

I'm surprised by this.

Pathetic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back