Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Man that was a terrible decision. Just about the least qualified leader in our entire squad

The leadership group is elected by the players, isn't it? Whatever Jenkins failings might be as a player, he was at least outspoken and would say what he thought. Given the disfunctional relationship between players and coaches at the time, I can understand why a significant number of players might have pushed forward a senior guy who would at least speak a bit of truth to those higher up making the decisions. If people don't think they're being heard, it's not that surprising that they elect the loudest voice to speak on their behalf.

The reality is when there was several players capable of being captain, sloane was told whe he failed in his bid for captaincy, there is no I in team.

And the reality is sloane hasn't done anything to earn the captaincy. He's just in the right place at the right time because a better guy fell over after years of a huge burden.

If anything sloane has deteriorated as a player since he was rejected acted in 2015. The squads and club expectations after two poor seasons, not in a dismilar way much.

A very conservative appointment like the coaches. Like the response to all the s**t after the 2017 gf, except the trading of gibbs. Pity we didn't stay conservative for that, a gamble we lost.
Deteriorated as a player after 2015 despite a career best season in 2016 where he was AA and B&F... His 2017 wasn't too bad either as a whole.

Man that was a terrible decision. Just about the least qualified leader in our entire squad
Says he who doesn't know him. CLEARLY the players who did, thought he was worthy of the role. I thought it a strange decision too.... but like I said, we don't know them, the ones that vote, do.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Deteriorated as a player after 2015 despite a career best season in 2016 where he was AA and B&F... His 2017 wasn't too bad either as a whole.

He hasn't addressed why he wasn't made captain when there was competition for his spot. Ihr said he accepted the critissism from Walsh and vowed to show different.

Did he actually have an opponant in 2016?

When they started tagging him, he become a liability and started getting injured. And he's never really broken the tag thing.

So Next season an ageing player who is physically weak for the position he plays, who has struggled with injury and form for two years, will captain us. As soon as he gets into a game, they'll tag him out of it. If he manages to break a few, hell then get injured. A young side with a vulnerable unproven captain, with form issues is a recipe for disaster. Once they take him out the game, we'll fall like Nine pins.

The captain should of been a defender. You can't take them out the game, if you want to win.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
So after listening to Nicks on Sportsday, there wasn’t a vote as such for the leadership group.

Sounds like Nicks put it together after conversations with the players individually.

We have been labelled a boys club.
We have a chairman and ricciuto who are dictators. Only ever choose thier Mates.

Nobody can sack Chapman and ricciuto told us if we don't accept everything they do, go find another club.

This is just typical adelaide football club culture. I wonder how Much business interests sloane has with Chapman and roo.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
We have a chairman and ricciuto who are dictators. Only ever choose thier Mates.

Nobody can sack Chapman and ricciuto told us if we don't accept everything they do, go find another club.

This is just typical adelaide football club culture. I wonder how Much business interests sloane has with Chapman and roo.

How was Italy Rucc?

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He hasn't addressed why he wasn't made captain when there was competition for his spot. Ihr said he accepted the critissism from Walsh and vowed to show different.

Did he actually have an opponant in 2016?

When they started tagging him, he become a liability and started getting injured. And he's never really broken the tag thing.

So Next season an ageing player who is physically weak for the position he plays, who has struggled with injury and form for two years, will captain us. As soon as he gets into a game, they'll tag him out of it. If he manages to break a few, hell then get injured. A young side with a vulnerable unproven captain, with form issues is a recipe for disaster. Once they take him out the game, we'll fall like Nine pins.

The captain should of been a defender. You can't take them out the game, if you want to win.
Eg: Jonas you are kidding

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Grub

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Finally got the guy that everyone has said should have been our captain for the past 12-24 months and he's been invisible.

Sloane's time as a midfielder looks done from everything we've seen this year so assuming we stays at the club going forward, where can we start to play him that might see a second life to his career? Typically our option is to just throw them forward which he can take a good mark for someone his size however like anyone that plays forward for us, he'll have a rough time doing anything.

Wing seems to be an option where his gut running should be an advantage but I dare say we've tried that this year for little output.

I personally wonder how he'd go across half back/pack pocket? Feel like this was a position he played at as a junior? Feel like setting him the task of beating his direct opponent is something he'd manage to do and would do the team thing/one percenters you need from your defenders. I wouldn't want this to come at the expense of a young, developing player though, it would have to be a Brown/Kelly type. Is it worth it? I don't know...

It really blows my mind how many players we have that are great on paper yet unable to do anything for us right now. We really need big changes off-field this season yet that will be a battle with football caps reducing by 30 odd percent I think I saw.

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
Finally got the guy that everyone has said should have been our captain for the past 12-24 months and he's been invisible.

Sloane's time as a midfielder looks done from everything we've seen this year so assuming we stays at the club going forward, where can we start to play him that might see a second life to his career? Typically our option is to just throw them forward which he can take a good mark for someone his size however like anyone that plays forward for us, he'll have a rough time doing anything.

Wing seems to be an option where his gut running should be an advantage but I dare say we've tried that this year for little output.

I personally wonder how he'd go across half back/pack pocket? Feel like this was a position he played at as a junior? Feel like setting him the task of beating his direct opponent is something he'd manage to do and would do the team thing/one percenters you need from your defenders. I wouldn't want this to come at the expense of a young, developing player though, it would have to be a Brown/Kelly type. Is it worth it? I don't know...

It really blows my mind how many players we have that are great on paper yet unable to do anything for us right now. We really need big changes off-field this season yet that will be a battle with football caps reducing by 30 odd percent I think I saw.

It's pretty sad that we need to try and find an easier spot on the ground for our Captain and highest paid player because his midfield days are over.
And we need to do this for the next three years

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I had never questioned his effort before. An absolute warrior. Today he looked disinterested. Tough to watch.
I don't think he was disinterested, he's just done.

I don't think he was disinterested, he's just done.
Yeah I would never question his heart. His body however is letting him down. Seems to have lost a yard or 2 of pave and as a result spends the whole game chasing.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Let's hope he is disinterested and the thought of playing finals in Melbourne is creeping into his psyche. Would be great to get him off the books, but it can't be done if he doesn't want to go. Captaincy to Doedee and we can start this rebuild without the anchors of the past weighing us down.
I suspect the captaincy will go to him anyway next season

His style of player of his career meant he was never going to last well into his 30s. His commitment should never be questioned, but his time in the midfield is done. He's always been good overhead, so we really should be looking at moving him forward for the last few years of his career. Not ideal at all given his contract status, but we can't have him plodding through the middle, getting destroyed in the clearances and not giving the kids a run in there.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Remember Boak went through a stage of looking done as well, but came back pretty strongly last 18 months.

Think Rory's still got it in him. Wouldn't mind pushing him to a half forward.
Agree with this. We should be able to get plenty more of good football out of him. Are we that broken that even our stars become village grade triers?

Hmmm... don't answer that.

I do think that for lowly teams there are weeks where the enormity of the task ahead hits you and is overwhelming. You get spanked, are nowhere in terms of intensity etc. These results can happen in between other more promising performances and make you question whether there has been any progress at all.

I hardly saw any of today but from comments I'm reading maybe it was one of those.

Back