Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Boak is a much classier player. Rory has played on heart and brute force. Much harder for Rory to rejuvenate.
Depends how banged up he really is.

Could be a very dangerous HF/FP if he has something left to give.

I've not really seen him leading at the ball carrier, so hard to say. What a sh*t situation though, trying to find a new role for an $800k player in the last 2-3 years of their career. An absolute debacle.
Probably 1 or 2 years, if he doesn't get any better he'll retire himself.

It's pretty sad that we need to try and find an easier spot on the ground for our Captain and highest paid player because his midfield days are over.
And we need to do this for the next three years
Agreed yet at the same time I don't think we'd have banked on him being in the guts for the next 3-4 years (however long his contract is), at least I hope not. You'd think that we'd have planned some kind of transition to another role for the twilight of his career. Think his attitude/mentality would be great as a defender, maybe become a bit of a general down back? Feel like he'll go forward if/when that time comes but would like to see him trialled at the other end of the ground.

I think this whole idea that he can float forward and make an impact is, unfortunately, not particularly true. For the past 2-3 seasons, in an effort to break tags, he has spent a not insignificant amount of time already playing across the half forward line/half back line/on the wing. And, again unfortunately, he hasn’t really taken to any of those positions. His gut running, hard tackling, in and under clearance work, strong marking and ability to hit the scoreboard has all dropped off in the last few years. And this year he looks decidedly average. I don’t think he’s been bad... like Bryce Gibbs bad. But more ordinary... like David Mackay ordinary. And that is certainly not what you want from your captain and top 3 money earners with 3 years left to run on his contract.

He should play half-forward and rotate on the wing. So basically, the 2020 Lynch position.

Sloane the attributes - fit (usually), tackles hard, great mark, a pretty decent shot for goal despite his field kick not being brilliant. Do it and allow him to assist the team while given young guys (and Laird) true midfield time.

Like a lot of players right now he seems to really be struggling with fitness.

I mean his weapon at AFL level was gut running, two way running, tackling, strength at the contest. Our entire squad is unfit and physically weak. That totally wrecks a player like Sloane that doesn't have speed or elite skills to fall back on.

Not excusing his efforts today because he was terrible. But if he can get that fitness back, I think he could still be valuable

He should play half-forward and rotate on the wing. So basically, the 2020 Lynch position.

Sloane the attributes - fit (usually), tackles hard, great mark, a pretty decent shot for goal despite his field kick not being brilliant. Do it and allow him to assist the team while given young guys (and Laird) true midfield time.
The contract he was given was for our top mid and equivalent to what a top 10 mid of the comp would get. Currently he isn't even a mid. Terrible contract. Why can't our club make the right decisions that other clubs don't struggle with?
I'll tell you why. As they care more about reactions from supporters who know nothing than doing what needs to be done to win a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like a lot of players right now he seems to really be struggling with fitness.

I mean his weapon at AFL level was gut running, two way running, tackling, strength at the contest. Our entire squad is unfit and physically weak. That totally wrecks a player like Sloane that doesn't have speed or elite skills to fall back on.

Not excusing his efforts today because he was terrible. But if he can get that fitness back, I think he could still be valuable
And as much as I'd like to blame the fitness staff for this given how much I love Sloane as a player, he's been at that elite level of fitness before so he knows what's required on his end. If he doesn't have it, which he doesn't appear to have then that problem is surely his. Thought he'd have come back stronger after the injury as he looked banged up to start the season, body should have healed in that time and stuff like fitness could have been built on.

With any luck it was a rusty first game back but given he wasn't around it at all, I'm not holding my breath.

And as much as I'd like to blame the fitness staff for this given how much I love Sloane as a player, he's been at that elite level of fitness before so he knows what's required on his end. If he doesn't have it, which he doesn't appear to have then that problem is surely his. Thought he'd have come back stronger after the injury as he looked banged up to start the season, body should have healed in that time and stuff like fitness could have been built on.

With any luck it was a rusty first game back but given he wasn't around it at all, I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah I get that. But when I look across the squad, how many guys are in good shape? Not just aerobic fitness, but leg and upper body strength? It's maybe Ben Keays and....?

If there were guys out there tearing it up and Sloane looked unfit, then I could blame him. But when it's the entire squad rocking up to every match totally cooked, I think it's a program issue. I don't think we are setting the right fitness targets, I don't think we are doing the right things and especially I don't think we have an adequate strength program

I love Rory, but to me he is a midfielder and that's it. Any benefit of having him as a small forward or wingman is cancelled out by what his opponent will be able to do.

I would be telling him in 2021 it is midfield or nothing. He has to get himself into condition to make an impact. If that means he doesn't play again this year to get over injuries or even work on his conditioning then so be it.

I hate to say it but Boak managed to do it so Rory needs to give it go.

Last edited:
Yeah I get that. But when I look across the squad, how many guys are in good shape? Not just aerobic fitness, but leg and upper body strength? It's maybe Ben Keays and....?

If there were guys out there tearing it up and Sloane looked unfit, then I could blame him. But when it's the entire squad rocking up to every match totally cooked, I think it's a program issue. I don't think we are setting the right fitness targets, I don't think we are doing the right things and especially I don't think we have an adequate strength program
Fitness and strength has deteriorated since Poulos left. Hass needs to go.

Last edited:
Nicks said in his presser that Rory hasn't got the match fitness for full time midfield at the moment and his minutes would increase game on game.

Nicks said in his presser that Rory hasn't got the match fitness for full time midfield at the moment and his minutes would increase game on game.

Why isn't he required to work on his fitness in the 2s like the kids. Played 80% TOG, I love this 2 speed selection philosophy, great for team culture.

Why isn't he required to work on his fitness in the 2s like the kids. Played 80% TOG, I love this 2 speed selection philosophy, great for team culture.
Club has always had a mindset that experience will solve all ills. The club can't seem to deal with the fact that a players best days are behind them. I don't know when this philosophy started of mistrust of youth. Perhaps as far back as Craig or just after he was fired. They are getting what they deserve currently for this ****ed up philosophy.

Sloane loves playing footy more than ever at the moment. I'm not sure he's all there. That kind of positivity must be infuriating to realists.
This is the bloke that enjoyed the Gold Coast camp don't forget.

100%. You don't finagle a long term security deal just to retire half way through it.
Especially when you go on radio and say 'my next deal is my last one and I need to look after me and my family'.

But nah, saint Rory loves the club so much he'd play for free if you asked him!

Back