Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one both puzzled and pissed off that Sloane - he’s our captain, remember - has been absolutely missing in action on the media front during the worst year in our history?

I know he’s been injured in recent weeks but I haven’t seen him do a media conference since the COVID restart. Other players are doing it, heck Murphy has done two in the last month.

Front up and promote/defend/explain the club, Skipper.

Finally got the guy that everyone has said should have been our captain for the past 12-24 months and he's been invisible.

Sloane's time as a midfielder looks done from everything we've seen this year so assuming we stays at the club going forward, where can we start to play him that might see a second life to his career? Typically our option is to just throw them forward which he can take a good mark for someone his size however like anyone that plays forward for us, he'll have a rough time doing anything.

Wing seems to be an option where his gut running should be an advantage but I dare say we've tried that this year for little output.

I personally wonder how he'd go across half back/pack pocket? Feel like this was a position he played at as a junior? Feel like setting him the task of beating his direct opponent is something he'd manage to do and would do the team thing/one percenters you need from your defenders. I wouldn't want this to come at the expense of a young, developing player though, it would have to be a Brown/Kelly type. Is it worth it? I don't know...

It really blows my mind how many players we have that are great on paper yet unable to do anything for us right now. We really need big changes off-field this season yet that will be a battle with football caps reducing by 30 odd percent I think I saw.
I wanted Sloane to be a half back this year or play some forward but little to no Midfield play. The coaches and players just did the same old thing because you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings(typical Adelaide). Watching the end of last season with Sloane/B.Crouch/M.Crouch in the midfield just getting destroyed was a big eye opener for those 3 playing together.

Am I the only one both puzzled and pissed off that Sloane - he’s our captain, remember - has been absolutely missing in action on the media front during the worst year in our history?

I know he’s been injured in recent weeks but I haven’t seen him do a media conference since the COVID restart. Other players are doing it, heck Murphy has done two in the last month.

Front up and promote/defend/explain the club, Skipper.
He is a bit like Fagan, You will only hear from them when things are very good. He was Skipper on paper alone last year While Tex still led the team and pretty much took all the blame from the Top down at the Crows in the Media but the media didn't really talk abut anyone ells.

Not sure Sloane can be captain next year. He isn't good enough anymore.

Doedee full time for me.
Doedee also represents the club and leads on and off the field.

The absence of representation by the captain during the worst season on record is astounding. I'm sure they want to drive traffic through AFC media, but there comes a time when the captain needs to stand up.

Agreed yet at the same time I don't think we'd have banked on him being in the guts for the next 3-4 years (however long his contract is), at least I hope not. You'd think that we'd have planned some kind of transition to another role for the twilight of his career. Think his attitude/mentality would be great as a defender, maybe become a bit of a general down back? Feel like he'll go forward if/when that time comes but would like to see him trialled at the other end of the ground.
He could well be the forward link up player we have been missing.

He can run, is great overhead and poor by foot, so could play the role Lynch has been doing

All of our senior players, and I mean ALL of them suck right now. From Gibbs through to Tex and Sloane

Surely it can’t all be them? Every single individual?

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

I have to agree with this. How can the entirety of our seniors turn to garbage?

June 27, 2018

“I 100 per cent game back from that camp feeling like a better husband, a better son and a much better teammate than when I was before I left for that camp. For me the experience was unbelievable,” Sloane said.

“It’s possible that Rory Sloane found the camp as transformational as that. But given all the evidence we now know, it’s probably hard to believe,” Judd said.

“When I did hear Rory Sloane talk like that about the camp, it just reminded me of the pressures players are under for group thinking and to toe the party line — and when you do toe the party line for an extended period of time, there is a big cost to players. A little piece of you dies each time you say something publicly that you don’t actually believe.”

Judd said he “constantly” toed the party line as a player and that “the vast majority of players do it”.

“I don’t think you want to underestimate the importance of players still being able to have individual thought and being able to say what they think.

“When they are constantly toeing the party line, we can underestimate the long-term effects it can have on players.”

“Juddy, as nice as it would be if we were married, I think the only people who can comment on whether I have become a better husband or son is my wife and parents,” Sloane said.

No mentioned of teammates in your rebuttal Sloaney?

Jump to August 2020

Now in his 12th season with Adelaide, Sloane says he’s loving his football more than ever.

“Tex was saying to me the other day: ‘How good is the job we have’,” he says.

“Although I haven’t been part of a year that’s had a win-loss record like this … I love playing footy more than ever.

So Sloaney is enjoying his footy more than ever and Tex is wandering around saying how great his job currently is. Nah, we've got no problems with the senior leadership at our club. These guys are physically and mentally cooked. Need both of these guys out of our club at first opportunity.

Pretty easily.

Between COVID and the fact that we've said we're rebuilding, our on and off field leaders can cruise around like a 9-5 office worker, content with where they are at, and safe in the knowledge that their positions aren't under any threat. Those with long term contracts can do even less - look at how Brown has dropped off since signing a new deal.

Nicks is the only one who gives the appearance of being frustrated or under any sort of pressure. For good reason.

Now in his 12th season with Adelaide, Sloane says he’s loving his football more than ever.

“Although I haven’t been part of a year that’s had a win-loss record like this … I love playing footy more than ever.
We've heard this before

David Burtenshaw: Our leaders are really coming under fire, particularly Neil and VB. I think we need to re-establish that respect. Once people lose faith in the leaders things degenerate very quickly. Neil… we need you to be the calm, in-control club leader in your press conferences. Lately you’ve be making some… odd comments that people are scratching their heads over.

Neil Craig: Like what?

David Burtenshaw: Well, all this super-positive stuff. I know you’re trying to appear upbeat but comments like “most exciting list” and “loving coaching more than ever” just come across as forced and fake.

Neil Craig: I mean them though.

Phil Harper: So you love losing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jump to August 2020

So Sloaney is enjoying his footy more than ever and Tex is wandering around saying how great his job currently is. Nah, we've got no problems with the senior leadership at our club. These guys are physically and mentally cooked. Need both of these guys out of our club at first opportunity.
I get it. Imagine getting paid so much while performing so poorly, with almost no expectations or accountability?

Living the dream.

I get it. Imagine getting paid so much while performing so poorly, with almost no expectations or accountability?

Living the dream.
We're the public service of football clubs

Not sure Sloane can be captain next year. He isn't good enough anymore.

Doedee full time for me.
Doedee captain, Rob vice captain. Embrace the rebuild.
Talia was my preferred option for captain but it doesn't seem like he wanted it, not even in the leadership group this year.

Can Doedee stay on the park long enough to be captain ? :(

Sloane should still be playing good football. No idea what has gone wrong with him. Was our spiritual leader not so long ago

well if Sloane is the heart of the club it makes sense he's doing so poorly.

The heart can't keep pumping as strongly when the entire body around it is diseased. Those issues are going to make their way into the heart and destroy it as surely as they would any other organ.

There is clearly an irreparable rift between the senior players and the admin (from the camp I'm guessing) and the senior players are playing like guys collecting a pay check and not with any real heart. Unfortunately for the senior players, they can't trade / delist the admin.

All of our senior players, and I mean ALL of them suck right now. From Gibbs through to Tex and Sloane

Surely it can’t all be them? Every single individual?

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

This is Nicks biggest indictment for me, every senior player out of form/career worst just doesn't happen - he hasn't sold his vision.

He has not got one of them onboard, then you throw in crap selections, crap skill level, crap fitness, crap structures and a gameplan (if he has one) not suited to his players.

This is Nicks biggest indictment for me, every senior player out of form/career worst just doesn't happen - he hasn't sold his vision.

He has not got one of them onboard, then you throw in crap selections, crap skill level, crap fitness, crap structures and a gameplan (if he has one) not suited to his players.

Or... drumroll, you've cooked your fitness program.

No coach has a snowballs hope in hell of doing anything if you are coming from such a base that a club can only last a half fitness wise. Does not matter if you have an amazing vision, great players, revolutionary structures etc if you cannot match the amount of running an opponent side can do. After all, inevitably you cannot keep pushing and you ball movement dies with it.

That said, I do suspect Nicks is playing a game plan that isn't suited to the level of fitness this squad has. However, the gameplan that might help this side in the short term has no potential whatsoever of being anything other than mid-tables/"token" finalist at peak, seeing it would be a slow, grinding, very contested style, similar to what we played early last year.

Last edited:

Or there is someone being a hindrance and the players have had a gutfull of the interfering.

Back