Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I get it. Imagine getting paid so much while performing so poorly, with almost no expectations or accountability?

Living the dream.
Spot on.
These guys choked gf day and will never play in another.
They have young families and footy simply isn't as important anymore.
Throw in a bloke they look up to in Roo who is totally about using the club as his personal profile/wealth builder and you quickly learn how to play the game $

Gee, who would ever think that having no accountability at the club could lead to this.
This club looks like a gravy train for those left.
No pressure to perform because we are 'rebuilding'

Doedee captain, Rob vice captain. Embrace the rebuild.
Talia was my preferred option for captain but it doesn't seem like he wanted it, not even in the leadership group this year.
Yeah I wouldn't be adverse to ROB being VC to Tom.

Spot on.
These guys choked gf day and will never play in another.
They have young families and footy simply isn't as important anymore.
Throw in a bloke they look up to in Roo who is totally about using the club as his personal profile/wealth builder and you quickly learn how to play the game $
I think all of these are true but highlighted is definitely the case for Tex and Sloane. I don't see any passion for the club / guernsey any more. Sloane's concussions over the years may also be a factor - I'm not sure he's put his head over the ball since 2017. Tex needed to lose a few kilos and do some work with sprinters or something to allow him to get into space more often - he's just such a liability once he doesn't get the ball. As others have suggested in other threads, I think I'd put Sloane at half-back and let him do the Doedee role for a few weeks to see if he can get his hands on the ball. If Tex stays in then he has to play deep where we have some chance of stopping the opposition from strolling out of half back with the ball under no pressure. On captaincy...TD is the future.

Walker now doing the Thommo and going public with his desire to continue on as a player next year. "Loyal servant" my arse, in it for himself thinking only of himself, as seems to be a very consistent theme among our senior player as they near the end. No doing the best for the club and making the decision easy for these guys. No wonder we're as s**t as we are. s**t admin, s**t senior player culture.

Was that last year or the one before? You wouldn't think so, it gets right and you're good to go.
I can't remember what particular injury it was but with stress injuries often you can only manage certain thresholds before it flares again

As opposed to say a broken arm from impact

Then you're retired, not extended for 4 years on top coin.
Wouldn't be many players not nursing something as they get older

Macca made it through the bulk of his career with bone on bone knee issues but was managed well

It can be done but I wonder if Rory relied on pushing himself to the brink

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be many players not nursing something as they get older

Macca made it through the bulk of his career with bone on bone knee issues but was managed well

It can be done but I wonder if Rory relied on pushing himself to the brink

Macca had elite speed and elite disposal on both sides. Definitely managed a knee, did heaps of bike work. Rory Sloane's point of difference was a kamikaze attitude combined with what you described. If he can no longer get fit, he's pretty much done.

It's interesting that Sloane and Walker both had foot issues and have now both fallen off the cliff seemingly before time.

I wonder if we still explore swimming and bike riding or other low impact ways to allow oldies to push themselves without breaking down?

Or if it's just 2k'ers all round

Sloane "fell off a cliff" in 2018 as well and returned to pretty decent form once he was dropped to actually recover from his injuries. Surely most of the fix is not letting him play injured.

It's interesting that Sloane and Walker both had foot issues and have now both fallen off the cliff seemingly before time.

I wonder if we still explore swimming and bike riding or other low impact ways to allow oldies to push themselves without breaking down?

Or if it's just 2k'ers all round

They and Tex himself were talking about him playing on a wing this year. If foot remains an issue, you'd think he'd lose weight and you probably wouldn't run him as ruck support. But you're right, Hass can't get anyone fit, what hope has he creating a program nuanced for battered bodies with specific limitations.

They and Tex himself were talking about him playing on a wing this year. If foot remains an issue, you'd think he'd lose weight and you probably wouldn't run him as ruck support. But you're right, Hass can't get anyone fit, what hope has he creating a program nuanced for battered bodies with specific limitations.
I have my suspicions we had more than a few players who thought the season would be cancelled and didn't really do all that much fitness work during the shutdown period and now they're paying the price for it.

I have my suspicions we had more than a few players who thought the season would be cancelled and didn't really do all that much fitness work during the shutdown period and now they're paying the price for it.

Doc Clarke on 5AA a couple of weeks ago basically admitted training standards when the season resumed "weren't where they needed to be".

Doc Clarke on 5AA a couple of weeks ago basically admitted training standards when the season resumed "weren't where they needed to be".
In one way it's actually a relief that our fitness is so poor.

Imagine if we were this far off the pace purely based on football ability?

The easiest area to improve. Doesn't rely on trading, drafting, skill development, game plan, coaching panel

Plus there's a wider field to recruit from given that expertise travels across multiple sports whereas midfield coach for instance is specific to AFL

In one way it's actually a relief that our fitness is so poor.

Imagine if we were this far off the pace purely based on football ability?

The easiest area to improve. Doesn't rely on trading, drafting, skill development, game plan, coaching panel

Plus there's a wider field to recruit from given that expertise travels across multiple sports whereas midfield coach for instance is specific to AFL

Or SANFL. That's where you get the best midfield coaches from.

When is it time to talk about Rory?

Has been in significant decline the last 3 years, has another 3 years to go (about to turn 31) as our highest player, and inexplicably made captain again this year.

I disagree with the significant decline in the last three years comment, the numbers don't back that one up at all (noting Sloanes 2019 pretty similar in terms of production to his 2016-17 season). 24.6 d/4.4 m/5.8 t/6 cl/4.5 to/5.6 si/328.6 mg in 2019, compared to 24.2 d/3.1 m/7.8 t/6.3 cl/4.5 to/7.1 si/352.8 mg for 2017, just picking a swathe of key stats. Outside of tackles, which potentially is a red flag that Sloane isn't as athletic as he was in 2017, and score involvements, which makes sense as Adelaide in 2019 is a much worse team then 2017 being the two main discrepancies. Both seasons also produced a handful of horror games for Sloane as well.

Really though, we're talking about someone who had been producing at a reasonable similar level for a long period, before having a steep drop off last year. The fact Sloane is past thirty, and spent 12 years in the league playing a physical game doesn't bode well with that kind of drop off, however, it's probably a question saved for the middle of the season. By then we should have a good picture whether there is anything left in the tank, or 2020 has become the new normal.

Last edited:
Back