Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I disagree with the significant decline in the last three years comment, the numbers don't back that one up at all (noting Sloanes 2019 pretty similar in terms of production to his 2016-17 season). 24.6 d/4.4 m/5.8 t/6 cl/4.5 to/5.6 si/328.6 mg in 2019, compared to 24.2 d/3.1 m/7.8 t/6.3 cl/4.5 to/7.1 si/352.8 mg for 2017, just picking a swathe of key stats. Outside of tackles, which potentially is a red flag that Sloane isn't as athletic as he was in 2017, and score involvements, which makes sense as Adelaide in 2019 is a much worse team then 2017 being the two main discrepancies. Both seasons also produced a handful of horror games for Sloane as well.

Really though, we're talking about someone who had been producing at a reasonable similar level for a long period, before having a steep drop off last year. The fact Sloane is past thirty, and spent 12 years in the league playing a physical game doesn't bode well with that kind of drop off, however, it's probably a question saved for the middle of the season. By then we should have a good picture whether there is anything left in the tank, or 2020 has become the new normal.

he’s been a non-factor since 2017 when teams discovered they could tag him out of the game

his actual production since 2018 has been dire for one of our so called leaders

When is it time to talk about Rory?

Has been in significant decline the last 3 years, has another 3 years to go (about to turn 31) as our highest player, and inexplicably made captain again this year.

I get shot down every time I bring this up.

Has never been the same player since that foot injury in 2018.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is it time to talk about Rory?

Has been in significant decline the last 3 years, has another 3 years to go (about to turn 31) as our highest player, and inexplicably made captain again this year.

I've been talking about him ever since he shat on his teammates to curry favour with admin. Also said he was enjoying his footy more than ever last year when we were about 12 games in without a win. Culture killer.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I've said before captain schmaptain.

Rory is a leader at our club, bashing his stint as a leader seems to be fun for some ... I'll not jump on that wagon. The players and coaches seem to think very differently to supporters on this point. Will be interested to see the Amazon Doco around what Rory went through / how he handled it last year.

If we are talking pure football output - then yeah he is struggling to get back to his peak. Other players in his "class" from 2016 / 2017 have stepped up a cog, Rory has not for lots of reasons.

Let's see what Nicks does with Rory in 2021, will be a real indicator of where he is at. If he doesn't find a role that delivers on game-day then his worth to the 22 as a leader becomes irrelevant. Cannot carry someone for leadership only, I think Rory would agree with that.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I've said before captain schmaptain.

Rory is a leader at our club, bashing his stint as a leader seems to be fun for some ... I'll not jump on that wagon. The players and coaches seem to think very differently to supporters on this point. Will be interested to see the Amazon Doco around what Rory went through / how he handled it last year.

If we are talking pure football output - then yeah he is struggling to get back to his peak. Other players in his "class" from 2016 / 2017 have stepped up a cog, Rory has not for lots of reasons.

Let's see what Nicks does with Rory in 2021, will be a real indicator of where he is at. If he doesn't find a role that delivers on game-day then his worth to the 22 as a leader becomes irrelevant. Cannot carry someone for leadership only, I think Rory would agree with that.

he certainly seemed to struggle with balancing the difference between leadership of the playing group, and being out front representing the club publicly

it’s not that they’re incompatible roles, quite the opposite but in trying to assuage the supporter by being super positive about things like camp and our first spoon season, he’s going to run the risk of upsetting players who might feel very differently

I just think he owes all his focus to the playing group and not contentious issues supporting admin

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
he certainly seemed to struggle with balancing the difference between leadership of the playing group, and being out front representing the club publicly

it’s not that they’re incompatible roles, quite the opposite but in trying to assuage the supporter by being super positive about things like camp and our first spoon season, he’s going to run the risk of upsetting players who might feel very differently

I just think he owes all his focus to the playing group and not contentious issues supporting admin
Completely agree. I'd like to know what he said to his team mates that struggled with the camp, and the ongoing fallout. If he was not empathetic to the playing group ... but was watching where his bread was buttered, I'd be very surprised and disappointed.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Completely agree. I'd like to know what he said to his team mates that struggled with the camp, and the ongoing fallout. If he was not empathetic to the playing group ... but was watching where his bread was buttered, I'd be very surprised and disappointed.

You only need to listen to what he actually said and you have your answer.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
After yesterday him and Walker look to have come back this season just as stubborn/delusional as ever, the type of players/people they are they will always try to be the solution to the problem and they sadly just aren’t and haven’t been for years now but they will just never get their heads around that while they’re still playing for the club.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
After yesterday him and Walker look to have come back this season just as stubborn/delusional as ever, the type of players/people they are they will always try to be the solution to the problem and they sadly just aren’t and haven’t been for years now but they will just never get their heads around that while they’re still playing for the club.
What exactly was wrong with Tex's game yesterday? Tex and Frampton were really the only 2 forwards that "earn't" their pay yesterday,,,,McAdam was almost invisible and Rowe looked to be chasing kicks further up the ground when I see his major asset being his craftiness around goal, Lynch didn't get a whole lot of game time from what I recall of the game without watching the replay? Sloane was certainly underwhelming and needs to lift.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
You only need to listen to what he actually said and you have your answer.
I'm less convinced that we know the story 1970. I know what you are saying, you feel he didn't do enough for you, the fan, last year. I want to know what his peers in the club think. Voting him unanimously to captain for 2021 goes against you a bit so far.

This clip just released also seems to be counter to your position:

Unless of course you think he really is just sucking up to the suits? It's possible, just not that probable imo.

Keen to see what was going on behind the scenes - even the vanilla version we will see - before I put a club legend that has NEVER let us down into the bin.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
What exactly was wrong with Tex's game yesterday? Tex and Frampton were really the only 2 forwards that "earn't" their pay yesterday,,,,McAdam was almost invisible and Rowe looked to be chasing kicks further up the ground when I see his major asset being his craftiness around goal, Lynch didn't get a whole lot of game time from what I recall of the game without watching the replay? Sloane was certainly underwhelming and needs to lift.
I still don’t see anything that Tex does on field that is actually helping the club solve its current issues or helping it going forward, he’ll still kick a couple of goals and mark the ball up field because of his years of veteran knowledge of leading patterns and left over talent he still has, just as Sloane will play some prominent games through the year and get his hands on the ball 25 times in a few games but my issues are just that; where does those 2 putting themselves in prominent positions trying to still be the ‘Alpha’s’ get the team?

Tex at least you can see he's worked hard this off-season. Even if it ends in tears for him this year, at least he's put the effort in.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm less convinced that we know the story 1970. I know what you are saying, you feel he didn't do enough for you, the fan, last year. I want to know what his peers in the club think. Voting him unanimously to captain for 2021 goes against you a bit so far.

This clip just released also seems to be counter to your position:

Unless of course you think he really is just sucking up to the suits? It's possible, just not that probable imo.

Keen to see what was going on behind the scenes - even the vanilla version we will see - before I put a club legend that has NEVER let us down into the bin.

I expect nothing from him re being a supporter. What I can't accept is him burning his teammates who'd been silenced (remember the NDA) by talking up the camp as the best thing ever in order to take heat off of Burton et al. And then saying he was enjoying his footy more than ever at 0-12 is testament to the fact he's an admin shill. Can't respect someone like that. Plus, our culture is known to be crap, he's been a leader for a while, I'd bin them all and move on.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Watch the Amazon doco piece, anyone who thinks less of the Sloane's as people after watching that are dead set pieces of excrement

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
i thought we were talking about him as captain and player?
Some are, others a denigrating him as a bloke.

He's not the same player that much is clear. Is he a good captain ?? Given the result of a player vote I'd say he's not too bad at that either.

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
Rory is the best leader for us right now. If not Rory, who? Talias not even in the leadership group and Doedee cant even stay on the park, Walker was exposed in the GF for what he is as a captain - a fraud who self admitted to being scared of the occasion. Game done before we stepped out with that sort of leadership. Oh and he is a meme. Rory always backs the boys and the club almost no matter what, and backed the club to a fault unfortunately with the camp. I prefer Talias brutal honesty style but there really arent alternative captain options right now. He's been captain while the club has been toxic from top down, from ceo to chairman to the worst footy department. His playing ability has suffered, injuries and age likely a factor.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Rory is the best leader for us right now. If not Rory, who? Talias not even in the leadership group and Doedee cant even stay on the park, Walker was exposed in the GF for what he is as a captain - a fraud who self admitted to being scared of the occasion. Game done before we stepped out with that sort of leadership. Oh and he is a meme. Rory always backs the boys and the club almost no matter what, and backed the club to a fault unfortunately with the camp. I prefer Talias brutal honesty style but there really arent alternativ captain options right now. He's been captain while the club has been toxic from top down, from ceo to chairman to the worst footy department. His playing ability has suffered, injuries and age likely a factor.
Tex a fraud ?? Lol.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Walker was exposed in the GF for what he is as a captain - a fraud who self admitted to being scared of the occasion.

D7DFC0D5-4D61-45B4-9572-270210425716.jpeg

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Would Rory Sloane do what Travis Boak has done? Relinquish the captaincy and focus a bit more on his own game and fitness. Boak has enjoyed a late career resurgence. Tex too.

Should Rory hand it over for 2022?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would Rory Sloane do what Travis Boak has done? Relinquish the captaincy and focus a bit more on his own game and fitness. Boak has enjoyed a late career resurgence. Tex too.

Should Rory hand it over for 2022?

no and then yes. Rory is more your VB type than Tex type. Would be very surprised if he handed back the status that comes with captaincy.

Back