Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Both sides of the Sloane talk have points

Yes, he’s on way too much money and we gave him too many years back in 2018
Yes, he’s still a pretty good player that will be able to make an impact off a flank for the next two seasons, before retirement

The contract would hurt more if we weren’t rebuilding

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
It's simply how value Sloane. Wouldn't trade him for anyone as we might as well pack up the club without him.
As opposed to your view where you not only dismiss him as a footballer but attack him as a person.

deeztreez

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Both sides of the Sloane talk have points

Yes, he’s on way too much money and we gave him too many years back in 2018
Yes, he’s still a pretty good player that will be able to make an impact off a flank for the next two seasons, before retirement

The contract would hurt more if we weren’t rebuilding
Hardly worth debating. Sloane injury free still has good footy left in him. He is a loyal, important figurehead for the young group. IMO not a big problem for us at the moment.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
The argument is whether we'd be better off without him.

We wouldn't be.

obviously it actually depends on what he's replaced with. It's like the old Thommo argument saying, "well, we'll lose those clearances and tackles at the stoppages". You know what, we're not just talking about cancelling the role and playing with 17 on the field. If Sloane had gone, we'd have kept Brad Crouch, our midfield performance would be no worse.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
As opposed to your view where you not only dismiss him as a footballer but attack him as a person.
There's no point discussing Sloane with 1970.

He has an irrational hatred of him. There's hundreds of posts this year alone that he's made on Sloane and all of them are just agressively negative.

Just scroll by, it's easier.

CROUCH #2

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are playing Sloane to be a captain and get the best out of kids on and off the track.

I don't think its coincidence we have alot of young player's having a crack like Sloane did in his prime.

We are not paying Sloane to get 30 disposables and 3 goals a game to win a premiership.

We are paying him to speed track our rebuild and development of our young guns

AdvancedCrowbot

Senior List
Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Those arguing about Sloane 2022 should bet a carton on his performance. Something quantitative. Or in the spirit of Crom a bottle of Chardonnay or two.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

I don't dismiss him as a footballer, my argument all along is that we need to remove some of his midfield minutes to spread to the next generation coming through. I've often posted that each of our 4 mids are worthy components in nearly every other midfield in the comp, but as a group they're a problem. I recognise his good (or great, see Suns game) aling with the crap he dishes up because he's clearly injured.

I don't attack him as a person, probably a great guy. I attack him as the captain of a club that fostered a toxic and divided playing group. Where players lost trust with Admin and amongst themselves. I do that because whilst players were hurting but being silenced because NDA's, he was happy to be rolled out to tell everyone how brilliant the camp was.

Problem is that you can't differentiate individual negative points that forms an overall view. Just as you just did with George Kramer where he listed numerous inarguable points that you dismiss out of hand because they ultimately lead to a view that differs from your own.

To clarify;
Sloane is undoubtably best 22
Sloane would still be a worthwhile cog in almost all other midfields
Sloane (and Kaird and Keays) should have their midfield minutes reduced in favour of deepening our rotation and getting minutes into kids whilst he's still around to get in there and do heavy lifting as required
Sloane (and Tex and Talia) have played injured far too much the last few years to the detriment of the team and list as a whole and their own careers
Sloane has been one of our club's great players
Our club reached its nadir under Sloane's captaincy and co-captaincy
A good captain wouldn't have publicly spruiked collective minds given the shitstorm that was brewing among fellow players who weren't allowed to express their own views
A good captain doesn't say that Rob Chapman is the protector and godfather of a club that he brought to its knees

Last edited:
Could do so yes, you only have to look at my comments on Rendell throughout this entire board to know I'm not a fan.

40 is a stretch but 30-35 is well in the ball park.
40 is the right number

deeztreez

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are playing Sloane to be a captain and get the best out of kids on and off the track.

I don't think its coincidence we have alot of young player's having a crack like Sloane did in his prime.

We are not paying Sloane to get 30 disposables and 3 goals a game to win a premiership.

We are paying him to speed track our rebuild and development of our young guns
The addition of Burgess hopefully will benefit Sloane‘s footy too.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s ok if he was a mid ranged salary player, but he’d be our highest paid player but hasn’t played like that for the last 2 years and his next 2 will see him decline further. Now we have to find him other roles because he’s not capable of playing the role we are paying him for.

This is panning out exactly like some of us thought it would when we buckled and gave him this long term deal.

Remember when it was announced over the ground against Geelong in July 2018 - here we were giving a 28yo (and would 29yo at the start of the next season) a five year contract - thought at the time, wtf! It should have been a maximum 3 years.

Another glorious decision by our previous administration.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
40 is the right number

40 is a big number given we'be only seen him genuinely play ahead of the ball for a few minutes in a couple of games around the middle of the year. What makes that number look possible is also why it would be difficult. He's a goal kicking threat working hard into the forward line as the ball comes in which aligns more with the higher half forward role. Expecting him to near match Lynch's best year in a 16 win minor round season is wildly optimistic.

Jarryd Lyons 2016 season is what I'd be looking at. 20-21 touches as a forward/support mid with 1 goal per game. Reality is that Sloane will still spend the vast majority of his time in the stoppage rotation though.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Remember when it was announced over the ground against Geelong in July 2018 - here we were giving a 28yo (and would 29yo at the start of the next season) a five year contract - thought at the time, wtf! It should have been a maximum 3 years.

Another glorious decision by our previous administration.

Given the shitshow that was our footy dept, it's hard to say, but you'd not be surprised if board/admin had their hands all over that decision. We know they forced Reid to negotiate with one arm tied behind his back end of 2017 over Gibbs. And it did come out of the review that Reid should have more influence at a list management level. And we know that both our list management and football strategy committees were polluted with inept board and admin staff.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Personally, all contracts should finish by the age of 31 and then they go on one year extensions. I know most probably don’t want it that way but that is how I’d go. At the moment, players hold all the cards with regard to free agency etc.

The majority of players start hitting the wall, injury wise, once they hit 30.

Back