Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it’s against the grain of thinking, but the “weight” I’m talking about is also his injuries -eyes, fingers, feet, appendix or whatever else in the recent years. Then also the issue of his stillbirth son, and the grief that he went through.

But to paint a more positive picture, his last 4 games, he was averaging 24-25 possessions. 3 of the last 4 matches were against the top 3 teams of 2021 (Port, Dogs, Dees), and he averaged 23-24 possessions. That seems pretty good stats to me.

you’re grasping at straws

I know it’s against the grain of thinking, but the “weight” I’m talking about is also his injuries -eyes, fingers, feet, appendix or whatever else in the recent years. Then also the issue of his stillbirth son, and the grief that he went through.

But to paint a more positive picture, his last 4 games, he was averaging 24-25 possessions. 3 of the last 4 matches were against the top 3 teams of 2021 (Port, Dogs, Dees), and he averaged 23-24 possessions. That seems pretty good stats to me.

Yeah these thoughts have crossed my mind also. He's definitely way more hesitant then he was prior to 2017- 2018. Even moreso after his latest eye knock, and let's be honest, the way the bloke has had his head smashed in(along with every other injury) who could blame him?
Unfortunately, fearless lack of self preservation was his bread and butter and to my mind has always been one of the two standout traits in his game.

The Captaincy is another issue altogether though, and I don't think he wears the badge very well at all. Said it at the time of his appointment and stand by my thoughts that he just isn't the personality type. Too nice, too eager to please(everybody). Contradicts his playing persona.

Last edited:
Boak's body has always held up. Sloane is 32 in March so hopefully a move to the forward half can take some strain off his body and see a more consistent performance. Making Doedee captain should also allow Sloane to focus solely on his game. I can't see him getting close to the heights of Boak but hopefully we can see some consistent improvement.

Nup, skip Doedee and go straight for my boy Shoenberg ;) .

Yeah these thoughts have crossed my mind also. He's definitely way more hesitant then he was prior to 2017- 2018. Even moreso after his latest eye knock, and let's be honest, the way the bloke has had his head smashed in(along with every other injury) who could blame him?
Unfortunately, fearless lack of self preservation was his bread and butter and to my mind has always been one of the two standout traits in his game.

The Captaincy is another issue altogether though, and I don't think he wears the badge very well at all. Said it at the time of his appointment and stand by my thoughts that he just isn't the personality type. Too nice, too eager to please(everybody). Contradicts his playing persona.
I think he's a fine leader. Though I agree that relieving of the captaincy role may be more of benefit for Sloane and the club. I think Sloane still has 1 or 2 good years still left in him, and he'd be better if focusing more on getting his mind and body right.

I think he's a fine leader. Though I agree that relieving of the captaincy role may be more of benefit for Sloane and the club. I think Sloane still has 1 or 2 good years still left in him, and he'd be better if focusing more on getting his mind and body right.

a fine leader by what definition?

not sure his biggest fans would claim that of him

How have you decided this ? The couple of “good” years left ?
His body is suffering the combat style he has played with some unusual injuries to add to his body

Last edited:
How have you decided this ? The couple of “good” years left ?
His body is suffering the combat style he has played with some unusual injuries to add to his body
The fact he averaged 25 possessions in his last 4 games this season. 3 of those games were against the top 3 teams this season, and they were essentially at the peak of their powers, nearing the Finals. I posted the stats link a few days ago on this thread.
Also if other players improve around him next year, then he can naturally focus more on his own game.

The fact he averaged 25 possessions in his last 4 games this season. 3 of those games were against the top 3 teams this season, and they were essentially at the peak of their powers, nearing the Finals. I posted the stats link a few days ago on this thread.
Also if other players improve around him next year, then he can naturally focus more on his own game.

that doesn’t make much sense

The club before doing the deal didnt understand that midfielders who have played inside their entire career decline at around 29. Danger, Pendebury, Judd just as examples. Boak was AA in a shortened games year but not on the level as the top guys this year, and he also spent a few years forward. All the AA mids are mid 20s with the exception of Walsh. Injuries would have also been a factor. I dont doubt his work ethic but I'd argue his form had dropped more due to his age than the captancy.

Nup, skip Doedee and go straight for my boy Shoenberg ;) .

The only reason to keep Sloane captain is because I'm not sure who is ready. Doedee has had enough injuries in his short career so far, I'd worry down the track if he'd need to give up the captaincy to focus on his body.

While Doedee is still the obvious choice despite what Ive said above, I'd like to see Keays added to the leadership group which would open up the potential for him to be captain in 2023.

The club before doing the deal didnt understand that midfielders who have played inside their entire career decline at around 29. Danger, Pendebury, Judd just as examples. Boak was AA in a shortened games year but not on the level as the top guys this year, and he also spent a few years forward. All the AA mids are mid 20s with the exception of Walsh. Injuries would have also been a factor. I dont doubt his work ethic but I'd argue his form had dropped more due to his age than the captancy.

The only reason to keep Sloane captain is because I'm not sure who is ready. Doedee has had enough injuries in his short career so far, I'd worry down the track if he'd need to give up the captaincy to focus on his body.

While Doedee is still the obvious choice despite what Ive said above, I'd like to see Keays added to the leadership group which would open up the potential for him to be captain in 2023.
If you don't talk about Tex, you actually make a lot of sense! lol

I don't expect Sloane to get the AA nod, but what I'm saying is that I think Sloane can still get a season of 25-28 possessions per game, at least for next year. And we shall see how he goes by the end of 2022. Sloane having a 25+ possession game is still a very useful acquisition in a rebuilding team.

I don't expect Sloane to get the AA nod, but what I'm saying is that I think Sloane can still get a season of 25-28 possessions per game, at least for next year. And we shall see how he goes by the end of 2022. Sloane having a 25+ possession game is still a very useful acquisition in a rebuilding team.

are you lost, the fantasy boards for dream team are somewhere else

Considering a Sloane at the peak of his powers could only manage that once (and barely at that), I highly doubt a diminished Sloane is capable.

There has always been an odd consistency issue with Sloane, where outside of 2016, he'd always have about 2-3 games a year where he struggled to get involved at the level he usually played at.

Really though, whether he's capable or not, we do need to be moving on from Sloane as a midfielder. After all, it's Schoenberg, and Berry time (+ Pedlar too, but I suspect he's going to be a half forward in 2022 and mid in 2023-24).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sloane has been appointed captain again for 2022

I thought this was a new thread, even answered the poll.

I thought we may have gone in with joint captains to be honest.

It's going to be interesting to see how his preseason goes.

Back