Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure, I’ve missed it if there is.

Following on from my previous post, I also heard that only Doedee, Sloane and Laird haven't been at training.

Bad news is that Doedee is going to have an interrupted preseason. He has an issue that they can't find a solution for...It's not great news.

Not overly fussed really.

I get the impression Tom Doedee doesn’t need a title to lead. He will lead by example when he’s on the field. Another year will be good for his interpersonal development.

Rory is a good captain. He will have Tom to help him out and Tex will still be a good on field leader.

Good decision Crows!

To my eye Sloane seems like a very much liked figure around the club who drives standards. With such a young core I see why we would put captaincy on our most experienced player, especially with Tom injured and the Tex controversy it seems Sloane probably keeps it for 1 more year. Fingers crossed he has a lowered midfield time though.

If it's what the players want then how is it a bad thing? You can't say you know better than the players on who they want to lead them.
Should we let the players choose the coaches too?
They probably know more about what sort of coach they want too.
I feel it’s a popularity contest when players decide.

I like it for the next 12 months. I think Sloane does drive standards and expectations even if he isn't at his peak anymore. He is still the leader.

2023 is a different matter though. Given that Sloane appears to have already passed his peak I think Tom must be groomed during 2022 into that role. When I say groomed its not about his playing ability nor how he would lead the players but more about how he would manage the media and the additional scrutiny he will come under as the clubs leader.

Should we let the players choose the coaches too?
They probably know more about what sort of coach they want too.
I feel it’s a popularity contest when players decide.
Yeah I would prefer the coach to make that decision. The coach will set the expectations of the captain. The issue I have with the players is that they may select a captain for all the wrong reasons. Like the guy that can scull a beer the quickest, or the funniest block. You could end up with a guy who isnt the most worthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue I have is that Sloane shouldn't be an automatic lock in the team. But now that he's captain he will be
This.

In terms of the Captaincy, would have been a good time to have Doedee.

But now thus means Sloane is a lock. And if we are to improve in 2022, there are a few players who should force him out of the team if based on merit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

This is like if Denis Pagan had kept Matthew Larkin as captain of North Melbourne in 1993.

Actually it’s worse, because Matthew Larkin was only 28. Sloane will be what, 32 next year? What exactly are we clinging onto here?

Yeah yeah I know… we’re not North Melbourne of 1993.

And this is one reason.

The issue I have is that Sloane shouldn't be an automatic lock in the team. But now that he's captain he will be
THIS. Massive issue.

Sloane is not an automatic first 22 player. He's just not. Making him Captain just ensures it becomes an issue at some stage this year.

THIS. Massive issue.

Sloane is not an automatic first 22 player. He's just not. Making him Captain just ensures it becomes an issue at some stage this year.
GWS had a similar issue with Coniglio. Their solution is adding Greene and Kelly giving them 3 captains. It's a good solution as the load is shared and all three gain leadership skills. The genuine leader should standout leading to the right choice of sole captain. Makes it easier to drop Coniglio. Missed opportunity by us.

I’ve been watching games from 2021, even the losses, as I struggle to find something to watch in between New York Rangers games …

Sloane actually does a lot more on the ball than I gave him credit for. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

If he is our go to midfielder in 2022 I’d be disappointed.

Laird (27), Crouch (26), Dawson (24), Keays (24) are enough experience in there.

Schoenberg (20), Berry (19), Pedlar (19), McHenry (21) the young brigade that need exposure.

Sloane can’t be taking up a spot in there very often. Most would agree half forward if where he should fit best. Good mark, hard tackler, good set shot.

Should he be captain? Dunno. I love Sloane, he is a great leader on the field … I love Doedee too, just as inspirational imo. The idea of the captain role being so important always annoys me. It means more media, and tossing the coin. Blah.

I can't say I'm too shocked, especially if Doedee is having an interupted preseason (in which there are some rumours on here).

I doubt we're at the point that Sloane isn't a best 22 player this year, but boy he's an uninspiring pick.

I doubt we're at the point that Sloane isn't a best 22 player this year, but boy he's an uninspiring pick.

In truth - we don't need an inspiring pick for Captain this year.

We are a very young side that's rebuilding a piss poor culture. Let the lovable Sloane deal with all the additional media and responsibilities that come with being captain. Let the young players focus on their footy.

Back