Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus. You are massively over rating the quality of our list if you don't think a healthy Sloane is a best 22 player.
Sloane is cooked. You will never see peak Sloane again. As for healthy - it usually lasts about 2-3 weeks before he's buggered again.

So where does he play? Midfield? Over M Crouch, Laird and Keays? Over Schoenberg? Over McHenry?

Half forward?

Bottom line is the Captain is either playing in a position where there are better options or holding back the development of some younger guys, or playing in a position he struggles.

That isn't a great situation.

You can't have a captain that isn't guaranteed to be part of your best 22.

Utterly ridiculous decision and ironically shows a complete lack of leadership on Sloane's part not to see this and withdraw himself from contention.

Jesus. You are massively over rating the quality of our list if you don't think a healthy Sloane is a best 22 player.

When was the last time we saw a healthy Sloane?

A healthy Sloane is not a real possibility. He is always going to play with niggles.

In truth - we don't need an inspiring pick for Captain this year.

We are a very young side that's rebuilding a piss poor culture. Let the lovable Sloane deal with all the additional media and responsibilities that come with being captain. Let the young players focus on their footy.
Trouble is he doesn’t do that.
He hardly ever does media these days.
He’s been missing in the pressers for years

1 more year is fine. There isn't much use for Sloane's current football ability though. It would be tragic to see him given any more than 30% mid time. Give it to Keays in 2023.
Concerning when Crouch is back.

We need Schoenberg, Berry and Pedler to be in the middle more.

Would love to see Sloane as a permanent forward (I reckon he could do well there), but know that won't happen.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

In truth - we don't need an inspiring pick for Captain this year.

We are a very young side that's rebuilding a piss poor culture. Let the lovable Sloane deal with all the additional media and responsibilities that come with being captain. Let the young players focus on their footy.
Sloane doesn’t deal with the additional media work, he shied away from it, Tex picked up the slack and Doedee relishes it

Concerning when Crouch is back.

We need Schoenberg, Berry and Pedler to be in the middle more.

Would love to see Sloane as a permanent forward (I reckon he could do well there), but know that won't happen.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I'd back Sloane for 30--35 goals next season if played forward.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You’d think a captain would do the majority yet it seems to be Tex laird smith that does them.
I went through the numbers in 2020.

Sloane did the most press conferences for us and then we had like a dozen players who sat just below him on numbers. They like to rotate a large number of players through these things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sloane did the most press conferences for us and then we had like a dozen players who sat just below him on numbers. They like to rotate a large number of players through these things.
Laird, Smith, Doedee, Seedsman do a lot of our pressers.

I'm interested in seeing the numbers.

Do they include afc.com.au feel good stories or actual press conferences?

And a lot of those players are on long contracts.

Sloane - contracted until 33
Jenkins - contracted until 32
Gibbs - contracted until 32
Tex - contracted until 31
Lynch - contracted until 31
Jacobs - (only) contracted until 30
Betts - contracted until 34

We really will be fielding a Dad's Army in 2021.

Jesus Christ. 5 years!? That's 2 years too many imo. Still probably worth it just to stick it up the Victorians I guess.

Credit where it’s due. These were the first 2 to buck the trend, and say hey, maybe that’s a bit too looonnggg

No one expected that he wouldn’t earn a single dollar of it though.

That drop off was crazy, though given his newly found vulnerability to the tag perhaps he signed with us because the offers from interstate dried up?

Who knows… but it makes you wonder

Port supporters are inventing all types of rubbish at the moment

Apparently we're paying Rory 1 million a year for five years and also supposedly every other club in the AFL wanted to put an injury clause in his contract except Adelaide so he had no choice in the end but to stay at the Crows.

I wonder though…

In hindsight, I wonder if we blinked last minute and gave in to all his demands

not sure were i should post this. but any way a mate of mine runs a wine tour at the barossa. he is very clicky with a few crows players. anyway about 4 weeks ago the crouch brothers Cheney and seeds were down there they were all very open except matt crouch. mate said very reserved guy. brad on the the other hand very open.
cut along story short. brad will finish his carrier here at the crows thats right "BRAD"
Cheney seeds and matt all have intentions to go back to Melbourne. were not talking this year but the near future.
i believe seed will only sign a 2 year contract. announced very soon.
Matt will not sign another contract. Cheney i have no idea when his current contact ends. but from what i have heard it would be a 1 year extention on his current contract. but brad will be a one club player

Shoutout for the quality wrong here

And look at this young buck full of hope, joy and enthusiasm. Where did all that go?

Yep, absolutely stunned, from nearly certainly gone to potentially over-contracted. Still, happy for Rory to get a gold watch year if it comes to that. Gives our coaches plenty of time to come up with some ideas to work a way around a tag too.

I said year by the way, not half a ******* decade.

Back