Universal Love Captain Tex

Remove this Banner Ad

Not just the ridiculously hard cross body kick either. Took a bounce with his left hand on that run, then his right hand. He's 6'4 and 100kg. I've lost count of how many times I've watched it, and it's still just as impressive every time.

Yeah look I think unless you have played footy its just so hard to appreciate that play by the Crows. It is arguably one of the most beautiful plays I have seen by our Club on the field in a clutch moment in a final.

Lets not forget also he legally took out his opponent with the fair bump too which he needed to do because unfortunately our Tex is not elite fast.

headache1 when you watch it over and over, do you still get nervous? I still thought he had a massive clanger and kicked it in the corridor to a Dogs player. Cant believe CC appeared as if out of no where to take that mark. Fact was CC was inside defensive 50 when that passage of play began.

headache1 when you watch it over and over, do you still get nervous? I still thought he had a massive clanger and kicked it in the corridor to a Dogs player. Cant believe CC appeared as if out of no where to take that mark. Fact was CC was inside defensive 50 when that passage of play began.

Where I was at the ground, I could see Charlie streaming down the middle parallel to Tex, so as soon as he went sideways, I knew where it was going. I was definitely nervous until it hit Charlie on the chest though, and I definitely still let out a cheer when I watch it!

Where I was at the ground, I could see Charlie streaming down the middle parallel to Tex, so as soon as he went sideways, I knew where it was going. I was definitely nervous until it hit Charlie on the chest though, and I definitely still let out a cheer when I watch it!

Another huge benefit of watching it at the game. The camera zoomed in too far on TV and the cameraman/producer took focus on Jenkins (obviously thinking that was the play) and completely missed Cameron sprinting down the middle of the ground. Looked like it would've been a solid 100m sprint from Cameron?

Edit: From that youtube clip you can see him between the defensive 50m line and the back line of the centre square as Knight kicks the ball.

Last edited:
I concur - i was side on at the top of the olympic stand and had a perfect view!
Pinpoint pass, perfect execution, was the straw that broke the camel's back in regards to me completely losing my voice!!!
Best night ever!!!!!!:D

Charlie's last 3 minutes were huge. Aside from the goal he beat 2 or 3 dogs to a loose ball at the next bounce and got a left foot kick off under pressure, then also laid that tackle on the dogs player in their forward pocket which ended up with smithers clearing it to the boundary.
2 hugely important efforts.

I think Tex is the most savvy footballer in the AFL, but I think everyone is over rating that play a bit too much. Composed and perfectly executed, but he does more subtle things like that almost weekly. The scenario just gets it more attention.

Agree completely. What the last week has shown to me is that the AFL media have taken little notice of Adelaide all year and are now being exposed as having no idea about half our list.

Tex is one of the smartest a most skilful players in the league, however doing it on the big stage certainly adds value to the general opinion of Tex the player.

I'd expect him to really tear the game apart thus week as Hawks don't match up well on him.

Bring on tomorrow night!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I was nervous as hell till it went through the sticks

Only the kids 2nd year too, massive pressure he was under. It wasnt shown in the normal C7 coverage, but Betts actually went up to CC and had a chat before his kick, obviously a calming steadying influence on him.

The other thing that will frighten the hell out of you, is that you could clearly see that CC thought about the handball over the top.

All in all, it wasnt just a CC goal, there was multiple contributions from various players that enabled that goal. Betts was looming as the likely candidate to receive Tex's pass and was needed to draw players away from CC.

Agree completely. What the last week has shown to me is that the AFL media have taken little notice of Adelaide all year and are now being exposed as having no idea about half our list.

Tex is one of the smartest a most skilful players in the league, however doing it on the big stage certainly adds value to the general opinion of Tex the player.

I'd expect him to really tear the game apart thus week as Hawks don't match up well on him.

Bring on tomorrow night!

Im hoping Tex has confidence now to have shots from outside 50m. Can you imagine how demoralizing it will be for the Hawks if he takes marks from 60m and kicks a goal? How can they stop that? Even if they try and double tag him, it should free up JJ, similarly I expect CC to have a bit of freedom with the defenders worried about Betts.

This is why we are so strong this year, even if you stop Tex and Betts, we have JJ, CC and Lynch that can inflict damage.

Need to be better in the clearances and get enough I50s to give them a chance.

Still can't believe how we won last week when we were smashed in tight. Unbelievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were in trouble on the rebound if the pass was off.

That one play is folklore

Will be interested to see how Tex goes this week.

Has had plenty of press, Wayne Carey comparisons, lauded around the nation for his leadership.

There have been times this year where he has seemed to really embrace the leadership role and had a presence on the field. Other times he has seemed to retreat a bit into himself.

Has had plenty of press, Wayne Carey comparisons, lauded around the nation for his leadership.

There have been times this year where he has seemed to really embrace the leadership role and had a presence on the field. Other times he has seemed to retreat a bit into himself.
Not tomorrow

I think his leadership/presence diminishes when he's carrying a niggle. Some captains can play better slightly injured, concentrating on marshaling and directing,others rely on their physical ability to lead.

On tomorrow night. He understands his moment is here. He's stepped up every time since we started winning again in July. Like Thompson, he has a resolve that frightens me, that won us last week. The coach is confident, pretty calm, pretty thoughtful. Players can tend to mirror their coaches emotions, in the way they play.

Theres some elite standards in there.

I think Tex is the most savvy footballer in the AFL, but I think everyone is over rating that play a bit too much. Composed and perfectly executed, but he does more subtle things like that almost weekly. The scenario just gets it more attention.

The scenario is exactly what makes that play immense.

With the whole nation watching, a do or die final and the game on the line, it takes a special player to absorb all that pressure and win the game.

There is no over rating happening.

Clutch.

Tools on AFL 360 suggested the Hawks should try and rough up Tex.:rolleyes:

I honestly think we should run Tex as the decoy and drag lake and gibson along with him.

This should leave JJ isolated one on one deep hopefully on Shoenmakers.

It will then be up to JJ to seize the moment and have his time in the spotlight.

I honestly think we should run Tex as the decoy and drag lake and gibson along with him.

This should leave JJ isolated one on one deep hopefully on Shoenmakers.

It will then be up to JJ to seize the moment and have his time in the spotlight.
Isn't that what we did in the 2012 final? And Tex still kicked 4

Tools on AFL 360 suggested the Hawks should try and rough up Tex.:rolleyes:
They should. Betts too and Dangerfield.

Got to test every element of our game. Obviously they have to tread a fine line with the rules because you can't cop a suspension now but the Bulldogs weren't exactly physical. I don't imagine it will be the same story this week.

Isn't that what we did in the 2012 final? And Tex still kicked 4

Yup exactly right.

He was also coming off a massive game against fremantle.

If i was Tex i would be JJ's ear 247 pumping him up and getting him angry. Telling JJ how he's gonna tear the Hawthorn defenders apart with his bare hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back