Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Reckon might need a new captain arrangement. Here's why:

- Jones is just not captain material, god bless his shiny head. Doesn't lead the club on field. Seems very quiet and goes into a shell when we get pumped.

- Viney is defo captain material, hard at it a leads by example. Unfortunately is prone to injury. I'm of the mind your captain needs to be someone who will be available for selection in 90% or games.

If you disagree, no problem, have your say. But if you think we need to change it up, who can we turn to? I think it needs to happen this off season.

I like Gawn, but yet to be convinced of his fitness. Everyone else is a bit young or from other clubs. T mac? Jetta, a bit quiet too.

Not much to choose from.

leads by example

Seems very quiet and goes into a shell when we get pumped.

Will never understand why this is the consensus. Don't see much vocal leadership from either when we are under the pump, but neither shirks the contest at any point. We lose just as many close games when Viney is playing as when he isn't. Think the issue goes far deeper, but hopefully it will correct itself when the list develops.

Jones isn't the best captain going around for a team in our current position, but sacking him would be a utensil-up of epic proportions - similar to retiring Junior when he had two years of footy in him. You've got to build a strong club culture through loyalty and respect, Jones is the only one left who worked hard enough to survive, and he was an excellent captain in the Roos years when we were just trying to get better.

I just wonder if Jones is past it? Hasn't set the world on fire this year and does seem to be pretty quiet
Definitely heading past his peak, but 25 touches, 4 tackles and 4 clearances a game is nothing to sneeze at from your fourth choice inside mid.

Will never understand why this is the consensus. Don't see much vocal leadership from either when we are under the pump, but neither shirks the contest at any point. We lose just as many close games when Viney is playing as when he isn't. Think the issue goes far deeper, but hopefully it will correct itself when the list develops.

Jones isn't the best captain going around for a team in our current position, but sacking him would be a utensil-up of epic proportions - similar to retiring Junior when he had two years of footy in him. You've got to build a strong club culture through loyalty and respect, Jones is the only one left who worked hard enough to survive, and he was an excellent captain in the Roos years when we were just trying to get better.

Fair enough. Who after Jones retires in a couple years then?

I don't rate Viney as a captain at all, dude's barely literate.

I reckon Gawn because i like him
FWIW I have mates that went to school with JV. Not the sharpest tool, but they said he worked his ass off in class to keep up and didn't just get by on his footy talent.

I don't rate Viney as a captain at all, dude's barely literate.

I reckon Gawn because i like him

Jones was worse early on, and Viney has already demonstrated his ability to lift the side when required.

There is really no debate that Viney should be sole captain 2019 onwards PROVIDING HIS FOOT IS OK. Since his foot is probably ****ed I’d be making TMac and Gawn dual vice captains under Jack next year and they can share it if he goes down. Lever has excellent leadership qualities too but would want a couple uninterrupted seasons for us first.

Fair enough. Who after Jones retires in a couple years then?
I have no idea, to be honest. If Viney is fit then he still seems the best option, but TMac and Gawn are good leaders with about five years of elite footy left and Brayshaw and particularly Lever both seem like leaders coming from underneath. I think it'll be a case of wait and see with the 50-75 gamers, hence why having a durable Jones already in place is valuable.
There is really no debate that Viney should be sole captain 2019 onwards PROVIDING HIS FOOT IS OK.
There's definitely a debate. Unless Jones wants to step aside, I'd be shattered if we sacked him.

Fwiw i love viney, nice dude, gf is a babe and he's captain of the best sporting club in the world, who cares if he's not super articulate.

As a captain though i do think being comfortable with a mic in your gob is part of your job. Gawnie defo excels there.

Fwiw i love viney, nice dude, gf is a babe and he's captain of the best sporting club in the world, who cares if he's not super articulate.

As a captain though i do think being comfortable with a mic in your gob is part of your job. Gawnie defo excels there.

Is that true? Pics?

To be honest we can all have our opinion on who should be captain, but what we see for 2 hours on Saturday is sweet FA compared to other hours spent leading as captain.

Everyone laughed at Richie Vandenberg being appointed captain yet now everyone involved at the club now says how important he was in turning the club around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jonesy. Jonesy is who I want to be my captain. Lone captain.

Has earnt it, the players love him and he doesn't have the added pressure of carryign the side anymore.

His composure with the footy and decision making is still outstanding.

we just make the finals for the first time in 12 years and the first thing you think to do is start a thread saying we need a new captain?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

we just make the finals for the first time in 12 years and the first thing you think to do is start a thread saying we need a new captain?

Started it before before the game son.

If you're not happy, tell me who should be captain after Jonesy retires?

Started it before before the game son.

If you're not happy, tell me who should be captain after Jonesy retires?
the co captain Viney

Agree. Jones was great today but some people here have short memories, Jones has gone missing a lot this year. Very happy to see him playing finals

Exactly, dudes are acting like I'm a Jonesy hater. I'm not. I love him and was super happy to watch him have an impact today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back