Captaincy 2020 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Bont now. He leads by example on field better than anyone. Wood will always be a leader off field so there is no loss.

Wood is still easily best 22. Would probably be an even better player without the captaincy.

I have never understood BF's urgency to dump Easton. All the evidence we've ever had is that he does a great job as captain.

Seen some people reference the Mitchell/Hodge dynamic - not at all analogous this is much more Maxwell/Pendlebury - Collingwood didn't rush that, I don't see why we need to either.

I have never understood BF's urgency to dump Easton. All the evidence we've ever had is that he does a great job as captain.

Seen some people reference the Mitchell/Hodge dynamic - not at all analogous this is much more Maxwell/Pendlebury - Collingwood didn't rush that, I don't see why we need to either.
Doesn’t matter what you or I think. We are not inside. If there’s someone in the playing group that will be a better captain and inspire his teammates more than Easton, why not do it now? What’s the downside?

Doesn’t matter what you or I think. We are not inside. If there’s someone in the playing group that will be a better captain and inspire his teammates more than Easton, why not do it now? What’s the downside?
No it doesnt, your 100% correct.
There is no downside and no one is disagreeing that Bont wouldn't be a marvelous captain. I'd love to see that happen as soon as possible, but while Wood is at the club i think alot of people find it hard to see that happening for reasons previously mentioned.

I have no idea what the group dynamics are within our team, but we are blessed with a lot of guys with leadership qualities and sometimes if you elevate one guy above his peers - especially when he is young it can have a divisive effect.
Wood has the advantage of being the longest serving Bulldog and one of only 2 Bulldog premiership captains.

I would be hesitant to rush into any change if what we have now is working for the team.

I’m not very keen on the cavalier way people want to dispose of Woody, our sole living Premiership Captain. I love the Bont, but he is still fairly young in a team of relative youngsters. Woody is an experienced Captain and player. The Bont will get the job, but will be better for the additional experience and maturity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Dal Santo really should stay out of this, coming from Bont's cousin family background, openly spreading a captaincy change for Bont, just doesn't look good. Not cool Nick. What a stitch up he is!

So today i was at the Western Untied vs Melbourne Victory game and i was sitting next to non other than our games record holder Brad Johnson.
I asked him if Wood would continue the captancy and he didn't defuse the pondering question as he said its out of Wood and Bont.
Take it with a grain of salt as i think he has just as much of an idea as all of us on here.

Tim English was asked about whether 2020 captaincy was between Wood and Bontempelli on SEN radio this morning.

He said the playing group hasn't discussed it yet, but that he (obviously) sees Wood as his captain at the moment.
I don't get why the players are having a say in who is captain. It reminds me of under 14's cricket.

Wood is current captain, Bont is next captain. Bevo, wood and Bont should be the people who decide when that transition is best.

Would you rather the captain be in the hands of the fans like when Mitchell gave up Captaincy to Hodge because the supporters wanted it. Though when Hodge took over it was the right call.

I’m not very keen on the cavalier way people want to dispose of Woody, our sole living Premiership Captain. I love the Bont, but he is still fairly young in a team of relative youngsters. Woody is an experienced Captain and player. The Bont will get the job, but will be better for the additional experience and maturity.
I agree no need to give it before wood goes which won't be that far away wood was better last year than the two years previous i think hes played through a lot of injury his leap seems to come and go

I don't get why the players are having a say in who is captain. It reminds me of under 14's cricket.

Wood is current captain, Bont is next captain. Bevo, wood and Bont should be the people who decide when that transition is best.
I’ve always understood that the captain and leadership group have been voted in by the players. Murphy and Wood unanimously elected. Not sure how candidates are nominated for the LG - maybe by Bev?

I’ve always understood that the captain and leadership group have been voted in by the players. Murphy and Wood unanimously elected. Not sure how candidates are nominated for the LG - maybe by Bev?
Its the players choice
I remember bevo was pretty surprised that big red make the cut a few years back but said he must of made an impression on the playing group to be selected as a leader.

Wouldn’t be many clubs that don’t have players involved in the process.
Best way to elect someone to lead them.

So today i was at the Western Untied vs Melbourne Victory game and i was sitting next to non other than our games record holder Brad Johnson.
I asked him if Wood would continue the captancy and he didn't defuse the pondering question as he said its out of Wood and Bont.
Take it with a grain of salt as i think he has just as much of an idea as all of us on here.

Was at the game myself, although didn’t see Johno.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back