Captaincy Discussion Thread

Preferred Captain in 2020

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hes just taking after his coach
They are genuinely incompatible as a captain/coach duo. I think we all know that Goodwin will make Viney sole captain next year and things will only change at the bitter end.

A few questions to get a concise understanding of how this board feels given all the chat about Jones, Viney, Gawn etc.

1. Does captaincy matter?
2. To what extent?
3. Do we have the right captain/s?
4. Who would be your captain/s in 2020?
1. Yes it does. A football team needs a player to galvanise the team. He needs to set an example by his actions and inspire his colleagues.
2. From the perspective of motivation, inspiration, setting standards on and off the field, driving for team success at all costs.
3. No
4. Gawn or Jetta.

tMac is an extremely thoughtful and articulate speaker but not sure he has the grunt for captain.
Both May and Lever are possibles but yet to be proven to be reliable enough. Good vice captain material at the moment.
Viney is Melbourne through and through and hard as nails but if I had to listen to him inspiring me through verbal communication I do believe cringe would be my response.
Jones is kind of done and as a warrior deserves respect but never really was an onfield general.
Brayshaw was a possibility prior to losing interest in football. Harmes is good mate material but not someone to inspire the troops. Nev should be brilliant but for some probably non logical reason I just don’t see him as captain. The others are a no and we are left with ... Max. He seems to care, he leads by example and the press conferences would at least be one highlight a week for supporters.

I don't know if I would want Gawn as the captain unless he really really wanted it. This is because I would be afraid of a drop off in his form.

I would pick someone like Jetta he seems a totally no nonsense type of person and hard working. No idea how switched on he is though.

Need Viney to get back to a gun mid. Maybe even a tagger/inside mid role. I think he can tag AND get the ball when he sees a chance instead of being 100 percent negative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As reported by some flog: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-25/barrett-margin-call-round-23

Jones has been offered a contract for 2020, but it is a dramatically reduced offer.

The captaincy will be removed from his status next year, should he accept the fresh terms.

Ruckman Max Gawn, clearly the Demons' best player this year, is likely to be given official leadership responsibilities alongside Jack Viney.

As reported by some flog: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-25/barrett-margin-call-round-23

Jones has been offered a contract for 2020, but it is a dramatically reduced offer.

The captaincy will be removed from his status next year, should he accept the fresh terms.

Ruckman Max Gawn, clearly the Demons' best player this year, is likely to be given official leadership responsibilities alongside Jack Viney.

Smh, if you're going to lowball Jones at least wait a couple of months before declaring he won't be captain anymore. Perty and Marns...negotiating masterminds..... doorstopfordanish.gif

Back