Captaincy / Leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely Zorko can’t be captain again next year after his antics over the last few years. His carry on during games (especially games where it is tight or we are getting belted) is an embarrassment to our football club. He also just doesn't seem to have the presence/leadership qualities to seemingly take us to the next level (ie. you see that leadership oozing out of the likes of Hodge, Pendlebury, Selwood, etc)

It’s almost iconic that when we were flying against the Dees in the game last year in June that Zorko gave away an undisciplined free kick that turned the tide and we lost that game. It feels like that was a turning point where we have never looked the same. We have never played that well since.

It’s not a recent thing with Zorko. As one poster on the main board said when Zorko was stoushing with Touk Miller it was unclear who was the instigator.

But it’s abundantly clear now it was Zorko. Miller on the other hand has gone on in leaps and bounds to be one of the best mids in the game.

Who is in the leadership group currently? And how come they are not standing up in key games and leading by example. Ever since Hodge left we have been bereft of onfield leadership. Will we have the chance to have a new captain next year?

Last edited:
Neale would be my top candidate.
Even though Harro has had a down time, that may be irrelevant to whether he can captain or not.
Berry is my boy, but he has been injured too much and his role on the wing isn't really conducive to leading.
Starce could be an inspired left of field choice, but unlikely.

A few years ago it felt like we had so many leaders. Hasn't really happened that way.

Neale should be captain next year. I still have faith in Harris long term and hope that this preseason gives him a chance to refresh and reset for next year.

Yeah agreed, has to be Neale. for a while there it looked like we had a good group of young leaders (Berry, McCluggage, Andrews) ready to form a strong leadership group taking the baton over from Hodgey (Andrews especially) but we look so bereft of leaders now.

Andrews is a shadow of himself. I wonder if Jeremy Cameron’s knock on Andrews is catching up with him. Breaks my heart seeing Andrews like this when he had so much promise. And the thug Jeremy Cameron is going from strength to strength. Makes me sick.

Zorko out as leader and give the job to Jarrod Berry. I don’t think Neale or Andrews are captaincy material tbh

just said in another thread thought about who gives all each week
Can lead by example, positivity get the players

Berry maybe
I missed Starc said maybe Bailey in years to come
Neale and Hugh not sure wants it
Rich past it

Honestly comes down to one player
Captain Oscar it is.

Don’t mind Big O - left field. Needs other attributes like communication, peace maker, public speaking - not just onfield. You are the guy players go to when they need advice etc, not saying it can’t be him, but needs to be the total package. I believe Zorkos Monday-Friday stuff is first rate which keeps on in the job, just can’t put up with another minute of him being an in Felix skipper once this season is done.

Berry is another I could see being a young skip, but his footy isn’t good enough yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this will be laughed at, but I reckon the one guy who could be captain is Ryan Lester - self less, team first, honest, respected and should be the general down back.

I don't think or understand why the best player has to be the captain.

I know this will be laughed at, but I reckon the one guy who could be captain is Ryan Lester - self less, team first, honest, respected and should be the general down back.

The best player doesn't have to be captain, but generally it's best for the captain to at least be best 22.

The best player doesn't have to be captain, but generally it's best for the captain to at least be best 22.
In my book, he should be best 22 - have been saying all season he should be in our defensive 6 - but Fagan has his favourites irrespective of how bad they are playing and our defence has been very average all year. Ryan brings calmness and is a general down there. Move Harris forrward or omit Gardiner.

In my book, he should be best 22 - have been saying all season he should be in our defensive 6 - but Fagan has his favourites irrespective of how bad they are playing and our defence has been very average all year. Ryan brings calmness and is a general down there. Move Harris forrward or omit Gardiner.

I think looking back it would have been worth trying anything, but I’m not sure if Froggy is the answer. His abilities have been greatly overstated since he left our best 22.

If he could nail down a best 22 spot he’d be an awesome captain though.

Should be an interesting spectacle watching Lester captaining from row A seat 6 next year.

Zac Bailey, next Captain for mine. Just like the cut of the kid.

Zac Bailey, next Captain for mine. Just like the cut of the kid.
Way too young imo. He is still developing, we don't want to burden him too much. Has to be Neale as l can't think of anyone else. Andrews is not suitable due to his outbursts (I actually don't mind him letting players know when they did something wrong, as not enough of our players do that, but there is a better way to go about it). Berry is a little too injury prone atm.

Does it have to be a player? Could it be grant Birchall

If anything 2022 season has shown us we don't have enough players in the leadership group. I think we need another eight.
We will be unbeatable with all these leaders leading us to a premiership.

_DSC4057-2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back