Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Thread is meant as no disrespect to Geary because he's been magnificent since taking the reigns. Do we still see him as a stop-gap captain for another year or 2 while the young leaders develop their games? Or is he a long-term captain now for the majority of his remaining playing career?

Who is his replacement? Before the season, you would almost immediately say Mav Weller, but his form doesn't warrant it nor does his sometimes selfish decision making on the field. Pretty much no one would have said Seb Ross at the start of the season but he's quickly become our best player, but does he have the leadership skills? Luke Dunstan has always had tremendous leadership qualities, and his form of late is starting to head in the direction we all had hoped at the start of his career. Jill Newnes is Mr. Consistent and we all know what he's like on and off the field. Very likely candidate. Jack Billings is a bonafide gun but still can't construct a proper sentence if his life depended on it lol. Acres? Lol, too busy in fairy land.

We've added a few very good players and leaders in the off-season though. Steele has on field captain qualities written all over him and Koby isn't far behind. As with Carlisle, his actions do the talking on field however we all know what his off-field behaviour is like.

Or is it someone who isn't at the club yet??? (Hint hint jelly)

Next captain could be anyones guess. What do you guys think?

I think we give it another year and assess the situation then. There's no one that stands out long-term just yet and I don't want to prematurely give someone the captaincy.

Hopefully someone really stands up next year and it's a no brainer.

Geary has been great this year but I would think two more years after this. I could see him being fringe Best-22 at the start of Season 2020 which would be pretty awkward. Would love to see Dunstan step up as a player in the next two years and take the reins then, Newnes as VC.

Also, feels weird saying 2020. Are we supposed to be fighting a war with cyborgs created by a malevolent self-aware AI entity by then?

Newnes or Dunstan would probably be the most likely out of our young guys to become the next captain but Geary hasn't done much wrong as captain so far.

How long Geary remains captain probably depends on how long he remains a lock in our best 22, at 29 that might only be for another couple of years.

I think we give it another year and assess the situation then. There's no one that stands out long-term just yet and I don't want to prematurely give someone the captaincy.

Hopefully someone really stands up next year and it's a no brainer.

Agree, I can't actually see any of those guys being a viable captain for various reasons. I think they're mainly too young, maybe Newnes is just old enough at 25 next year? Still doesn't seem quite good enough for mine, but maybe. The rest his age or older don't seem like captaincy types. Maybe Steven could sneak in but his form drop-off this year isn't encouraging.

No obvious choice to replace him has emerged this season and I think he has had a solid year taking on the mantle from one of our greatest ever players and leaders.

His performances have been better since taking it on, no need to make any changes.

Geary certainly another couple of years while he's in form and the young list develops.

Good chance of future co-captains without anyone obvious. All of our leaders are in the mix, hopefully also with Kelly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dunstan keeps it up with this kind of form, he will end up as the captain after Geary.

Love what Gears is doing right now, he has been amazing for us ever since he took on the role.

Newnesy, Ross are definitely strong candidates. Paddy as well if he starts finding some form, he's the guy that everyone wants to get around.

hugh goddard is he ever gets to above average at his position. speaks so damn well do his age/status in the game.

steele is a hard no, off field no

Remove this Banner Ad

Back