Who is our next captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
As we have no game coming up I thought we could discuss the Captaincy role.
Cotchin is a star and will go down as a club great and most likely an AFL Hall of Famer.
He just turned 28 and most likely could still play for another 5 years but I cant see him being captain for the rest of his career.
We have a lot of young players that are starting to show leadership trates.
  • Vlaustin is the obvious next in line at age 24. He would be primed to take over when he is 27-28
  • Jack....Jack Graham that is has exploded onto the scene and was captain of SA U18s.
  • Daniel Rioli would be more likely a VC than C but seems to be loved by the other players and club
  • Callum Coleman-Jones is another that was SA U18 Captain so clearly has leadership qualities
  • Smokey would be Dylan Grimes for a year or two. Love the way he goes about it and the way he talks.

I think once we've won the 5 Premierships (in a row, that is), then Cotch might give it up to Vlas.

Right now it has to be Vlastuin. In three years we may have a few candidates - Graham has already been mentioned, but what about Short, Lambert and Astbury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see it going past Tigger, hard as a cats head, young enough and good position.

Better question, how long till we think Cotch hands it over?
I suspect Cotch and Rancey are already putting retirement plans in place. Maybe hand over for 2020 and retire the following year subject to body condition?

Riewoldt on the other hand will play on for another seven years so no need to look at Lynch.

Back