Analysis Captaincy

Who is our next captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

On field Vlas seems an obvious choice. But there’s a lot more involved these days off field to be given the captaincy.

A lot of media, player management, mentoring, media spotlight for captaining the biggest club etc...

Reckon a smokey could be Lambert.
The footy media would just love it if Lambo got himself the Richmond captaincy. The continuation of why didn’t Carlton give him a chance in the media would be awesome too. :D

If Cotch goes 3 more years than we have a quite different situation. Dan Rioli is mature and maybe CCJ is also. Vlas is the obvious choice as successor right now. But I see no reason Cotch wills top except for injuries. Then make JR and Rancey Pants co-captains.

in 3/4 years it'll be a different thing. That's why I voted Dan.

Even though it's pretty hard to imagine any other player as captain, I reckon Cotch might pass on the captaincy sooner rather than later. His always talking about his role in making other players better. I reckon he'd enjoy a few years playing the supporting role that Newman played for him.

Couldn't be anyone other than Flossy, could it? Rioli has #17 and they say possession is nine tenths of the law...

2020 will see Vlastuin captain with leadership group of Rioli Graham Lambert and Grimes
I like the 3-party leadership group we have at the moment.

Vlaustin captain, Rioli and Lambert/Graham as co-vice captain.

You have a defender, midfielder and forward again which I think works for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the 3-party leadership group we have at the moment.

Vlaustin captain, Rioli and Lambert/Graham as co-vice captain.

You have a defender, midfielder and forward again which I think works for us.

I think it also worked because of who Cotch Rance Jack are and where they were/are at in their careers - Vlastuin would be turning 26 in 2020 (compared to Cotch who was turning 23) so introducing your potential next captains in Rioli or Graham might make sense.

Grimes would definitely be in the conversation

Has been doing a lot of press interviews for the club and whenever he does he speaks extremely well
Probably not the captaincy but wouldn’t be shocked it he takes over from Rance when he decides to either retire or pass on a formal leadership role

I think Lambert is very well regarded at the club and is a very reliable player. He does things the right way. He also plays the more 'inspiring' position than Vlastuin (think of his running).

Vlastuin is the classic 'Solid citizen, reliable HBF, example to the young players etc'. Perfect choice.

Those two stand out to me. But, it's 2-3 years away at least, and things may change.

Flossy is the obvious option now, but it depends when Cotch decides to hand it over, and what state we're in about then.

The longer he waits, the less likely Vlastuin becomes...not much point taking over if he only has a few years left himself after all.

Also depends where the club is...if we're still looking premierships (and lets hope we are), you go for the more established player, if we're rebuilding (even somewhat) then you might go with a younger option.

Anyone of our future draft picks could be a superstar, we're better off waiting to see what happens. In saying that vlas or jack graham are the current heirs to cotch.

With the way the club is operating at the moment, I'm confident whoever is bestowed the honour and privilege of being the Captain of the Richmond Football Club will be a very worthy recipient.

Back