Discussion Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Riewoldt announced earlier that he would step down as Captain of the club (probably as an inducement to help keep Goddard at the club).

The boys will have a vote and he may well get the gig again in 2013

It's got me thinking though. Remember the Grant Thomas move to rotate the captaincy through some of the younger players to fast track their leadership development. Well it looks as if we are going through a bit of a rebuild now so is there a chance that some youngster might get the gig?

Riewoldt and Lenny have had a go. Nicky Dal is the obvious choice among the longest served players but Sean Dempster is an immaculate role model.

Of the younger players the obvious choice would be McEvoy - shows heaps of leadership already and you can hear him at training pushing his team mates to get the most out of themselves.

Who else?

I'm happy for Riewoldt to be elected again.

If Hayes wants it, sure. I wouldn't want to burden him, though.

Dal has a decent claim now.

Armitage and McEvoy absolutely need to be placed in leadership positions. Perhaps a junior captain role would suffice?

Not sure there is a stand out now, maybe should probably stay with Roo for another season so they make the right choice...

Get the feeling Scott rates Ben highly, but think it would be unfair at this point given his form isn't consistent enough as yet though his work ethic is top notch?

My smokey though would be Armitage, very vocal on field, gives a stuff about the club, may just be the thing to elevate him even more with the added responsibility. He presents well, isn't the worst media performer.

All the other candidates are probably too old now, though worthy.

Big Fish is a candidate, already the backline general. Longterm it's Big Ben by a long way, although who knows who may step up when the old hands start retiring. Could be Armo, Siposs, I'd even have Newnes as a chance.

Ben is definitely our next long term captain. Anyone in between him and Riewoldt will only be serving to fill in the gaps, I would think.

Dal Santo is my choice for the captaincy. A long term St Kilda star, excellent communicator, level headed and well regarded by all.

Dempster would be the other choice, or follow on from Dals captaincy.

Riewoldt has earnt it next year, it also gives McEvoy or whoever another years experience as I firmly believe he is still too young. IF Roo doesnt want it next year then the Big Fish is probably only player to do it. Lenny wont want it as he'll want to concentrate on his footy again, having to come back from heart surgery isnt going to be easy.

I want roo to have the captaincy until he retires. If by some chance we managed to snag a flag whilst he was still playing it would be wrong for anyone but him to lift up the cup.

From the outside it doesn't look like we have any obvious young captains e.g J.Selwood/Cotchin

So I reckon we may as well have a rotating captaincy again, and after maybe 1 or 2 seasons pick out the best leader from that young group

Similar to what we did prior to 08

Not sure how I feel about the same guy keeping it.

There is a bit of truth to the fact that the captaincy helped Roo become the player he is.

Wouldn't take much to convince me that such and such will get it to see them blossom with the responsibility.

I remember Rooey saying in an interview that if the club were to go forward he shouldn't be captain next year or something like that. Might be true, but didn't like him saying it then because it feels like pressure is put on someone else to stand up when there is no-one else ready yet.

This article I think has his quote: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/144977/default.aspx

ST KILDA captain Nick Riewoldt has revealed he believes it is in the Saints' best interest that he not captain the club in 2013.

Speaking on Melbourne radio on Saturday morning, Riewoldt, who is currently out injured, anointed Brendon Goddard as the ideal man to replace him in the job.

"Ideally for the club, I'm not captain next year," Riewoldt told SEN.

Riewoldt said he had no issue with handing the captaincy over in 2013, placing Goddard in front of experienced teammates Nick Dal Santo, Sam Fisher and Leigh Montagna.

"I think BJ's [Goddard] probably the front runner, but you look at the age and the demographic, BJ's 27.

"So it depends which way the club wants to go and I think they'll sit down at some stage and have a really good talk about it and I'm sure I'll be part of some of those discussions."

Goddard falls out-of-contract at the end of 2012, but Riewoldt said he hoped the star midfielder would soon commit to the club, paving the way for him to become captain.

"For me BJ's the obvious one, and clearly he's got some stuff going on with the club at the moment that hopefully gets resolved soon and that'll paint a bit of a clearer picture."

Doesn't seem to put us in a great position in regards to another captain. This is where the gulf between the old and the new seems to really hurt. Older guys possibly too old to consider and wouldn't be much better than Riewoldt, but younger guys not at that elite level to demand the captaincy IMO, so Riewoldt probably keeps it, unless we want to do a shared captaincy thing (Riewoldt/Hayes/McEvoy or something like that) but don't know if that would work...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember hearing that interview and Robbo & co pretty much pushed him to say BJ is next in line to be captain. At no time did it sound like Roo 100% agreed it was in best interest and wouldnt put it past them to have been saying it to put pressure on Goddard to re-sign

Milne as captain would be funny to see. On a serious note, Riewoldt retains captaincy for me. He has deserved the leadership role and he plays well with it. I don't want a young player such as Armitage or McEvoy to be overwhelmed with such a role. Perhaps a co-captaincy would suit a young player better. They would face the media, but only once a fortnight or once a month. Riewoldt should be skipper until he retires, he is brilliant as captain.

I remember hearing that interview and Robbo & co pretty much pushed him to say BJ is next in line to be captain. At no time did it sound like Roo 100% agreed it was in best interest and wouldnt put it past them to have been saying it to put pressure on Goddard to re-sign
This, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Roo was still captain next year

Dal Santo would be a good choice other the fact he's more a laid back type, rather crack a few jokes and just focus on the footy methinks. Riewoldt to me has never really looked comfortable in the role as leader, was just thrust upon him. Lenny the obvious choice i'd say, followed by Montagna or Mcevoy.

Also Fisher reminds me of Riewoldt a bit, doesn't appear a natural speaker/leader. How would Dempster go? He leads by example 100% but not sure about his personality.

Dal Santo would be a good choice other the fact he's more a laid back type, rather crack a few jokes and just focus on the footy methinks. Riewoldt to me has never really looked comfortable in the role as leader, was just thrust upon him. Lenny the obvious choice i'd say, followed by Montagna or Mcevoy.

Also Fisher reminds me of Riewoldt a bit, doesn't appear a natural speaker/leader. How would Dempster go? He leads by example 100% but not sure about his personality.

I don't know where your getting this from. Roo is one of the best captains we have ever had. How many times has he chucked the team on his shoulders and said follow me lads.

I don't know where your getting this from. Roo is one of the best captains we have ever had. How many times has he chucked the team on his shoulders and said follow me lads.

Agreed. He is a fantastic skipper and should continue in that role. Leads by example and you can see when he addresses the players how much they listen to and respect him. Fantastic in front of the media too.

Ever since I went to an open training session in 2010 I've been saying that Big Ben would be our next captain. Anyone who can get to training should go and see this guy up close. Even better, go and HEAR this guy screaming encouragement , positioning the on ballers, backing guys up... Natural leader and should be co-captain with Roo if not outright.

There's pretty much no doubting it will be Macca eventually, the question is when do we give it to him?

I wouldn't rule out Siposs down the line eventually. Very confident player, vocal and even though he hasn't done too much media has been good when he does.

I'd love to see Riewoldt keep it. One of the best, if not THE best captain in the AFL over his tenure. Why force change when you don't have to? As long as he's happy to keep it and the players are happy to let him keep, let him have the job again. He does it brilliantly.

Of course, if Roo doesn't want it i'd love to see it go to Dal before eventually passing it on to Big Ben, although he's still a couple of years off.

Keep it going with the Roo, don't fix what isn't broken and wait until there is a clear cut standout captain. Don't go back to Grant Thomas and his "captaincy doesn't matter" crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back