Discussion Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

What happens if the new younger leaders don't work out just yet? Our list is young and impressionable so now more than ever we need seniors to groom them. Last thing we need is to appoint a capt that doesn't work out.

Funny how people were ranting about keeping Dal etc because we need seniors to teach the kids... but that appears to go out the window when it comes to appointing the best candidate for the Capt's job.

If we're going with a more senior leadership group, I hope we have some sort young leadership group as well. We have so much leadership potential in that 1st-4th season bracket, and they're the players that will be leading us to our next push at the flag. Better to start them early!

Get Dunstan in there ala Joel Selwood or Bryce Gibbs you rekon?

Gears is the only one of the age bracket I could see in a captaincy role. Steven doesn't strike me as a leader yet and Armo probably needs to get the lifestyle choices a little bit under control if some reports are to be believed. Geary has a bit of the Nathan Burke lead by example thing going. You know he's not the biggest guy but he walks taller than guys double his size. He's as tough as nails when you want someone to go in hard at the ball.

Last year, we had something ridiculous like almost half the squad in a leadership group of some sort. I wonder if we'll stick with that.
I highly suspect not. I think one of the things the older group didn't like, was that everything was a bit too fluffy and easy for the younger group (just sense that from some of the quotes from players, coaches, etc). They're going to have to earn their leadership stripes, I suspect.

Leadership group just announced:

1904145_10152052858583183_663382298_n.jpg

Probably the only surprise is maybe Armo?

Lets play the "who is pushing their biceps out during the arms crossing photo" game.

And the winners are... Armo and Monty!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solid choice, predictable choice....

Will be a very good captain.

I'm underwhelmed though, not convinced it builds for the future that we keep talking about.

Why are we afraid of change?

I'm underwhelmed though, not convinced it builds for the future that we keep talking about.

I understand your concern, MS, and can see your point. I know you've been worried for a while that it's "job for the boys" down there. But I do think that both Armo and Geary do represent the next era of LEADERS. As I've often said, we've got three age-tiers: veterans, middle-aged, and youth. I was rather concerned by how easily youth got major responsibilities within leadership last year - it made it all too easy. But the middle-aged players (Gears, Armo) represent the veterans of tomorrow, so we ARE actually building for the future. I think chucking Newnes or Curren in there could actually HURT the building of our future... just as Melbourne, who made young-uns leaders before they were ready, or deserved it.

I agree with this. I thought Joey and Roo would have been better off if Joey was the new captain.
But I also get why they would want Roo as captain again too.

I understand your concern, MS, and can see your point. I know you've been worried for a while that it's "job for the boys" down there. But I do think that both Armo and Geary do represent the next era of LEADERS. As I've often said, we've got three age-tiers: veterans, middle-aged, and youth. I was rather concerned by how easily youth got major responsibilities within leadership last year - it made it all too easy. But the middle-aged players (Gears, Armo) represent the veterans of tomorrow, so we ARE actually building for the future. I think chucking Newnes or Curren in there could actually HURT the building of our future... just as Melbourne, who made young-uns leaders before they were ready, or deserved it.

I do worry about that still...

We shall see I guess.

I agree with this, but I also wonder if there is a bit of Pelchen operating in the background. It would be hard to trade Armo or Geary if they were the Captain.

My view is that within the next couple of years the candidates for captaincy will reveal themselves.

At the risk of overthinking this (as if we do THAT here!), what about next year? You can't take, say, a Jack Newnes, for all the talk of him being leadership material, and make him captain next year. The captain will HAVE to come out of the existing leadership group next year, surely. Now, MAYBE we're just going to keep Roo captain until he retires. But if not, then it's either another vet (probably Joey...), or the next gen Gears or Armo. So, we are AT LEAST two years now from Newnes or any other kid becoming captain. By then, Roo will probably be gone completely, and his wealth of experience in the captaincy will have gone with him.

Well your captain must be on big buck$. He's coming this week with his wife for the 2nd time to check out my cousins house in Brighton, on the market for $4 million.

At the risk of overthinking this (as if we do THAT here!), what about next year? You can't take, say, a Jack Newnes, for all the talk of him being leadership material, and make him captain next year. The captain will HAVE to come out of the existing leadership group next year, surely. Now, MAYBE we're just going to keep Roo captain until he retires. But if not, then it's either another vet (probably Joey...), or the next gen Gears or Armo. So, we are AT LEAST two years now from Newnes or any other kid becoming captain. By then, Roo will probably be gone completely, and his wealth of experience in the captaincy will have gone with him.

Not sure Newnes has absolutely cemented his top 22 spot yet,

This year will tell a story,

Geary looks a better option, ATM,

IMO

Well your captain must be on big buck$. He's coming this week with his wife for the 2nd time to check out my cousins house in Brighton, on the market for $4 million.

Not just him mate, look up his wife Catherine, her family has a bit of cash. But yeah Roo was on a mil a year for a few years, he earnt it too IMO.

More to the point, how'd your cousin get a 4 mil house in Brighton?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back