Captains 2017: It's Kennedy! Vice captains Hanners, Parker, Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't agree more with your first response. Certainly worth whatever he can get.
Very few "named" player's contracts are falling due next year - Heeney, McVeigh, Jones and Reid. We can probably assume McVeigh may retire or at worst take a significant cut as should Reid. This will help with Heeney's extra $s.
2018 sees many of the young kids we saw come through this year and those we have high hopes for 2017 (Alir, Foote, Hewitt, Marsh, Mills, Naismith, Newman, Papley etc) will all expect reasonable increases on their minimum current contracts. The fact that Tippett does come up for renewal at this time would make you think he would have to accept a massive reduction. When we originally brought Tippett into the club it was as the man mountain forward who was going to kick 80+ goals a year. We have not seen the player that he was at Adelaide and although he is a serviceable ruckman - you don't pay ruckmen $800K a year (unless you are Dean Cox).
One of the problems with our list atm is that it is a very young one and other than McVeigh and Grundy there are no obvious retirements in the next couple of years.
Yeah sure, complete agree.

I think Reid, Tippo & Talia could be on the chopping block completely. Not just a reduction in contract.

If Dawson comes on then Sinkers (assuming he doesn't come along) could also be in trouble in a few years.

Don't forget we've lost Teddy, Benny & Titch's contracts without replacing them with a big (expensive) name.

Xav's contract too (although minimal, still an unexpected saving).

I thought Jack might retain his role as one of the captains, but feel that this change is for the best as it will allow him and Macca to focus on their own games. Happy with the appointments.
McHack will struggle to get a game if he brings the same form into '17

The thing that I find really sums up this club is the selflessness of guys like Kizza & Macca... It's about what's best for the team. It has been for a decade now...

Goodes handing over the captaincy.
Roos handing over the coaching.
Moorey & Shaws work in the NEAFL before they retired.
Ditto for LRT.
Even ROK, who clearly didn't want to be playing 2nds, accepted his role and made the most of it for the good of the team.

We have a team first attitude. Macca & Kizza have both added to that legacy of good strong leadership by calling time on their roles for the good of the club.

I was at the Guernsey presentation at the start of the season and you could feel and see the commitment and passion both Kizza & Macca have for their roles as captains. But more-so, their love of the club, their teammates and the legacy we as a club not only leave behind but create and build. This outweighs any personal ambition.

I recall hearing Kizza say it's about leaving the club better than when you got there. Spot on Kiz. Exactly what you've done IMO. Great work mate.
Sorry, not singling you out here but I'm constantly reading about this so called selflessness re McHack. I'm sorry but his selfishness possibly cost us this GF. He wasn't fit, wasn't playing anywhere near good enough to cement a spot but selected himself over fitter players. He is the most selfish person on the list!

Sorry, not singling you out here but I'm constantly reading about this so called selflessness re McHack. I'm sorry but his selfishness possibly cost us this GF. He wasn't fit, wasn't playing anywhere near good enough to cement a spot but selected himself over fitter players. He is the most selfish person on the list!

Coaches should of been brave enough not to pick him then,

I think Reid, Tippo & Talia could be on the chopping block completely. Not just a reduction in contract.

If Dawson comes on then Sinkers (assuming he doesn't come along) could also be in trouble in a few years.

Don't forget we've lost Teddy, Benny & Titch's contracts without replacing them with a big (expensive) name.

If sinkers doesnt come along.... pretty safe assumption

I truely think he thought he was right. I don't think he went into the game thinking he'd be a liability & just hoping he'd get through. I'm sure he played it out in his mind that he was right, he'd contribute & push through the injury. The coaches may have talked him into it too re: losing his experience on the day.

But but agree, he got the least votes re:B&F for the GF. That says all you need to say. His replacement as Captain being at the other end of the count speaks volumes as to their input into such a huge occassion & impact on their place in the pecking order henceforth.

None-the-less, blinded by a GF appearance or not, handing over the captaincy is the right thing to do & a good move by both Macca & Kiz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Jack might retain his role as one of the captains, but feel that this change is for the best as it will allow him and Macca to focus on their own games. Happy with the appointments.

Perhaps a sacrifice to reward Hanners & Parker for signing on with us despite getting big offers to go back home to Vic.
Rampe rewarded for taking his game to the next level.

It just feels right doesn't it?

Perhaps a sacrifice to reward Hanners & Parker for signing on with us despite getting big offers to go back home to Vic.
Rampe rewarded for taking his game to the next level.

It just feels right doesn't it?

So right. Could not be happier with that 4.

We also need to keep in mind is that Buddy's contract was back ended from what i have read. So we will need to find more in the last few years of that even though he will be well past his best.

I wasn't aware that McVeigh was chairman of selectors.

Hmm. If the yard of pace he lost last year is not regained in this pre season, then I think that you may well be right. If one of the new lads trains well and is hard at the footy and clean in their disposal, then horse will be tempted to try him. Macca may well have a reprieve in that he might be one of the best half backs that we can field, if Mills or Jones become a mid fielder or rotate through. All will depend on him being able to deliver. If he can't chase and stick tackles ....and his old man calves break down, then his on field leadership and quality foot delivery will not save him from being replaced by Newman or Leonardis. If he misses out on the Captaincy, then his ending will have begun and he will be on notice.

I think Newman is ready to go in the HB role now employing Macca. So I don't doubt Macca might miss matches. Several things were obvious if you like to look at the matches he played last year;

1. His foot skills were way down, generally putting the ball to teammates feet or over their heads as he chipped the ball rather than kicking it.

2. His pace was down on 2015. He got caught a lot and found out in the defensive half by quicker forwards. Scored on a lot especially against GWS.

3. his strength was laughable. He was pushed off the ball and his opponent then had a free run at it and he was even beaten by skinny developing ruckmen. Whitfield pushed him off the ball for crying out loud. that is pathetic.

4. He took far too long to make decisions. While this has always been his way and he was clever and elusive enough to get out of trouble, last season his awareness was crap and he was caught or dispossessed too easily.

5. While he kicked some really good goals the side of his game that was so very dangerous, being one out in the goal square was not good as his strength seems to have evaporated.

In all his time is limited and while he may get a few games, like ROK he will struggle in an environment in which the younger players are all stronger than him. I know how he feels almost everybody is stronger than me.

I think Newman is ready to go in the HB role now employing Macca. So I don't doubt Macca might miss matches. Several things were obvious if you like to look at the matches he played last year;

1. His foot skills were way down, generally putting the ball to teammates feet or over their heads as he chipped the ball rather than kicking it.

2. His pace was down on 2015. He got caught a lot and found out in the defensive half by quicker forwards. Scored on a lot especially against GWS.

3. his strength was laughable. He was pushed off the ball and his opponent then had a free run at it and he was even beaten by skinny developing ruckmen. Whitfield pushed him off the ball for crying out loud. that is pathetic.

4. He took far too long to make decisions. While this has always been his way and he was clever and elusive enough to get out of trouble, last season his awareness was crap and he was caught or dispossessed too easily.

5. While he kicked some really good goals the side of his game that was so very dangerous, being one out in the goal square was not good as his strength seems to have evaporated.

In all his time is limited and while he may get a few games, like ROK he will struggle in an environment in which the younger players are all stronger than him. I know how he feels almost everybody is stronger than me.

Agree on all points. Now that he has given up the Captaincy he can concentrate on his own game rather than reminding others of team structures and directing players to better positions. I think that he will struggle to earn a spot unless he is able to do a full pre season and be the best that his body allows him to be. Even then, it may not be enough. Newman is no longer a rookie and he is Macca's competition, along with Marsh. Good competition for spots in the best 22 - but it's a case of," The King is dead,long live the King."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back