Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Here's one that no one has mentioned and he won the players award, Lance Franklin ?

Is he respected & trusted enough by the whole playing group? His 2016 output can't be questioned. It was by far his most team orientated season for his career. Not that he was a selfish player at the Hawks but he certainly seems to thrive on bringing his team mates into the game.

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
To be fair to Buddy, there's been a lot going on in his life. I think another season without the added responsibility would be in his best interests. Look at it again in 2018.

BigBertO

Debutant
Oct 24, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
We need someone who can articulate to the media. Buddy gets lost when he deviates from the script.

"Yeah it was a good win by the club we knew they'll come out cause they are a fantastic football club and we had to play 4 quarters"

R: "Do you buddy, think that maybe this was your best game for the swans?"

"Umm yeah as i said the boys played 4 quarters we spoke about it during the week and horse empfersizzed an early start"

R: "So how do you rate this flogging, is it one of your best"

"As i said they are fantastic footy club and we knew theyll come out out firing"

:drunk:

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah I agree. Parker is a gun but thus far nothing memorable has come from these most important matches. He wasn't right this year though.
Josh Kennedy going to be with us after 2017? Make him captain so he can be remembered forever as one of our greats when he's done.

I love JPK but he has simply too much on his plate off the field to be making him captain. If I was him it would be footy/bed/footy/bed.......

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
People in high places pushing for it

Shouldn't the people in high places make this call

Go hanners

As far as I am aware the players still elect the captains with some encouragement from the footy department.

Here's one that no one has mentioned and he won the players award, Lance Franklin ?

Would love to see it happen but I think Franklin wouldn't personally want the captaincy.

Personally would love to see Kennedy or Grundy go into the role.

Really rate Grundy as a leader in the backline, his vocal, stands up most weeks and works as hard as any player on our list.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Would love to see it happen but I think Franklin wouldn't personally want the captaincy.

Personally would love to see Kennedy or Grundy go into the role.

Really rate Grundy as a leader in the backline, his vocal, stands up most weeks and works as hard as any player on our list.
Lance suffers from ANXIETY. Not the best basis for a captain. Be glad he gives as much as he does! JPK is a guy who just likes to get in and do his job. Let him get on with it. Reg with Kizz would be a good call until Mills is ready.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Lance suffers from ANXIETY. Not the best basis for a captain. Be glad he gives as much as he does! JPK is a guy who just likes to get in and do his job. Let him get on with it. Reg with Kizz would be a good call until Mills is ready.
So do I champ, and comments like that don't help. Goodbye.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
I feel co captains are essential. Spread the media workload crap, less chance a personality clash within the group with two options for feedback etc. And it gives a guy like Rampe a look at it. Who you feel would relish being General Rampe the rogue quaterback.

Second, I do expect two captains that are organiser types given structure is life in the modern game. Which leads me away from gun midfield candidates who I really want 110% commitment to the stoppage and week in week out production. I'd like back half,flankers or outside leaning players as candidates(in that order). If Parker develops more utility, consistency and delivers in a big game there could be something to work with.

Also, too hard to captain when you're the spearhead, especially one that plays such an instinctive game as Buddy.

Rampe is growing on me.

Could see Jack and Rampe leading into 2017, with Rampe and Parker the next duo.. Just need to stress Parker still needs to show a bit. Ideally a 30 goal season spending time as a marking flanker.

Last edited:
I feel co captains are essential. Spread the media workload crap, less chance a personality clash within the group with two options for feedback etc. And it gives a guy like Rampe a look at it. Who you feel would relish being General Rampe the rogue quaterback.

Second, I do expect two captains that are organiser types given structure is life in the modern game. Which leads me away from gun midfield candidates who I really want 110% commitment to the stoppage and week in week out production. I'd like back half,flankers or outside leaning players as candidates(in that order). If Parker develops more utility, consistency and delivers in a big game there could be something to work with.

Also, too hard to captain when you're the spearhead, especially one that plays such an instinctive game as Buddy.

Rampe is growing on me.

Could see Jack and Rampe leading into 2017, with Rampe and Parker the next duo.. Just need to stress Parker still needs to show a bit. Ideally a 30 goal season spending time as a marking flanker.

Totally agree with co-captains and the reasoning behind it on and off field... love the idea of Jack/Rampe and then Rampe/Parker (and agree that Parker needs to grow a bit before this can happen). Still think that with the coaching staff being clear on the requirements for captain, the choice itself should be made by the players.

Spread media work load? Half the time some random player fronts the media even when we have two captains

All the senior playing group, but more specifically the leadership group, will have some team/media/community commitments being part of their role. They attend schools, AFL clinics, fund-raisers for the charities supported by the Sydney Swans, and numerous other events. I know that John Longmire gave a talk regarding leadership etc that was attended by the some of the leadership staff at QBE, Citibank etc and that there are plenty of other events/activities that these guys are involved in. I would imagine that it is most likely never a random player... The co-captains will participate in more than most... why do you doubt this?

PS. Nice name change, must be the season for it! ;)

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm wondering if this change has anything to do with McVeigh's form and limited impact/contribution to the team's on field performances.

Let's face it, macca and Jack have led the team in 2 gf defeats over the last 3 years. And in both matches, neither really did anything to inspire the team to victory. Although, that criticism is levelled more at macca than it is at jack.

Kiran had a crack in the 2016 gf, and put his body on the line. He does some great work on the inside. Not only that, he has been playing the last 4 or so years with a rib injury.

Macca on the other hand missed the geelong game where we put on our best performance of the year. He's expected to get the ball moving forward with great vision and precise disposal but I haven't seen that from him all year. And his defensive efforts are weaker than ever.

We definitely need some new blood, at the very least macca needs to get moved to the side. Woukd be fighting for his place in the side if I were coach.

I'm wondering if this change has anything to do with McVeigh's form and limited impact/contribution to the team's on field performances.

Let's face it, macca and Jack have led the team in 2 gf defeats over the last 3 years. And in both matches, neither really did anything to inspire the team to victory. Although, that criticism is levelled more at macca than it is at jack.

Kiran had a crack in the 2016 gf, and put his body on the line. He does some great work on the inside. Not only that, he has been playing the last 4 or so years with a rib injury.

Macca on the other hand missed the geelong game where we put on our best performance of the year. He's expected to get the ball moving forward with great vision and precise disposal but I haven't seen that from him all year. And his defensive efforts are weaker than ever.

We definitely need some new blood, at the very least macca needs to get moved to the side. Woukd be fighting for his place in the side if I were coach.
Wouldn't be surprised if everyone is aware Macca could get the ROK treatment this season. He can't be captain if there is a chance he'll get dropped back to the NEAFL. Dropping the captain is just looks bad, gets unwanted media attention and puts pressure on the players and club.

For all the talk of Rampe, i think Hanners is a better option. He seems to have grown up a lot and recently signed a long-term deal. He should take over for Macca, then in a year or two Keiran should hand over to Parker. Don't replace both at once, because Hanners (or whoever) would benefit from a mentor for a couple of seasons with regard to the role and responsibilities.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

This is an interesting sentence.
Think about it!
2 Grand Finals in 3 years!
Quite an achievement as captain in 2016 considering it was in a year where the team blooded 7 new players & filled 5 spots in the starting line up for the next 8 or 10 years if all goes well.

So are they lesser captains because their off field leadership throughout the year was good enough to help get these blokes to a level of confidence where they were quite dominant in a prelim against the Cats, only to fall over at the last hurdle? So had we lost in straight sets it would have been 1 GF in 3 years.

I'm not saying I have the answer but the glass half full thinking might be the way our club would be taking the loss this year.

Not one of us had us playing in another GF when we saw Goodesy & Shaw play their last game.

As Captain, Macca has led us to 3 Grand Final appearances in 5 years for one win & 2 losses!
I think that's how the club will judge him.
Whether he goes on in 2017 is another story but in 2016, he has missed the preseason with a calf injury, got himself back to help lead this influx of first gamers to the big day.

You don't win GFs with injured players might be the thoughts of some on here, myself included I guess, but I had us losing this game because you don't win GFs with so little experience.

That's why we lost!

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This is an interesting sentence.
Think about it!
2 Grand Finals in 3 years!
Quite an achievement as captain in 2016 considering it was in a year where the team blooded 7 new players & filled 5 spots in the starting line up for the next 8 or 10 years if all goes well.

So are they lesser captains because their off field leadership throughout the year was good enough to help get these blokes to a level of confidence where they were quite dominant in a prelim against the Cats, only to fall over at the last hurdle? So had we lost in straight sets it would have been 1 GF in 3 years.

I'm not saying I have the answer but the glass half full thinking might be the way our club would be taking the loss this year.

Not one of us had us playing in another GF when we saw Goodesy & Shaw play their last game.

As Captain, Macca has led us to 3 Grand Final appearances in 5 years for one win & 2 losses!
I think that's how the club will judge him.
Whether he goes on in 2017 is another story but in 2016, he has missed the preseason with a calf injury, got himself back to help lead this influx of first gamers to the big day.

You don't win GFs with injured players might be the thoughts of some on here, myself included I guess, but I had us losing this game because you don't win GFs with so little experience.

That's why we lost!

As a team they've done a great job of remaining so competitive with so many youngsters in 2016.

But I put that mainly on the dominance of our midfield group, which jack is a key part of. Hence more criticism levelled at macca because he's a co-captain and only played a bit part role.

When you have a team capable of finishing minor premiers, yet fail in the gf on both occasions, you need to start asking questions.

Obviously the talent is there, but the will against another opponent was not there on the day. In 2016, granted, we had a very young team and that was a major reason why we lost in the gf. But when looking at individual performances, you judge them on their will to win.

Jack gets a pass mark because he put his body on the line and willed himself to the contest. I saw absolutely no desperation in McVeigh's performance and hence I judge him harshly.

He barely had an impact in 2016, we played a blinder when he missed against Geelong in the preliminary and he didn't fire a shot in the gf.

He hasn't been a core contributor for a number of years and has been below his best in I think the last 2 or so years.

Injuries or not, he has only ever had 2 years where he was playing great footy. He was either still developing and was all potential with a couple of flashes, or post his best, he is likely carrying an injury and performing at his best, which frankly, isn't good enough for a captain.

Last edited:
Back