Captains 2017: It's Kennedy! Vice captains Hanners, Parker, Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy with it, albeit as a captain Parker might want to play better in finals himself.

It is the safe choice though, Parker is ready to lead.

Will give him something to do in big games

Happy for Macca to be under scrutiny. He will be under pressure to hold his place in the team and Captains are rarely dropped to the Magoos. Hope his pre season gives him the legs and endurance to continue quality ball movement - because that is where we have few players who can rival Macca when he is at his best. However, if he continues getting caught with the ball, his time should be up, cos we get spanked on turnovers out of defence. He is just too slow to play midfield any more. Mills and Jones and ( Rampe) should get some mid field time, but Macca should become a permanent hbf and help be the General down back now that Ted is gone. As for Captain/s - like the talk with Parker and Hanners. But I would also love it if the players voted for JPK. I reckon it could force him to think about the game in a new way and could make him an even better player than he is now, by thinking about how other players could lift and offering them advice. Up till now it has all been about his own game - and he sure knows how to think his way through that. Time for him to think for others too, cos he has the freedom there, as he has his own game down pat.
McVeigh can employ his excellent captaincy and leadership next year. In the NEAFL. He wont get a game in the firsts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McVeigh can employ his excellent captaincy and leadership next year. In the NEAFL. He wont get a game in the firsts.
Hmm. If the yard of pace he lost last year is not regained in this pre season, then I think that you may well be right. If one of the new lads trains well and is hard at the footy and clean in their disposal, then horse will be tempted to try him. Macca may well have a reprieve in that he might be one of the best half backs that we can field, if Mills or Jones become a mid fielder or rotate through. All will depend on him being able to deliver. If he can't chase and stick tackles ....and his old man calves break down, then his on field leadership and quality foot delivery will not save him from being replaced by Newman or Leonardis. If he misses out on the Captaincy, then his ending will have begun and he will be on notice.

Silly post. Will be eating humble pie come round 1.
He will be named to play seniors come round one...the issue will be how long he can hold his place in the team. The kids are coming and if Macca's 2016 form is the best he offers in 2017, I am not sure that Horse will retain the faith when others are pushing for his spot.

Its a big call for the swans captaincy wise,

Forget round 1 etc , if he earns his spot he plays thats fine. But time to focus on footy Mcveigh and step aside IMO

Has been a good captain and should step down

Its a big call for the swans captaincy wise,

Forget round 1 etc , if he earns his spot he plays thats fine. But time to focus on footy Mcveigh and step aside IMO

Has been a good captain and should step down

It's always a big call to change captains, especially when the side is still performing (even if we have failed at the final hurdle twice), and I do think McVeigh has led the side well over the years (jokes about pointing aside). I don't know the answer, personally I'd let Hannebery and Jack share it, but Jack as sole captain could work too.

Hmm. If the yard of pace he lost last year is not regained in this pre season, then I think that you may well be right. If one of the new lads trains well and is hard at the footy and clean in their disposal, then horse will be tempted to try him. Macca may well have a reprieve in that he might be one of the best half backs that we can field, if Mills or Jones become a mid fielder or rotate through. All will depend on him being able to deliver. If he can't chase and stick tackles ....and his old man calves break down, then his on field leadership and quality foot delivery will not save him from being replaced by Newman or Leonardis. If he misses out on the Captaincy, then his ending will have begun and he will be on notice.
Mate let me assure you it don't come back. Hair, eyesight, memory, teeth, physique, marital tolerance, erectile function, etc, bloody etc. It just don't come back. So the chances of a 31 year old footballer picking up pace is impossible. I write this through a veil of tears of bitterness

Id still like to see Buddy as captain, could be a fun ride

I don't think he'd want it, I think he's more than comfortable with the informal leadership role he already has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back