Mod. Notice Captain's Club benefits

Remove this Banner Ad

Great bloke.

We went up to talk to him, and he just looked at us and had this huge smile. He interrupted a meeting with a business man to ask how we were doing, then when we mentioned his amazing jacket he was more than happy to have a photo.

He looked at the other bloke and asked him to take the photo, which he did.

Bill then asked to see it "Ah boys, its a bit dark in here - lets go somewhere a bit brighter" we said it was fine, but he insisted. Ended up going for a walk and he dragged this other bloke with us to take a couple more shots until he was happy.

He said how he has had a heap of comments about the jacket (which was made custom for him) and he mentioned he may have to get the club to make them in a large batch as they have had a heap of comments. Great bloke, true champion.

Congratulations to Pakeha and Powerstufff who will be representing BigFooty at the Power Goes Carnaby Street event.

I did not even realise I was down for July, cheers. I work in para hills but I can meet at the club between 12 and 1:30 on workdays?

Do we receive two tickets to bring someone else along?

Nice, if it's not too much trouble Thursday sounds like the go. I live in North Adel if that makes anything easier too.

What's happening with the Butcher dinner?

Did I miss it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a great night last night!

I enjoyed getting to meet a few other BF members and place faces to names etc. although was a little disappointed to discover that Ford wasn’t a Arthur Fonzarelli clone I had imagined him to be. The dinner was good (didn’t realise my meal would be half a cow), so I highly recommend the “Port beef ribs” to anyone heading to the club… a steal @ $18.90. Gratz on REH winning the meat tray and Portology the chooks.

I sat close to Daniel Stewart (Redden was down the other end of the table, so I didn’t chat with him too much) and managed to fire a few questions his way. He was generally a great guy there during the dinner. No doubt most players would be, but he was approachable without any arrogance or smugness etc and generally engaging. I thought I would quickly share some the questions I asked and his responses (for those who couldn’t attend or were out of ear shot):

Q) Who’s the best coach you’ve ever had?
A) Mark Williams… he gave him the opportunity, but also helped guide him to raise his levels etc. We then trailed off into conversations about player-coach or employee-manager relationships and how those relationships can make or break careers in any club/workplace.

Q) What’s the best bit of advice you’ve ever received?
A) Can’t recall any.
SKC comment) I was bit stunned that he couldn’t recall anything. Maybe it took him off-guard, but personally I think everyone, in any career, needs some foundation beliefs/advice to build off of. Whether it is something someone has told you or something you’ve read etc. I’m sure with more notice DS would have been able to offer more here.

DS mentioned the NZ trip earlier this year which lead to some questions around that…
Q) What was the experience like, what made I so good, what was challenging etc?
A) (paraphrasing here) It was definitely challenging, which was good to go through and overcome. Great being in different environment with team mates etc… and just loved the scenery and landscapes etc.

DS mentioned the NZ trip wasn’t as challenging as a Flinders Rangers trip they did when 1st landed at the club.
Q) What made the FR trip more challenging… the heat?
A) Yeah the heat was tough, but it was his 1st pre-season at the club. He had been there for about 3-4 weeks and he was off to this camp. They had the Star Force officiers/trainers on the trip with them. They gave them little food (to challenge their mind power), got stuck into them verbally (to challenge their resolve), as well as the physical challenges etc. Again, going from SANFL standard up to this standard was a challenge at the time.

Q) Now that you have a few pre-seasons under your belt, do you think you would handle that trip better now?
A) Yeah, most definitely… it was challenging for the time. More challenging then at that fitness base than NZ was earlier this year after a few preseasons.

Q) What do you think the best game you have played? What is the best game you’ve seen?
A) Best game he’s played = Richmond game (R22 2010… 4g 1b). Best game he has seen… hard to recall… probably the most recent Hawthorn v Geelong game.

Q) Ever played other sports? What do you do outside of footy… how to you unwind and get away from it?
A) He also use to play a bit of tennis. Also plays a bit of golf when he can (sometimes with Schulz at Grange GC)… hitting off around 20 or 22 IIRC. He isn’t into much gaming (PS3, XBOX etc). He used to but got bored of it. Now just unwinds like most other people in watching movies or footy games or sports etc.

Q) Do you live with other players or boarding etc?
A) Declared himself as a bit of a house **** recently. Went through a list of players he’s lived with in recent years (I forget them all TBH.. BreEbo was in there), but is now living within his gf.

Q) Asked a few questions about his career journey from Vic -> QLD -> SANFL -> AFL… and QLD standard of play.
A) A bunch of SANFL clubs sort him out from QLD (basically almost all of them had some discussions with him). Rates the QLD standard above SANFL ressies, but not the same level of SANFL league. It has definitely improved now GCS and Lions are using it more as a reserves base… AFL exposure is also increasing the standard of play there too.

Q) How was the training session with Choppy this morning? Who was the unlucky one who was chosen 1st up for a demonstration with Choppy?
A) No demos with Choppy… thankfully. They showed a highlights clip of Choppy’s techniques over the years. (We mentioned the Rhett Biglands hit)… he mentioned that Tyson Edwards said that was the loudest hit (body impact) he had ever heard on the ground.

Q) General discussion about the Hartlett v Rioli…
A) I wont say specifically what DS said about the incident… but he had a smile on his face in saying it, which made us smile too :D

That’s about all I can recall for now OTMH… the guys both got dragged away, farewelled us all individually and we wished them well for the game against the Eagles.

A few photo opportunities with the 2004 trophy that they kindly fetched out of the display cabinet and some more BF chit chat afterwards wrapped up a good night (despite the drenching rain that unloaded pre-dinner).

Cheers guys.
SKC

Yep,

Twas a good night indeed.

Despite telling everyone I didn't want to sit near a player because I see the blokes enough as it is, I ended up sitting next to Redden and just chatting the whole night to him.

Didn't really talk about a lot of football related stuff but he did chat about how pretty much everything has just fallen into place for him.

He never expected to play AFL, and actually stopped playing Footy and took up Basketball before getting a call out at the Eagles.

From there, when it came around to the Nationals (Under 18s?) the team didn't have a Ruckman and the coach asked the Eagles if they had anyone. They said 'well you can have Redden?' which they took.

From there, everything has just fallen into place.

Has put on something like 14kgs since joining the club, and is currently finalizing a new contract. Was a Crow supporter and he mentioned that one of the clubs he didn't want to come to was Port. But, his whole family are now Port supporters (were all previously Crows) and he is stoked to be at the club.

Can't remember much else really that wasn't just general chit chat, but if I can think of something will post.

Has put on something like 14kgs since joining the club, and is currently finalizing a new contract.

This I like muchly.

I'd also guess that given he feels he's fallen into the career that he is more than content with us, and won't be a contract prima donna in the future.

Just realised I missed the butcher dinner - didnt get a pm :<
Don't worry... so did Butch... with a surgery commitment. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back