Car Seat Headrest

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I know there are a bunch of CSH fans on Bigfooty, so I thought I'd make a standalone thread to discuss the band.

I have listened to the new albums a couple of times now, and it was a little bit disappointing on the whole. I found it stylistically similar to the How to Leave Town EP (LP?) from about 5 years back, which I thought was pretty cool on the whole. Emotive, and the electronic experimentation was decent. This one kind of washes over me.

The thing I have always thought about even their best LP's is there is 3-4 incredible songs, and then a whole heap that are good, and push the album along in the right direction, but taken individually aren't great songs.

The high points of this band are huge though. Bodys, Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales, Cosmic Hero are 10/10 songs whichever way you splice it.

This is such a cool re-model:

• Banned
The new album is probably on par with "Denial" from 2016(in my opinion), it's just not as instantly catchy as some of the singles on the former albums.

This song is really cool!!! Top 10 songs of the year for me!

I dunno i have ever thought of CSH as a ‘catchy’ band. They’ve got some pretty poppy guitar riffs, but I don’t see their music as particularly accessible. The song lengths are usually long, and they structure their songs with lots of variation, and subtle changes. Will’s voice is pretty nasally too - I think he sounds a lot like Mark Everett.

The singles are pretty ear-friendly, but they’re almost beyond the pale compared to other popular indie rock bands.

Possibly my favourite current band. I was a little unsure about the new album at first, it's certainly a change from the longer, stream of consciousness songwriting he engaged in, but the more I listen to it, the more I start to love it. I read the liner notes that he started with just a beat and worked songs out from there, and you can really hear it. He still has a great ear for a catchy tune (taking note of the comment above, I find he hides catchy tunes inside some of his songs, particularly Hollywood, which ends on a really catchy riff...I reckon it's the kind of song Nirvana would have made around In Utero times).

Hollywood, There Must Be more Than Blood and Life Worth Missing are all excellent songs, Martin is a real pop song, Weightlifter is very good. Probably his most accessible album because he has moved on from the 10-minute songs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back