Cars & Transportation Car Torque

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a Yamaha, he reckoned they only made 250 or so, just enough so they could race them at Bathurst or something (could be talking ****). It was 80s looking, with a square headlight, and two exhaust pipes either side of the bike. Had a blue tank with red and white stripes. A road bike. A bloke made him an offer on it when he seen it at garage sale (wasn't for sale at time) and my dad, being my dad who could not be trusted at garage sales (he once sold the table he had everything sitting on, so then just had to put all the crap for sale on the ground for the rest of the day) took it fist offer.

I don't know much about bikes but I really liked how that one looked. Distinctive.

Details/Pics of the Premier?

Not a garage guy either, I try to get mine out at least once a week, but haven't been able to for a fortnight now and it's biting at me. I've no doubt with regular running it would be daily material, but the longer those things sit the touchier they get I reckon. Mine is currently insured for 20k and once I spend 10k on panel beating and respray I'll up it to 40k. Not that I would ever sell it, being my great grandfathers car it has a value that a price can't be put on to see it with someone else.
Sure it wasn't a Honda? https://www.oldbikemag.com.au/honda-cb1100r-machine-mission/
Three-bikes-low-1.jpg

1971 HG, 186, 5 speed floor shift, Lovells upgraded suspension all round, ventilated discs (front). Was bare metal resprayed about 15 years ago but then sat at my parents places on the coast and that kind of stuffed all the chrome on it. Solid car, beautiful to look at and fun to cruise but an absolute nightmare in the city and surrounds.

Attachments

• 20190322_145157.jpg
    20190322_145157.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 113
Sure it wasn't a Honda? https://www.oldbikemag.com.au/honda-cb1100r-machine-mission/
Three-bikes-low-1.jpg

1971 HG, 186, 5 speed floor shift, Lovells upgraded suspension all round, ventilated discs (front). Was bare metal resprayed about 15 years ago but then sat at my parents places on the coast and that kind of stuffed all the chrome on it. Solid car, beautiful to look at and fun to cruise but an absolute nightmare in the city and surrounds.

View attachment 698181

100% a Yamaha, the back seat was flatter than that too. He used to take me out banging around on it on the local BMX tracks as I held on for dear life. He wasn't a responsible bike rider. Used to ride it to and from the pub too. I heard a story once where he was giving a mate a ride home in no condition to be doing that, they got to a big hill. He said to his mate 'I don't think the bike will be able to carry us both up the hill at once, tell ya what, I'll go over first then come back and pick you up' and it made sense to them at the time.

When you said 71 I was thinking a HQ! A mate has an old Premier, 60s or that model I think, it's gold with the most 60s interior ever, everything is red. Everything. It's nice. Five speed doesn't sound original.

Does the CX5 have a tiny boot or am I thinking of the CX3 which is smaller in general?
Yeah, the CX-5 has a pretty decent sized boot. You could quite easily fit a pram and a set of golf clubs in there without putting the rear seats down. CX-3 is based on the Mazda 2 floor plan and so has a tiny boot and small interior.

Yeah, the CX-5 has a pretty decent sized boot. You could quite easily fit a pram and a set of golf clubs in there without putting the rear seats down. CX-3 is based on the Mazda 2 floor plan and so has a tiny boot and small interior.

Fair enough. Must have been CX3 and a Tucson I looked at for someone and the Hyundai had way more space.

Used to think the SUV segment was a waste of time but these days they are pretty handy for what they are. Much better to have soccer mums driving around in 2WD Tucsons and whatnot than clogging up suburban roads with Prados and Range Rovers that never see dirt.

A lot of them the manufacturers have changed the look and feel of the cars to suit who really buys them.

The old Kia Sorento was a scaled down 4WD. Built on a chassis and had a transfer case so you could drive in low range 4WD. Basically looked like a Rav 4 but drove like a small Nissan Patrol. So soccer mums bought it then realised it's actually a heavy car and pretty thirsty. These days they've scrapped the ladder frame chassis and low range and it's just another 'cross over' so off road would be next to useless but perfect for the people who buy it.

Fair enough. Must have been CX3 and a Tucson I looked at for someone and the Hyundai had way more space.

Used to think the SUV segment was a waste of time but these days they are pretty handy for what they are. Much better to have soccer mums driving around in 2WD Tucsons and whatnot than clogging up suburban roads with Prados and Range Rovers that never see dirt.

The CX3 and Tucson aren't really in the same leagues.

Cannot go wrong with a Tucson if you have baby moving duties though even if I can write an essay ranting about the popularity of crossovers and SUVs.

The CX3 and Tucson aren't really in the same leagues.

Cannot go wrong with a Tucson if you have baby moving duties though even if I can write an essay ranting about the popularity of crossovers and SUVs.

I dunno, a Tuscon starts at about $28k compared to about $25k for a CX-3. A CX-5 starts at about $33k. Depending on your budget you could be looking at any of the 3.

I dunno, a Tuscon starts at about $28k compared to about $25k for a CX-3. A CX-5 starts at about $33k. Depending on your budget you could be looking at any of the 3.

I meant when it comes to size. Quality is probably higher but the trade off is how much car you get for your money.

Can I help with the essay?

Basic premise is cars that are way too big for cities driven by nuffies who can barely peer over the steering wheel as they scrape other cars in shopping centre car parks and the most it can do off road is pulling up on the verge when illegally parking to pick up their 2.3 kids from school.

/rant

You don't see many Valiants around these days. Mitsubishi took over in 1980 and the name disappeared whereas Holden and Ford kept making cars for the next 30 odd years so their branding stayed relevant. There are still a few Chargers and R/S Series around but they are pretty rare. I'd love one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't see many Valiants around these days. Mitsubishi took over in 1980 and the name disappeared whereas Holden and Ford kept making cars for the next 30 odd years so their branding stayed relevant. There are still a few Chargers and R/S Series around but they are pretty rare. I'd love one.

See the occasional charger come up for sale in my car groups, a tempting investment but never seen one is close to what I'd call finished condition, most not even road worthy. Not quite as much as the two door Holden's either. I bumped in to a bloke at the parts shop recently who was buying chrome exhaust tips for his Valiant sedan. Same ones as my HQ.

Also seen a few Leyland's recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic premise is cars that are way too big for cities driven by nuffies who can barely peer over the steering wheel as they scrape other cars in shopping centre car parks and the most it can do off road is pulling up on the verge when illegally parking to pick up their 2.3 kids from school.

/rant

Just seems like a victory of marketing and Americanization to me. It's also ironic that they stress these as sports and off road capable vehicles in the advertising. Go back and watch a Kingswood add and I reckon it has more action on the dirt.

Just seems like a victory of marketing and Americanization to me. It's also ironic that they stress these as sports and off road capable vehicles in the advertising. Go back and watch a Kingswood add and I reckon it has more action on the dirt.

I'd back the Kingswood over a Honda CR-V as soon as the road is no longer tarmac. If we ever get the Ford F-150 in large numbers here I will give up on humanity.

I'd back the Kingswood over a Honda CR-V as soon as the road is no longer tarmac.

All day and every day.
One of my fondest memories from the 80's is coming across half a dozen blackfellas outside of Nullagine (WA) with a Kingswood on its lid.
I immediately thought they'd had a rollover.
They laughed at me and said that they were just changing out the diff....a spare they had in the boot.
We had a great night.

I know people who work that have bought SUVs and 4x4 twin cabs because they travel on dirt in their commute. Not off-road so to speak, just unsealed road.

People can spend their earned however they like, but what is it said about fools and their money?

I know people who work that have bought SUVs and 4x4 twin cabs because they travel on dirt in their commute. Not off-road so to speak, just unsealed road.

People can spend their earned however they like, but what is it said about fools and their money?

If they want to buy a 100 foot yacht and park it in Hillarys permanently, whatever floats your boat (pun intended), sure, but when the soccer mums can barely see out of a Range Rover and triple park at the IGA I have a problem.

Got to have a drive of a big block '68 2 door Mustang once. Big brute was so effortless with a torque curve that felt linear. From anywhere to 100mph without any fuss. But to steal a Clarksonism - you got the impression that the steering wheel was in no way connected to the front wheels.

I too have a soft spot for E series holdens, although the EH is my fave. I once had a HZ with a 253 + M21. Liked the motor. Gearbox and clutch not so much.

Dream car - Model A hotrod.

Last edited:

Anyone had much experience with BMWs? The 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s with that sweet turbo 3.0 litre are getting quite affordable second-hand. I’ve only heard good things

Brother in law has a sport BMW manual coupe. It's a pretty good driveway ornament I guess. Doesn't do much else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back