Roast Cardinal George Pell retains honorary role at Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely correct, it's his word that he played, there is nothing in the past records at the club of him actually playing, may have attended a training session, but that's it.
As I said above, he was my old primary school footy coach and he always let people know he played for the u19's and didn't pursue it because he went into the seminary. Maybe it was some silly banter that got out of hand, and it got to the point of no return where he had to keep the story alive.

Absolutely correct, it's his word that he played, there is nothing in the past records at the club of him actually playing, may have attended a training session, but that's it.

correct - only signed with richmond, but didnt make the final list

I said a few weeks ago on the dusty thread, how long before george pell was linked to the club by journous who have nfi and sure enough

What he is facing has nothing to do with the RFC yet somehow we are dragged into it and it becomes a football story,

Boycott the scum papers and journalists

Biggest cover up merchant in the RC church hierachy...
A behind the scenes mover and shaker....
Hence the top position at the Vatican finances...
Privately toes the line with the rc church...publicy acts the sick priest...hypocrite of the highest order...
Sargeant Shultz of the RC Church...i see nothing...i hear nothing...i do nothing...
You got your reward in this life Pell...working at the Vatican...
A privileged fat white male...
With power comes great responsibilty...with pell it was abused...

Yes, true, but he is already guilty of doing nothing to expose those other guilty priests by his own admission. Also, I cannot equate an alleged single enraged episode of a drunken footballer to the allegations of systematic paedophilia by someone who is supposedly representing God. The latter involves many witnesses too, not just the ravings of a story chasing media person. They aren't even in the same universe.
Dusty is guilty of having a Dad with biker connections.

Again, this isn't the place of RFC to do anything about, yet.

Richmond would be hypocritical to remove Pell while under investigation when we didn't do the same for Dusty during the chopstick incident.

We are a football club. We have no part to play in the criminal justice system. If guilt is determined then we can act.
one is legally employed, one holds an honorary position. no problem in stripping him on character grounds.

Richmond would be hypocritical to remove Pell while under investigation when we didn't do the same for Dusty during the chopstick incident.

We are a football club. We have no part to play in the criminal justice system. If guilt is determined then we can act.

Dunno Doc...the Club seems to have zero problem putting its shoulder behind the wheels of female equality, cancer awareness foundations and the like. It could also step up and remove any links to organisations found to have caused massive personal and social trauma.

All in or all out.

Dusty is guilty of having a Dad with biker connections.

Again, this isn't the place of RFC to do anything about, yet.
???????

We are not talking about George Pell's dad are we? We are talking about the actions of the man himself. Extremely poor comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a s**t look for our club no matter how it's spun.

We've dealt with this very poorly and I reckon that the powers that be probably didn't even know he held the role til a die hard Richmond fan brought it to their attention.

Dunno Doc...the Club seems to have zero problem putting its shoulder behind the wheels of female equality, cancer awareness foundations and the like. It could also step up and remove any links to organisations found to have caused massive personal and social trauma.

All in or all out.
Anyone can support the club.

I haven't once made this about their institution or my personal beliefs. Don't think it's relevant. I support Gale's stance on this.

They can review it afterwards regardless of the outcome but better not to move until then.

“It’s really important for me to share my story because when I talk, even in my daily life to people that I don’t know or even with people I know, everybody still thinks he was guilty,” Coccoz, known as juror #10, told Fox News. “And I find it hard to believe that it’s still going on. That’s not what happened… he was accused of some horrible, horrible things and it’s a sad thing that we lost such a wonderful human being on this planet. It painted a picture of him being this monster when he spent all his life trying to do good things for children, that had to have just crushed him,” she said. “I know it would have crushed me. To rob him of the joy of what he worked so hard (for) in his life was just so, so wrong. I can only imagine for him, that was probably the reason why he had a hard time with finding that spark again. I imagine that spark was just taken away.” - Juror from the Michael Jackson trial.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.f...se-would-still-vote-not-guilty-today.amp.html. The point of this post? Don't be quick to judge when you know jack s**t, innocent until proven guilty. Not innocent until you're made a scapegoat and hunted down for an easy story by the far left ABC. Pell deserves a fair trial. People still think Michael Jackson is guilty, and when the FBI raided his place and searched through 49 computers, they could only find man-on-women pr0n. What I find more criminal than someone charged, are the cowards that make them out to be guilty when they're innocent. OP is clueless, club did the right thing 100% and rightfully so aren't dealing with bad press.

“It’s really important for me to share my story because when I talk, even in my daily life to people that I don’t know or even with people I know, everybody still thinks he was guilty,” Coccoz, known as juror #10, told Fox News. “And I find it hard to believe that it’s still going on. That’s not what happened… he was accused of some horrible, horrible things and it’s a sad thing that we lost such a wonderful human being on this planet. It painted a picture of him being this monster when he spent all his life trying to do good things for children, that had to have just crushed him,” she said. “I know it would have crushed me. To rob him of the joy of what he worked so hard (for) in his life was just so, so wrong. I can only imagine for him, that was probably the reason why he had a hard time with finding that spark again. I imagine that spark was just taken away.” - Juror from the Michael Jackson trial.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.f...se-would-still-vote-not-guilty-today.amp.html. The point of this post? Don't be quick to judge when you know jack s**t, innocent until proven guilty. Not innocent until you're made a scapegoat and hunted down for an easy story by the far left ABC. Pell deserves a fair trial. People still think Michael Jackson is guilty, and when the FBI raided his place and searched through 49 computers, they could only find man-on-women pr0n. What I find more criminal than someone charged, are the cowards that make them out to be guilty when they're innocent. OP is clueless, club did the right thing 100% and rightfully so aren't dealing with bad press.

Firstly, I am not saying he should be jailed. He deserves a fair trial. However, the charges are serious enough for him to step down from any roles he has until he is cleared by a jury. As opposed to Dustin Martin, he actually has been charged. Martin was only investigated and never charged of anything. There is a big difference.

Secondly, we only have his word against many others that this didn't occur. Even in the Royal Commission, he was criticised by his own followers for distorting the truth.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/card...se-cover-up-inquiry-told-20160426-gofslb.html

He is guilty of not doing enough to protect children from predatory priests. Whether he was one of those too, is now going to be debated in a court of law.

It is customary for officials to stand down, once charged with crimes, so there is nothing new there. He should also stand down from his honorary roles.

“Pell deserves a fair trial. People still think Michael Jackson is guilty, and when the FBI raided his place and searched through 49 computers, they could only find man-on-women pr0n. What I find more criminal than someone charged, are the cowards that make them out to be guilty when they're innocent. OP is clueless, club did the right thing 100% and rightfully so aren't dealing with bad press.

You didn't even read my post.

I agreed that the club did the right thing... but could have acted earlier. I also agree with innocent until proven guilty. But as many have pointed out in this thread, he's certainly guilty of many things.

Michael Jackson is an odd comparison.

Firstly, I am not saying he should be jailed. He deserves a fair trial. However, the charges are serious enough for him to step down from any roles he has until he is cleared by a jury. As opposed to Dustin Martin, he actually has been charged. Martin was only investigated and never charged of anything. There is a big difference.

Secondly, we only have his word against many others that this didn't occur. Even in the Royal Commission, he was criticised by his own followers for distorting the truth.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/card...se-cover-up-inquiry-told-20160426-gofslb.html

He is guilty of not doing enough to protect children from predatory priests. Whether he was one of those too, is now going to be debated in a court of law.

It is customary for officials to stand down, once charged with crimes, so there is nothing new there. He should also stand down from his honorary roles.
"Officials" do it because the situation would impact on their ability to perform their duties and because it becomes a distraction for where they perform their duties. Neither of those things apply with our club in this situation.

I really do get where you're coming from, but:
1) The club have already stated their position and moral outrage won't change it.
2) Making a big deal about this implies we're somehow involved when it's nothing to do with us.

Sorry if it's obvious. But what actually is an honorary role, and how did he (or others) get on it?

*I don't know enough about this to have an opinion either way, just curious.

You didn't even read my post.

I agreed that the club did the right thing... but could have acted earlier. I also agree with innocent until proven guilty. But as many have pointed out in this thread, he's certainly guilty of many things.

Michael Jackson is an odd comparison.
MJ provides us with hindsight on why we shouldn't be quick to throw stones. The juror had such a glowing endorsement of him, sad that mostly everyone outside the courtroom already penciled him for prison as a criminal. But hey not hating on you, just want everyone to get a fair trail.

"Officials" do it because the situation would impact on their ability to perform their duties and because it becomes a distraction for where they perform their duties. Neither of those things apply with our club in this situation.

I really do get where you're coming from, but:
1) The club have already stated their position and moral outrage won't change it.
2) Making a big deal about this implies we're somehow involved when it's nothing to do with us.
Unfortunately Pell is a huge deal. Is there a more infamous person in Australia right at this moment? His infamy has to do with the way he operated his organisation while it dealt with sexual abuse crime against children through decades/ almost half a century.

To my knowledge there is zero connection between the matters he is fronting Royal Commissions about and the RFC. And no one suggests RFC are involved in Pell's activities. But the club has chosen not to cancel/suspend Pell's honorary position which he held for the whole period of him being archbishop and treating victims appallingly.

So Pell's role with us has become an issue for the press, become an issue for the club. And we are guilty by association. We should have ended Pell's role at the club a decade ago on moral grounds but as we didn't, it is not a good look to terminate his role now.

OK its Sunday morning I better go to mass

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back