Cardinal Pell honorary role with Richmond - Is this the last straw?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
upload_2018-5-2_11-21-1.jpeg

This is an embarrassing association for the club and it's weak from the board to sit on the fence and wait. As others have said, aside from the current charges, the Royal Commission should've been enough for us to cut this particular tie.

Not sure why there's such an outcry over stripping him of the position either. The club are entitled to hand the role to (or take it from) whomever they want based purely on a whim. Whether innocent or guilty, the club owes him nothing, unlike his church role, it's not a position for life.

The position is a wank anyway, not sure why we even have it.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Your hatred for religion has basically given you the green light to make a person guilty before having the chance to be proven innocent which is wrong.

But I’m Greek Orthodox and in our Christian religion, our priests can be married, have children and have sex with women.
Hopefully the women are the ones they are married to......

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Half the charges were thrown out. We have no idea how strong the evidence for the other half is.
You can't ignore all the good he has done in his life for what are just allegations at the moment. I agree that he let things slide through when he was young but I have no idea what power he had to stop things when he was in a much more junior position.

As stated, If you feel strongly about his position at the club and you are a member, ring them and let them know your feelings.

I am happy to wait and see if he is innocent.

rmcq

????????????
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Someone with a strong sense of morality and decency would stand aside from a patron’s role while involved in such heinous accusations, avoiding any harm to the organisation they pretend to support.

Clearly Pell is not such a person.

It’s not up to Richmond here.

Your hatred for religion has basically given you the green light to make a person guilty before having the chance to be proven innocent which is wrong.

But I’m Greek Orthodox and in our Christian religion, our priests can be married, have children and have sex with women.
Was that aimed at me? If so, not at all. I'm perfectly happy coexisting with any religion or religious person that lets me lead my life in peace, and abides by what I think should be a universal human value of not harming others.

Interestingly enough I had to deal with a similar situation in my life recently. Without going into details I had a professional relationship with someone and I was increasingly disturbed by what appeared to be going on in their life. I was actually kept up at night worrying if i should cut ties as it would hurt them financially, although in a minor way. I came to the conclusion that without judging them I would break ties with them. Dealing with their issues was not a part of my professional responsibilities. In this instance I think the club should do the same.

As I said in the OP I admit to being mercenary about this. I think this is what's best for the club, and hope it can be done in a way that avoids casting judgement. Having said that, I'd be very surprised if the club did anything other than take the easy path and wait till the end of the trial.

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
The dude accompanied Gerald Ridsdale, prolific child predator / rapist and his former flatmate, to court each day and was a character witness for him. Regardless of the outcome of his current trials (there will be two separate trials so who knows hold long this could play out) that should be enough to disassociate him from our great club, IMO.

2ba9a6d5b1710a4fbb549aff5ba1ebb7c42a1ee0

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Someone with a strong sense of morality and decency would stand aside from a patron’s role while involved in such heinous accusations, avoiding any harm to the organisation they pretend to support.

Clearly Pell is not such a person.

It’s not up to Richmond here.

Not laying guilt or absolving him ..... nor questioning it being his call or not to stand aside.
But I'm tipping the ol' Cardinal holds honorary positions by the dozens .... possibly hundreds .... I'm tipping while mounting a legal defence he has much time to consider which, any, or every organisation he should stand aside from. He's the honorary patron of many clubs and organisations so the club s best placed to make the call and should.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Does anyone really think his position is hurting the club?

I really can't see how.

92.5k members don't seem worried.

'It's all about te optics', thanks Gil ;)
It's not hurting us, no ... but the minute he accompanied an supported Risdale in court it was time to give him the raspberry and sars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Helen Wheels

Hustler
10k Posts Richmond Tigers - 2018 Player Sponsor
Jun 5, 2015
Demimonde
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
KiwiTiger I don't know if your expertise in risk assessment for the club covers this area but would much appreciate your views from a professional standpoint.

17Dream

Caesar's Ghost
Apr 2, 2018
MCC Members 1980
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
St Kevin's Amateur Premiers 2017
It's a shame because there is a glaring shortage of homicide detectives, but Victoria Police Keystone Cops established a dedicated taskforce to investigate Cardinal Pell. It took one year for the first charge to be laid!
Then the Keystone Cops decided to bundle together various charges over a 40-year timespan, which is unprecedented.
Sensibly, the court has decided to separate the charges.
Most of the most serious charges have been struck out as fabricated baseless verbals.
The cases should have been dealt with by the Magistrates Court and not involved the Office of Public Prosecutions, wasting taxpayer funds and resources.
Meantime, the families of homicide victims are languishing due to a lack of police and prosecutors.

Last edited:

rmcq

????????????
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Not laying guilt or absolving him ..... nor questioning it being his call or not to stand aside.
But I'm tipping the ol' Cardinal holds honorary positions by the dozens .... possibly hundreds .... I'm tipping while mounting a legal defence he has much time to consider which, any, or every organisation he should stand aside from. He's the honorary patron of many clubs and organisations so the club s best placed to make the call and should.
I understand Pell May have many patronages. But the man is still innocent, Richmond could not make such a prejudicial call. They could certainly contact Pell's office and request he resign. I would urge Peggy to do that.

If there starts to be more noise made, and Richmond gets associated with Pell, then I'd expect a Pell to resign.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
I understand Pell May have many patronages. But the man is still innocent, Richmond could not make such a prejudicial call. They could certainly contact Pell's office and request he resign. I would urge Peggy to do that.

If there starts to be more noise made, and Richmond gets associated with Pell, then I'd expect a Pell to resign.
Mate the guy is pleading not guilty as he has a right to do, he has steadfastedly denied, unfortunately mud will stick , need to get rid of any association with kiddie fidlers

Helen Wheels

Hustler
10k Posts Richmond Tigers - 2018 Player Sponsor
Jun 5, 2015
Demimonde
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
There was a norf dude who was derailing Richmond-based threads back in January about this issue.
That thread was moved to Society, Politics and Religion IIRC.
Yeah, he was a rabid Richmond-hater, saying that Richmond was a corrupt, immoral club.
Was pretty desperate to score cheap points against us while claiming the moral high ground.

The dude accompanied Gerald Ridsdale, prolific child predator / rapist and his former flatmate, to court each day and was a character witness for him. Regardless of the outcome of his current trials (there will be two separate trials so who knows hold long this could play out) that should be enough to disassociate him from our great club, IMO.

2ba9a6d5b1710a4fbb549aff5ba1ebb7c42a1ee0
That kinda gets to the seat of the problem.
Pell's committed to showing unconditional love and support to someone whos asked to be forgiven.
That bloke with bad sunnies is a priest and he knows his God has a certain way of dealing with people who violate children.
He burns them.
Pell is still showing him unconditional love and not judging him cause he's a priest and that his go, he's infront of the courts now because of whether or not that conflict of interest led him to break the law.

Vitriol

Team Captain
Mar 25, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Best case scenario he is only a peado enabler.

Worst case scenario...

The man is scum and should have no official affiliation with the club. Just because he believes the same fairy tales as you does not make him a good person.

Best case scenario he is only a peado enabler.

Worst case scenario...

The man is scum and should have no official affiliation with the club. Just because he believes the same fairy tales as you does not make him a good person.
If you mean me, I haven't said anything about my own beliefs.
People who break the law should be treated that way and should cop it exactly the same regardless of wealth, religion, reputation or whatever...it's in the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back