Cardinal Pell honorary role with Richmond - Is this the last straw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry mods, I know this will be a lightening rod for all sorts of crapola, but hopefully we can have a moderately civil discussion.

As per Mattt's closed thread, Gale has previously stated:
"Cardinal George Pell will keep his honorary role at AFL club Richmond as he faces sex offence charges.
"In light of Cardinal Pell's fundamental rights to the presumption of innocence and to a fair trial, he will remain a vice-patron of the club pending the outcome of any trial," Gale told Fox Footy."

Pell has now been committed to stand trial for historical sex assault charges.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ical-sex-assault-charges-20180501-p4zckv.html

Well for me this is the end. IMHO we simply cannot have someone in this position representing the club in any fashion.

I can hear the wailers and gnashers of teeth right now ... 'the presumption of innocence' you cry! Well, can you imagine a player being afforded the same leeway in this circumstance? I thought not - they'd be out on their arse in a second. I'll admit that might not apply to some, and I'm being mercenary about this, but has Pell ever done anything for the RFC?

Time for Benny to respectfully suspend Pell's vice-patronage role, and to make it clear that while he is subject to charges he will not be representing the club. Surely this is a reasonable, minimum step for the club to take?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2004
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
United, KV Mechelen
Agree totally. Can't believe he still kept his role to be honest. Thought he should have been stripped of it before. Surely now. I do have a pathological hatred of organised religion which may slightly make me biased but I don't see any positives or benefits for him retaining the role. If he was half a human & Richmond supporter he would stand down anyway to save the club any potential embarrassment. Club far bigger than any individual

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I don't think we can disown him as it would be classed as defamation. Regardless of whether or not you think he is guilty, he has a right to his day in court - which is imminent - and we will find out for certain then. If he's proven guilty, sure, remove all links. If he's proven not guilty, then we'd look like pretty big idiots.

Sorry mods, I know this will be a lightening rod for all sorts of crapola, but hopefully we can have a moderately civil discussion.

"Cardinal George Pell will keep his honorary role at AFL club Richmond as he faces sex offence charges.
"In light of Cardinal Pell's fundamental rights to the presumption of innocence and to a fair trial, he will remain a vice-patron of the club pending the outcome of any trial," Gale told Fox Footy."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ical-sex-assault-charges-20180501-p4zckv.html

Well for me this is the end. IMHO we simply cannot have someone in this position representing the club in any fashion.

I can hear the wailers and gnashers of teeth right now ... 'the presumption of innocence' you cry! Well, can you imagine a player being afforded the same leeway in this circumstance? I thought not - they'd be out on their arse in a second. I'll admit that might not apply to some, and I'm being mercenary about this, but has Pell ever done anything for the RFC?

Time for Benny to respectfully suspend Pell's vice-patronage role, and to make it clear that while he is subject to charges he will not be representing the club. Surely this is a reasonable, minimum step for the club to take?

Thoughts?
I’m with you.

Helen Wheels

Hustler
10k Posts Richmond Tigers - 2018 Player Sponsor
Jun 5, 2015
Demimonde
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
The club has no choice other than to leave him where he is until the case is resolved.
If the club sacked him, it could be seen as commenting on the case in favour of the prosecution, perhaps even contempt of court.
His legal team would be all over it like a rash and drag RFC into an unwanted situation.
The media would love it.
Much wiser to leave things alone and wait for the outcome ... then get shot of him by some sort of "mutual agreement" even if found not guilty.

I don't think we can disown him as it would be classed as defamation. Regardless of whether or not you think he is guilty, he has a right to his day in court - which is imminent - and we will find out for certain then. If he's proven guilty, sure, remove all links. If he's proven not guilty, then we'd look like pretty big idiots.
I agree he has the right to his day in court, but I also believe we have an equal right to protect our clubs legacy, standing in the community, and what we as a club represent. I'm not saying disown him, I'm suggesting that the minimum given the circumstances should be to suspend his role. Hopefully this can be done in a respectful way, but it should be done nonetheless.

A player would probably be sacked for this, what has Pell done that makes him more valuable than someone who has bled for the jumper? This is by the way a genuine question.

Regardless of his culpability personally, his church of which he is the highest ranking member of in this country has blood on its hands. Literally. And they did more to protect themselves and perpetrators than they did to help or protect victims (people in their so called flock)

I want the RFC to have zero association with this bloke or his church. They are a disgrace.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I agree he has the right to his day in court, but I also believe we have an equal right to protect our clubs legacy, standing in the community, and what we as a club represent. I'm not saying disown him, I'm suggesting that the minimum given the circumstances should be to suspend his role. Hopefully this can be done in a respectful way, but it should be done nonetheless.

A player would probably be sacked for this, what has Pell done that makes him more valuable than someone who has bled for the jumper? This is by the way a genuine question.
Suspending him would be a better option. I think a player in the same circumstance would be suspended indefinitely too - to draw on a lesser example the club was reluctant to to act on the Nathan Broad incident until the police had investigated, same with the Dusty chopsticks allegations. That’s because, until the police go through it, these allegations are just allegations. Much like the chopstick incident allegations, these allegations could be bullshit, however likely that may be.

The club has no choice other than to leave him where he is until the case is resolved.
If the club sacked him, it could be seen as commenting on the case in favour of the prosecution, perhaps even contempt of court.
His legal team would be all over it like a rash and drag RFC into an unwanted situation.
The media would love it.
Much wiser to leave things alone and wait for the outcome ... then get shot of him by some sort of "mutual agreement" even if found not guilty.
To be honest I have no idea what his role involves, but I've never seen him involved in an RFC function / event / announcement. Surely we don't have to hold a press conference and it could be quietly and respectfully managed. I honestly think the media would be on board too.

Nearly a half of the initial charges have been dropped or thrown out.
Be that as it may, he stands accused of perverting the course of justice in regards to sex offences against children, being an accessory after the fact and a Magistrate has now ordered that there is enough evidence for a trial.
A very long trial probably.
I'd rather be proud of whomever it is that's got some honorary role with Richmond than this bloke but i won't crack it with the club if they decide to sit tight.

Suspending him would be a better option. I think a player in the same circumstance would be suspended indefinitely too - to draw on a lesser example the club was reluctant to to act on the Nathan Broad incident until the police had investigated, same with the Dusty chopsticks allegations. That’s because, until the police go through it, these allegations are just allegations. Much like the chopstick incident allegations, these allegations could be bullshit, however likely that may be.
Unusually for BF we are in agreement! Having said that, a significant difference is that neither Broad or Dusty had charges laid or went to trial, which is what is happening with Pell now. As we've agreed, surely a reason for the club to suspend him from the role.

Nearly a half of the initial charges have been dropped or thrown out.
Be that as it may, he stands accused of perverting the course of justice in regards to sex offences against children, being an accessory after the fact and a Magistrate has now ordered that there is enough evidence for a trial.
A very long trial probably.
I'd rather be proud of whomever it is that's got some honorary role with Richmond than this bloke but i won't crack it with the club if they decide to sit tight.
Imagine a player had the equivalent rap sheet and was committed to trial. Would you expect the club to let them keep playing or suspend them for the duration? I honestly don't know what (if anything) Pell has done for the club, but I'd be wanting a suspension for bringing our club into disrepute. Again, handled tactfully, but done nonetheless.

And for the record, I'm not the sort to crack it over something as trivial as sport, but I'd definitely be disappointed in our club if this didn't happen.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters

Thoughts?
Bull s**t he’s innocent until proven guilty. We live in Australia and if you read the allegations against him they’re so flawed and the alleged victim is a lunatic.

We’ve been down this path before so close thread until a decision is made.

Last edited:

Helen Wheels

Hustler
10k Posts Richmond Tigers - 2018 Player Sponsor
Jun 5, 2015
Demimonde
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
Unusually for BF we are in agreement! Having said that, a significant difference is that neither Broad or Dusty had charges laid or went to trial, which is what is happening with Pell now. As we've agreed, surely a reason for the club to suspend him from the role.
Don't think we can really compare the localised and comparatively trivial incidents of the two players with the world-wide attention Pell is getting.
To do anything to him at this stage could land the club in a real shitstorm.
Save the pitchforks and blazing torches for afterwards.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
We must be going well.
I agree these kids who can’t read between the lines and don’t understand Commonwealth laws . They’re Catholic bashers and now belong to the new religion of the Yes vote where if you don’t agree with them you have lost your rights. The hypocrisy .

Imagine a player had the equivalent rap sheet and was committed to trial. Would you expect the club to let them keep playing or suspend them for the duration? I honestly don't know what (if anything) Pell has done for the club, but I'd be wanting a suspension for bringing our club into disrepute. Again, handled tactfully, but done nonetheless.

And for the record, I'm not the sort to crack it over something as trivial as sport, but I'd definitely be disappointed in our club if this didn't happen.
It's a pretty loaded situation for the club.
I was imagining what Eddie McGuire would be like if Pell was associated with them, I think he'd have his face infront of any camera that was on saying he'd let due process run its course and all that, which would probably give me the shits. In a way not unlike how annoyed me when the afl sacked those guys because they had affairs.
I don't want to be told what the "right thing to do is" and I'd prefer if the club didn't take up a position on what "the right thing to do is".
Instead of saying crack it at the club I should have said not give them some heat about it.

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Bull s**t he’s innocent until proven guilty. We live in Australia and if you read the allegations against him they’re so flawed and the alleged victim is a lunatic.

We’ve been down this path before so close thread until a decision is made.
I have heard from a reliable source that the evidence against him is strong, although unfortunately one of the alleged victims has died before it could come to trial. I don't think it is just one victim that is involved in this trial.

I agree that there should be a presumption of innocence until found guilty. If he is found guilty then for then for the club to make a strong statement.

Last edited:

GN272

All Australian
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Jove de Tarragona (Castellers)
Tigers,
- Maybe the club needs to suspend its association with him so he can 'concentrate on the issues' before him. Make a brief statement of this nature - the club is not entering into a guilt/innocent debate, or the religious issues associated with him and his position.

- BUT, having said that - is this the sort of person or issue the club wants/needs to be associated with, considering the stance it took over the issues with the photo of lady and the GF medal ... they may need to extract itself from the 'Pell issue' very carefully.

Yours in Tiger excellence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back