Cardinal Pell honorary role with Richmond - Is this the last straw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
And whom sits in judgement of what is deemed 'racist'.

If I think Islam (as it is practiced in places like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan) is a disgusting religion (because of the mutilation of girls, forced marriage, requirements for women to cover their entire bodies if they go out in public, public beheadings/'honour killings' by the moral police, etc. etc.), and happen to say this in public, do I also lose my Richmond membership? I'm not saying that I am right on this issue, but surely I have a right to hold and express a view.

How do you know that Bolt is 'racist at the game'? Have you sat next to him?

Bogan bloke who beats the **** out his wife and kids, bullies his co-workers and gets into 1 road rage incident per day, but doesn't have a criminal record, he's fine to keep his membership?

Are Brendan and Peggy going to sit down and strike off 5,000 members who disagree with same-sex marriage (actually the number would be more like 35,000 if we go with the Victorian plebiscite numbers)? What about if a third wave feminist comes out and says that she hates all white men. Does she get to keep her membership because it fits in with the warped ideology of the Left, with their war on men, the wealthy, jews and Christianity?

Fair dinkum I'm sick of the virtue signallers who clearly have nothing better to do with their time than take offence (is this their full time job?) at people for holding an opinion counter to theirs. I was young in the 70's but lived through it - and I would never have thought it would be Conservatives trying to defend free speech, and the Left trying to tear it down.
Sorry my point was, as mentioned earlier in the thread,if you are racist in the stand at the 'G and are indentified you lose your membership.

Take 100 steps out of the ground and be racist, no one is informing the club, it's immediately disconnected.

Kinda weird no?

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry my point was, as mentioned earlier in the thread,if you are racist in the stand at the 'G and are indentified you lose your membership.

Take 100 steps out of the ground and be racist, no one is informing the club, it's immediately disconnected.

Kinda weird no?
Not really. At the ground you are expected to behave in a certain manner. Those around you cannot get away from you and you are directly vilifying the player. Just like if you are in the live theatre, you can't stand up and rant and rave as you'll be thrown out. Once on the street you can rant and rave and no one will care.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers

Kinda weird no?
I totally misunderstood, sorry

Whats next? Ban everyone who is part of

The Church of the Unholy Octopus!!??

42A6AE05-DF1A-44D5-A344-3312AD434E0A.jpeg

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
And whom sits in judgement of what is deemed 'racist'.

If I think Islam (as it is practiced in places like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan) is a disgusting religion (because of the mutilation of girls, forced marriage, requirements for women to cover their entire bodies if they go out in public, public beheadings/'honour killings' by the moral police, etc. etc.), and happen to say this in public, do I also lose my Richmond membership? I'm not saying that I am right on this issue, but surely I have a right to hold and express a view.

How do you know that Bolt is 'racist at the game'? Have you sat next to him?

Bogan bloke who beats the **** out his wife and kids, bullies his co-workers and gets into 1 road rage incident per day, but doesn't have a criminal record, he's fine to keep his membership?

Are Brendan and Peggy going to sit down and strike off 5,000 members who disagree with same-sex marriage (actually the number would be more like 35,000 if we go with the Victorian plebiscite numbers)? What about if a third wave feminist comes out and says that she hates all white men. Does she get to keep her membership because it fits in with the warped ideology of the Left, with their war on men, the wealthy, jews and Christianity?

Fair dinkum I'm sick of the virtue signallers who clearly have nothing better to do with their time than take offence (is this their full time job?) at people for holding an opinion counter to theirs. I was young in the 70's but lived through it - and I would never have thought it would be Conservatives trying to defend free speech, and the Left trying to tear it down.
Fantastic post Mate, could not agree with you any more👍
Everyone can have an opinion, others can disagree with it but it doesn’t mean you can’t state it or it’s wrong.
I too grew up mainly in the 70’s and there was none of this taking offense bulldust back then.

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I was young in the 70's but lived through it - and I would never have thought it would be Conservatives trying to defend free speech, and the Left trying to tear it down.

You may be right, but the power shift comes from who has the moral authority at the time... the conservatives threw their weight around back then because they had the moral high ground (the George Pell kind) and institutional power to treat women and minorities like second class citizens.

Now they play the victim card and cry foul when they get called out for the stuff they previously got away with. It’s just a sign of the times I reckon. They are clinging to free speech for having their feet held to the fire.

And btw today ‘lefty’ Dan Andrews said he is supportive of kids protesting tomorrow in favour of climate change action, whilst ‘conservative’ dumpster fire scomo who is less popular than an isis bride was saying kids should not protest and go to school instead.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
I blame social media. There was a meltdown today for the millenniums. Facebook was down this morning worldwide. The 70s and 80s was a great time to live lots more freedom.

Facebook down and Qld police fielded calls on the 000 number over it, the world has gone nuts

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
You may be right, but the power shift comes from who has the moral authority at the time... the conservatives threw their weight around back then because they had the moral high ground (the George Pell kind) and institutional power to treat women and minorities like second class citizens.

Now they play the victim card and cry foul when they get called out for the stuff they previously got away with. It’s just a sign of the times I reckon. They are clinging to free speech for having their feet held to the fire.

And btw today ‘lefty’ Dan Andrews said he is supportive of kids protesting tomorrow in favour of climate change action, whilst ‘conservative’ dumpster fire scomo who is less popular than an isis bride was saying kids should not protest and go to school instead.
The kids can do what they like. I'd expect as a parent that the teachers refrain from joining them in political action, and keep their political opinions out of the classroom. Get back to the core business of teaching English, maths, science (yes climate science if that is on the curriculum), etc. Leave the teaching of sexuality and other deeply private/personal matters to the parents, especially in the state schooling system.

George Pell is certainly not representative of the type of conservative philosophy I sympathise with (i.e. libertarianism). I'm very happy that the Catholic Church has been exposed for the reprehensible behaviour of senior clergy over decades/centuries.

Most conservatives I speak to advocate equality of opportunity (as opposed to equality of outcome), and therefore despise the mistreatment of women and other minorities.

Don't get me started on Isis brides.

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
interesting debate re. Bolt- I'm in the camp that he should lose membership, racist at the game, racist elsewhere, should be treated the same
do you not see a difference in someone yelling racial abuse at the footy and a media commentator writing a factually dubious article and questioning whether certain people use their heritage for monetary gain?

one is assault, the other was (a. bolt) not

who else should we ban whilst we're on our high horse?

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Bolt is a dickhead but if people have nothing better to do with their time but pretend to be superior in their views about anything and everything and want him to be stripped of his membership then the world is stuffed. Who cares what he thinks. That should not be a reason to cancel memberships. I guarantee you that there are many more members who have done a lot worse than Bolt in their lives that continue to be members and so they should. What sort of police state shizen world do people actually want to live in? FMD.
absolutely

bill maher is a u.s lefty, but funny and not p.c
after trump got in he said
'it's our ******* fault, the left's fault, we yell and scream and howl down anyone we don't agree with instead of listening. we never sit down and talk to people'

he may be left but he was right

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Kinda weird no?
because one is assault, on a racial basis, pretty easy to understand actually

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
The kids can do what they like. I'd expect as a parent that the teachers refrain from joining them in political action, and keep their political opinions out of the classroom. Get back to the core business of teaching English, maths, science (yes climate science if that is on the curriculum), etc. Leave the teaching of sexuality and other deeply private/personal matters to the parents, especially in the state schooling system.

George Pell is certainly not representative of the type of conservative philosophy I sympathise with (i.e. libertarianism). I'm very happy that the Catholic Church has been exposed for the reprehensible behaviour of senior clergy over decades/centuries.

Most conservatives I speak to advocate equality of opportunity (as opposed to equality of outcome), and therefore despise the mistreatment of women and other minorities.

Don't get me started on Isis brides.
The kids marching is not a political thing, it's realising that no side of the mainstream political fence are doing enough in regard to climate change. Good on them and good on their teachers and who else represents them. Just that normally it is the Libs that tut tut the loudest.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Bolt is a dickhead but if people have nothing better to do with their time but pretend to be superior in their views about anything and everything and want him to be stripped of his membership then the world is stuffed. Who cares what he thinks. That should not be a reason to cancel memberships. I guarantee you that there are many more members who have done a lot worse than Bolt in their lives that continue to be members and so they should. What sort of police state shizen world do people actually want to live in? FMD.
agree. bolt is an absolute numpty. unfortunately there are also truckloads of numpties out the who take notice of people like bolt and jones .......

no reason to cancel membership cos some people are brain dead.

tigerisland

All Australian
Jun 1, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
T
agree. bolt is an absolute numpty. unfortunately there are also truckloads of numpties out the who take notice of people like bolt and jones .......

no reason to cancel membership cos some people are brain dead.
This did not age well. Bolt was right the whole time and the Victorian Judiciary, Police and the ABC have been exposed as the leftist activists that they are. RFC must reinstate Pells’s previous position in the club by close of business today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back