The Law Cardinal Pell

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do know that the leader of the opposition has similar accusations leveled against him, right?
Well from adult/s anyway. I've heard from enough sources he's an utter campaigner by any metric but nothing about him being a rock spider.

It wasn't an editorial I read, it was telling the story. I will look again as I didn't see the editorial.. However, if they have told the truth of what happened then I have no issue with it.

Why was a suppression order put in place? ..because he's famous? That imo, becomes one rule for us and one rule for the rich and famous.

If he is guilty of these charges then we and the world should know about it.
MacMum, this is an issue close to my heart. I was abused by the notorious Ridsdale in 1982. The effects of that are still with me today and realistically always will be - there is no such thing as closure. I have lost a lot, virtually everything because of the psychological and behavioural effects the incident has had on me.

The reason the suppression order was put in place (by the prosecution - OPP) was to prevent Pell's legal team led by the notorious Robert Richter QC, from running an argument than Pell was unable to receive a fair trial due to the huge media focus. I attend a group session in Ballarat once a month, although I have never had the misfortune of encountering Pell in person, there are fella's in my group involved in the cases. This is a nightmare for them. I agreed with the suppression order because the last thing I want is someone to walk free because of a technicality. It doesn't have anything to do with him getting preferential treatment, it was done to ensure he can be prosecuted fairly and any verdict untainted by public opinion. I am sure there will be consequences as a result of this breach, I just hope George is not he beneficiary of it, that wouldn't be justice and that's all we are after.

Nope, standard practice for severed trials.
Pretty much only in vic and to a degree sa. These two states make up 70% iirc of the suppression orders. NSW etc have reformed, Victoria has not , Andrew's is sitting on a review to reform. Admittedly this wouldn't be first priority of any government. As for SA they are waiting for the interweb to be turned on.

MacMum, this is an issue close to my heart. I was abused by the notorious Ridsdale in 1982. The effects of that are still with me today and realistically always will be - there is no such thing as closure. I have lost a lot, virtually everything because of the psychological and behavioural effects the incident has had on me.

The reason the suppression order was put in place (by the prosecution - OPP) was to prevent Pell's legal team led by the notorious Robert Richter QC, from running an argument than Pell was unable to receive a fair trial due to the huge media focus. I attend a group session in Ballarat once a month, although I have never had the misfortune of encountering Pell in person, there are fella's in my group involved in the cases. This is a nightmare for them. I agreed with the suppression order because the last thing I want is someone to walk free because of a technicality. It doesn't have anything to do with him getting preferential treatment, it was done to ensure he can be prosecuted fairly and any verdict untainted by public opinion. I am sure there will be consequences as a result of this breach, I just hope George is not he beneficiary of it, that wouldn't be justice and that's all we are after.
Well said mate, it is a good day for justice.

Dear god. :'(

Thank you for explaining it all re the suppression order, I now see the reason, whereas before it came across as hiding his identity for who he was.

Don't be a stranger WR, you know you are part of our BL family....always will be. Have always enjoyed your posts, Cheers:)

(I've been saying for probably 30yrs that Pell gave me the creeps and looks like he's hiding something......and living up in Nth Central vic, rumours were always around. Hope he gets his whack. Would love to say a lot more, but better not)

(I've been saying for probably 30yrs that Pell gave me the creeps and looks like he's hiding something......and living up in Nth Central vic, rumours were always around. Hope he gets his whack. Would love to say a lot more, but better not)

I do think Pell is a divisive personality aside from anything else, so people tend to dislike him for that. If (and I hope following the next trial the suppression order is lifted so we get to know what's gone on) he is guilty then he deserves to have the book thrown at him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't an editorial I read, it was telling the story. I will look again as I didn't see the editorial.. However, if they have told the truth of what happened then I have no issue with it.

Why was a suppression order put in place? ..because he's famous? That imo, becomes one rule for us and one rule for the rich and famous.

If he is guilty of these charges then we and the world should know about it.

Firstly I am in no way a supporter of Pell, but the legal reality is that any accused should be protected from the danger their trial may be swayed by media coverage. the average Joe does not attract this attention therefore no suppression orders are usually necessary.
I agree with the suppression order in this case.

It would be a travesty if justice was skirted on the basis of a mistrial.

the legal reality is that any accused should be protected from the danger their trial may be swayed by media coverage. the average Joe does not attract this attention therefore no suppression orders are usually necessary.
I agree with the suppression order in this case.

It would be a travesty if justice was skirted on the basis of a mistrial.

I can understand a suppression order being issued to ensure a fair trial, but a suppression order on a conviction seems a bit beyond the normal process, the public already knew he was being charged due to the public way he was asked to return and the way he fronted the media and was followed by the media into the court at the start of the trial.

I can understand a suppression order being issued to ensure a fair trial, but a suppression order on a conviction seems a bit beyond the normal process, the public already knew he was being charged due to the public way he was asked to return and the way he fronted the media and was followed by the media into the court at the start of the trial.

I believe there’s another trial pending in March for other charges, so it’s largely based around protecting due process for that I’d guess.

From a pure justice perspective i wonder if Pell does himself no favours with his cold, aloof and superior manner.

That manner doesn't endear him to the public. The hatred displayed this board before the trial is evidence of that.

The word in legal circles last.week was that the case against Pell was considered flimsy. The judge by all accounts a tad surprised when the jury returned the guilty verdict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back