The Law Cardinal Pell

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pell does get rolled, Bolt et al will twist the story to make themselves the victims. Guaranteed.

I don't get this. Why would right-wing commentators get so tied up in defending the authority of the Church? It is not a political issue, there are many catholic ALP voters just as there are many L/NP voters. I can't see why they would make a political spin on this.

I don't get this. Why would right-wing commentators get so tied up in defending the authority of the Church? It is not a political issue, there are many catholic ALP voters just as there are many L/NP voters. I can't see why they would make a political spin on this.
I guess because Pell is their man, rather than the church per se. Pell is vocal on a range of issues - from climate change to gay marriage - that matches the broader right wing agenda.

George Pell's one of the most influential men at Vatican, an ex PM's spiritual adviser and was also employed by Rupert Murdoch, they're protecting the power base.

Bolt nailed his colours to the mast ages ago

So many allegations against Cardinal George Pell have been dropped and disproved, and police are still unable after a year to prosecute Pell over shaky claims aired on the ABC.

But now one of the ABC reporters responsible for that report tries again:

A soon-to-be-released book about Cardinal Pell contains detailed claims that he sexually abused two choirboys at St Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne in the late 1990s....

In her television report from last year, Milligan referred to allegations that Cardinal Pell had also been accused of abusing two choirboys, but the book contains details that have never before been made public.

The boys, who were both students at St Kevin's College in Toorak and sung in the choir at St Patrick's Cathedral in East Melbourne, were allegedly abused in a back room of the church.

Of course, I don't know whether the allegations are true or false.

But the timing of the alleged abuse - which Pell denies - is very odd. Is it really likely that Pell, having been under fiercely hostile scrutiny by the media over his conservatism and his attempts to clean out pedophiles in his church and compensate victims, would then risk everything by abusing boys himself?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/a...e/news-story/f8086fc49784c84783cd6c74f3f20509

Complete with "Bolt-logic" - that media scrutiny in 2017 would have influenced Pell's behavior as a young man.

I guess because Pell is their man, rather than the church per se. Pell is vocal on a range of issues - from climate change to gay marriage - that matches the broader right wing agenda.

I guess that vaguely makes sense.

Given that the ABC first aired the allegations against Pell they are almost obliged to take up a contrary position.

It's the best I could come up with but tbh I find it puzzling, too. Abbott, Pell, Monckton - Bolt has a habit of picking losers.
Isn't that just a side product of picking losing positions in his official role as contrarian? Only loser hold loser positions, so he's left discussing anti-gay marriage with the ex-wanna-be priest who thought he fathered a child out of wedlock that he didn't know about for 20 years, and an accused pedophile Cardinal, and when it comes to climate-change denial he has the ridiculous Monckton.

Just thinking of all the times I've been assured by righties that innocent people 'almost never' get charged with crimes.

I note his statement equivocates a little on whether he'll front up 'following advice from doctors' and 'as soon as possible'. Looking at it from a rhetorical point of view it seems like an attempt to establish that he really, really wants to come to Australia to clear his name.

For those wondering, Australia does not have an extradition arrangement with Vatican City. We do have one with Italy, however. Pope Francis could make him leave Vatican City.

I think he will end up back in Australia, it would be untenable to have him continue in his role at the Vatican with this hanging over him. This is something that will receive global attention.

Isn't that just a side product of picking losing positions in his official role as contrarian? Only loser hold loser positions, so he's left discussing anti-gay marriage with the ex-wanna-be priest who thought he fathered a child out of wedlock that he didn't know about for 20 years, and an accused pedophile Cardinal, and when it comes to climate-change denial he has the ridiculous Monckton.
Being consistently wrong must be the lot of a contrarian, but the ego must cop a battering. Which is why I reckon Bolt will spin this saga in a way that either paints him as the victim or casts blame onto his opponents.

No one poses as a victim quite like the white conservative.

Bolt not quite as emphatic is his defence now on Sky.

Already going with the " It's a vendetta against cathos " excuse

edit - than just says " because he's a treasurer he shouldn't have to step down...."

Pillock
Wait till the ABC start reporting it as headline news.

"AUSTRALIA’S most senior Catholic cleric Cardinal George Pell will tender his resignation to Pope Francis on Wednesday.

But this does not mean the controversial churchman, who has given evidence three times at the child abuse royal commission, will leave his job as the Vatican’s Prefect of the Secretariat for the Economy — Vatican treasurer — any time soon.

Protocols introduced by the Pope in 2014 oblige cardinals to present their resignations at 75, and Dr Pell reaches this age on June 8.

However, the Pope does not have to accept Dr Pell’s resignation. Observers say it is a high probability the Australian cardinal will stay on for another few years, given his crucial role in reforming the Vatican’s medieval financial structure."

http://www.news.com.au/national/con...n/news-story/d5c3803c01cee282ac7d9a6d0398f440

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 386891

The two Georges, Pell and Brandis seem to have little influence over our Victoria Police. :clapping::handok:

Miranda Devine in a fit of rage has lost her senses and made the perpetrators the victims with a bizarre hashtag #HuntingCatholics. Bolt and Abbott are probably curled up in the foetal position.
Devine's senses ceased to exist a long time ago.

Response from the Church will be the same as every other allegation

giphy.gif

Isn't Pell Abbott's hero?

He's already announced he's returning to Australia to face the charges.
He said he would return, "following advice and approval by his doctors who will also advise on his travel arrangements"

Given they "said" he couldn't' return last year for the hearings, there's very little chance we ever see him in Australia again.

Unless you think he's really eager to be jumping on a plane and rushing out here to public derision and ridicule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back