Remove this Banner Ad

DANGEROUS32

Senior List
Apr 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi everyone,

Firstly, thanks for your advice and help in advance.

I guess I'm really confused and have been somewhat lazy,unfocused and unsure with my career up-to date. I'm really lacking the know-how to get into the industry I have studied in and I believe the lack of work experience I have would lead me to being a spud in such a role.

A bit about myself: 22 years of age, have a degree in Business (Marketing), have nearly 10 years supermarket experience (4 years in a department 2IC role), have volunteered in the marketing landscape, but don't believe I have many hard-skills when it comes to applying what I've learned at uni to the industry I aim to work in (Marketing). My ultimate short-term career goal is to gain employment in a marketing position in the next 12-18 months. I have a steady work position already so I am limited to the amount of volunteering-interning-postgrad study I can complete.

I have applied for many graduate, entry-level marketing positions with no success. Even if I was offered a position I worry I would struggle in such a position (I'm pessimistic). I guess my first question is regarding internships and whether it's a good idea to collaborate with organisations whom I want to work with and intern (non-paid) for 1 day a week? Is it too cheeky to say something along the lines "I'd love to intern for you for 6 months (1 day a week), with a view for a permanent position"?

Other than internships how else would I gain the skills needed to get a position in the marketing industry? I think I already know the answer, but how would senior managers and HR view short courses in SEO, social media, etc. etc.?\

Lastly, have people used career practitioners/coaches before and would you recommend using them? A part of my problem is pinpointing exactly what I want to do in marketing.

I know this post is a bit scattered so I apologise LOL.

Cheers.

Hmm, I can have a go at answering some of this

I have applied for many graduate, entry-level marketing positions with no success.
My experience suggests that this is something which most graduates struggle with and usually boils down to doing one or two things consistently wrong during the application process. Personally, I was knocked back for close to one hundred grad jobs during my last year of uni and it wasn't until very late in the year that I finally had some success with my applications.

To fix these problems, I'd go right back to basics. Read over your resume; make sure it's concise and only contains information which employers will care about (not things like high school accolades or sporting achievements), try to relate your skills with experiences (instead of dot pointing "microsoft office experience", say "x years experience with office doing y") and consider adding something like a personal profile at the top of it which outlines what you aim to achieve in your career. Cover letters are also crucial to get right; don't fall into the trap of sending the same cover letter for each job. Make sure you write your cover letter by addressing all the key criterea which is given in the position description and make sure it's very company and position specific, ie. not something that you could send to a dozen other places with a few name changes here and there.

From what I understand about HR and recruiting, most applications will only get a glance so it's very important to convey to them that you're serious and you fully understand the role you're applying for. There are many grads who continue using the same, basic style of resume and cover letter which got them a part time job in high school, not realising that the standards are much higher for professions. I think it's the most common reason why many struggle to find employment initially.

Even if I was offered a position I worry I would struggle in such a position (I'm pessimistic).
It can be daunting, but there's no need to worry. Anybody advertising a grad position or similar will understand that they're employing somebody with minimal experience and will give you all the help you need. They will judge you on your effort and your willingness to learn, not your performance or output (until you get on your feet anyway).

I guess my first question is regarding internships and whether it's a good idea to collaborate with organisations whom I want to work with and intern (non-paid) for 1 day a week?
Absolutely. The old-fashioned door knocking with a resume might come in handy here; there's many small places out there with extra work that don't have the money to pay for a full time position, however they may just give you one or two days a week on a casual pay rate. Don't offer to work unpaid though; as if you're doing "productive" work for that position you'll be breaking the law and it mightn't be a good look for you to suggest it. You don't have to be that desperate ;)

Is it too cheeky to say something along the lines "I'd love to intern for you for 6 months (1 day a week), with a view for a permanent position"?
Not at all, although I'd make sure to clarify that you'd be happy to gain some experience there even if they don't offer you a permanent position.

Other than internships how else would I gain the skills needed to get a position in the marketing industry? I think I already know the answer, but how would senior managers and HR view short courses in SEO, social media, etc. etc.?\
At this stage of your career, anything on your resume is better than nothing.

Lastly, have people used career practitioners/coaches before and would you recommend using them? A part of my problem is pinpointing exactly what I want to do in marketing.
I'm not sure how helpful a career coach is as I've never used one or heard anything about them, however once you get your foot in the door you'll have a much clearer picture on where you want to work in marketing. When you're new to an industry is well, it's much easier to switch between streams than what it is when you're older, so don't stress about being in the "wrong" field because there's no such thing.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Hmm, I can have a go at answering some of this

My experience suggests that this is something which most graduates struggle with and usually boils down to doing one or two things consistently wrong during the application process. Personally, I was knocked back for close to one hundred grad jobs during my last year of uni and it wasn't until very late in the year that I finally had some success with my applications.

To fix these problems, I'd go right back to basics. Read over your resume; make sure it's concise and only contains information which employers will care about (not things like high school accolades or sporting achievements), try to relate your skills with experiences (instead of dot pointing "microsoft office experience", say "x years experience with office doing y") and consider adding something like a personal profile at the top of it which outlines what you aim to achieve in your career. Cover letters are also crucial to get right; don't fall into the trap of sending the same cover letter for each job. Make sure you write your cover letter by addressing all the key criterea which is given in the position description and make sure it's very company and position specific, ie. not something that you could send to a dozen other places with a few name changes here and there.

From what I understand about HR and recruiting, most applications will only get a glance so it's very important to convey to them that you're serious and you fully understand the role you're applying for. There are many grads who continue using the same, basic style of resume and cover letter which got them a part time job in high school, not realising that the standards are much higher for professions. I think it's the most common reason why many struggle to find employment initially.

It can be daunting, but there's no need to worry. Anybody advertising a grad position or similar will understand that they're employing somebody with minimal experience and will give you all the help you need. They will judge you on your effort and your willingness to learn, not your performance or output (until you get on your feet anyway).

Absolutely. The old-fashioned door knocking with a resume might come in handy here; there's many small places out there with extra work that don't have the money to pay for a full time position, however they may just give you one or two days a week on a casual pay rate. Don't offer to work unpaid though; as if you're doing "productive" work for that position you'll be breaking the law and it mightn't be a good look for you to suggest it. You don't have to be that desperate ;)

Not at all, although I'd make sure to clarify that you'd be happy to gain some experience there even if they don't offer you a permanent position.

At this stage of your career, anything on your resume is better than nothing.

I'm not sure how helpful a career coach is as I've never used one or heard anything about them, however once you get your foot in the door you'll have a much clearer picture on where you want to work in marketing. When you're new to an industry is well, it's much easier to switch between streams than what it is when you're older, so don't stress about being in the "wrong" field because there's no such thing.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Thank you so much _Swoon for taking your time to help me!

I am intrigued with the fact that you have said not to offer my services through an un-paid internship. Surely if it was legal and benefited both the intern and the company (intern learns the "tools-of-the-trade - company identifies whether they want to hire said intern) than it would be a good idea? I don't have to be that desperate..... but I am :p

Also I had never thought or heard of a summary of career goals mentioned in a resume. Has anybody else had done this with their resumes? Seems like a great idea!

Hi everyone,

I guess I'm really confused and have been somewhat lazy,unfocused and unsure with my career up-to date. I'm really lacking the know-how to get into the industry I have studied in and I believe the lack of work experience I have would lead me to being a spud in such a role.

A bit about myself: 22 years of age, have a degree in Business (Marketing), have nearly 10 years supermarket experience (4 years in a department 2IC role), have volunteered in the marketing landscape, but don't believe I have many hard-skills when it comes to applying what I've learned at uni to the industry I aim to work in (Marketing). My ultimate short-term career goal is to gain employment in a marketing position in the next 12-18 months. I have a steady work position already so I am limited to the amount of volunteering-interning-postgrad study I can complete.

I have applied for many graduate, entry-level marketing positions with no success. Even if I was offered a position I worry I would struggle in such a position (I'm pessimistic). I guess my first question is regarding internships and whether it's a good idea to collaborate with organisations whom I want to work with and intern (non-paid) for 1 day a week? Is it too cheeky to say something along the lines "I'd love to intern for you for 6 months (1 day a week), with a view for a permanent position"?

Cheers.

Just my 2c on what i bolded

you are only limited by yourself. don't fall into the trap of making excuses oh i cant to this because xyz. One of my good mates who's not the most financially set was working and not getting paid because his employer went broke but still went extra yards to volunteer at an AFL club to get more exp. he was basically working 2 jobs for no pay. because of his willingness he's now got a way better job because he picked up those valuable skills and had a good attitude. think long term, you do whatever it takes to make it work.

your pessimism and lack of confidence comes across to me as you looking for a softer ride. don't ever think you can get away with this with a serious employer. you just put your head down and get on with the job.

as for gaining the required skills? Uni often won't teach you the nuts and bolts but it is better to try and fail than never to have tried at all. You learn more on the job than anywhere else so throw yourself into it, there are no excuses.

at the very least you've set yourself some short term goals and I'm a big believer in doing this and/or having a vision. it helps create a pathway of where you want to go instead of muddling around.

EDIT: if you are looking to get yourself into the right mindset have a look into a guy called Jim Rohn. I listened to hours of his material and can honestly say he made a difference to the way i went about things i got career benefits as a result.

Just my 2c on what i bolded

you are only limited by yourself. don't fall into the trap of making excuses oh i cant to this because xyz. One of my good mates who's not the most financially set was working and not getting paid because his employer went broke but still went extra yards to volunteer at an AFL club to get more exp. he was basically working 2 jobs for no pay. because of his willingness he's now got a way better job because he picked up those valuable skills and had a good attitude. think long term, you do whatever it takes to make it work.

your pessimism and lack of confidence comes across to me as you looking for a softer ride. don't ever think you can get away with this with a serious employer. you just put your head down and get on with the job.

as for gaining the required skills? Uni often won't teach you the nuts and bolts but it is better to try and fail than never to have tried at all. You learn more on the job than anywhere else so throw yourself into it, there are no excuses.

at the very least you've set yourself some short term goals and I'm a big believer in doing this and/or having a vision. it helps create a pathway of where you want to go instead of muddling around.

EDIT: if you are looking to get yourself into the right mindset have a look into a guy called Jim Rohn. I listened to hours of his material and can honestly say he made a difference to the way i went about things i got career benefits as a result.

Thanks mate, it is appreciated!

Sorry for coming to this thread late but what area of marketing do you want to get into?

Unless you are a drop dead bombshell, don't consider promotional work. Essentially anywhere in Australia unless you just want to hand out stickers or have some stupid sign or costume on as your uniform.

Advertising, I would consider leaving Adelaide and move to Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. Unless you are going to go private and work for a small time advertising company, Adelaide isn't for you. You won't grab any national clients. I'm not knocking Adelaide or South Australia but Adelaide doesn't have a high demand on those operations controls who influence the marketing landscape. If you stay in Adelside, you might get some small time company hire you and give you the role of 'marketing' but all you will be doing in following the owner, CEO or CFO advice or lead.

Marketing is usually one of the first area of a budget that gets slashed in small markets as some CFO's have this chain of thought that its a sound cost cutting belief but it never leads to sales or the moving of your product. It only slows growth and delays demand. So, unless you have plans to open your own company or marketing company where you can control the strategic control, you need to move to the east coast of Australia.

Stick at it too. It can be such a pain getting a grad job but once you have the first one and start building some related skills it becomes very easy to move around (if you are good at your job).

It took me ages and countless resumes to even get an interview for a grad job, but the last time I wanted to move it literally took me 1 text message to get a (after a couple of interviews) a much higher paying and closer to home job, bypassing the idiotic HR process of one of the biggest companies in the world entirely (in terms of the recruitment phase).

My background was very similar to yours OP.

I got a gig in a grad program as a territory sales manager with a major supermarket supplier and have worked my way up from there. Degree + your 10 years supermarket experience make this the perfect pathway.

I know Procter & Gamble (pantene, oral b) are hiring grad territory managers in sydney and melbourne as we speak, should check it out. Let me know if you need any more information

Last edited:
My background was very similar to yours OP.

I got a gig in a grad program as a territory sales manager with a major supermarket supplier and have worked my way up from there. Degree + your 10 years supermarket experience make this the perfect pathway.

I know Procter & Gamble (pantene, oral b) are hiring grad territory managers in sydney and melbourne as we speak, should check it out. Let me know if you need any more information
Doesn't make you a good person does it ?

Lol get over yourself .
Advice to any newbies don't try to run your own business and get too big the Sharks will come swarming .
The deals have Been manipulated from the 70s .
5 gens of scum live on this continent .
Happy new year .
Etc xo

Hi everyone,

Cheers.
Where are you at now?
Pursuing the retail job is a very good move in the mean time if you can get higher up.

Where are you at now?
Pursuing the retail job is a very good move in the mean time if you can get higher up.

Very interesting to look back at my post six months ago. Late last year I was offered a full-time Sales Rep position for a well-known food manufacturer. I love this position and, whilst it wasn't necessarily what I studied for, there's incredible growth in the business and room for climbing the ranks. I get a feeling that I will always be involved in the retail/supermarket industry due to my extensive experience in this field.

I'd like to thank every one for their advice and wish every one the best of luck into the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back