Secondary Career Paths Involving Sport + Medicine?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bartel

All Australian
Minecraft
Dec 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Storm | Red Bull Racing | Everton
I'm heading into my final years of school and I'm still undecided on what path to take. I've always loved sport, and I've also always loved the idea of helping people and their health. Another factor to take in is that I've always been quite gifted in my schoolwork - good marks, positive results; so naturally I want a professional that rewards that and does pay well.

I need possible jobs that can take in all of these factors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did Health and Exercise Science at uni. Worked hard and got accredited as an Exercise Physiologist/Sports Scientist for ESSA. Doing this lets you do injury rehab and exercise physiology work. Tough industry to break into at the highest levels. Know a smart guy from uni who does the GPS tracking and ex phys work for the Eagles. Lots of luck and long hours study to get there.

In general exercise phys/sports scientist work is hard to get and it pays poorly. Youre limited to working at gyms or doing pre-employment medicals. Maybe vocational rehab which pays poorly and is very stressful.

But the degree I did also let me brach into teaching (by doing a grad dip education) and occupational health and safety (by doing a Diploma OHS). These careers pay better (especially OHS which I do now), and there is more chance of work.

Id say OHS is the way to go. Good pay. Massively growing industry.

Thanks for those words heaps mate.

Throughout my life I've always wanted to go into Medicine and then branch off into Paediatry. More and more in the last year people have been telling me I should do something involving sport, which is the reason for my dilemma.

Along with that I do need an occupation that pays well; one reason being I'm very hellbent on that type of stuff, mainly because I want to reward my family for the work they've put into my education. But of course I still want to do something I love.

Your advice will help bud, thanks again.

No worries mate, good luck with it all. If you can do medicine that would be amazing. That surely would open more doors than a simple sports science degree. A doctor for a sporting team would be a dream job! All the best with it.

I left school after year 11 and was able to get into SEDA and complete my Cert IV in Sport and Rec under the Cricket Victoria Sports Development Program. This year I'm completing my Diploma of Sport Development still with SEDA but under the Cricket Australia Sports Development Program. It's been awesome and the majority of people who complete their 2/3 years with SEDA are able to get into Uni and the majority got in Bachelor of Exercise Sport Science. I'm looking to get into that course or Bachelor of Sports Management.

Any recommendations of what I should do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back