TigerGar

Debutant
Mar 14, 2002
Melbourne
Other Teams
Richmond F.C.
Monday August 12, 08:19 PM

Richmond loses out on Carey
Wayne Carey has told AFL club Richmond its bid to lure him to Punt Rd has failed.

Carey was due to meet with the club on Monday night at the home of Tigers president Clinton Casey.

But the former Kangaroos skipper rang Richmond chief executive Mark Brayshaw to say his interest was elsewhere.

Carey went interstate to meet with Adelaide and Sydney officials and those two clubs are understood to be the frontrunners for his services.

"We still had a lot of things to discuss," Casey said of tonight's abandoned meeting.

"It was going to be a long way before any of our minds were made up."

The Tigers were hoping the prospect of forming a potent forward set-up with Matthew Richardson and Brad Ottens would entice Carey to Richmond.

In his first media interview for four months, Carey admitted last week he had told Richmond he would not go there if the Tigers offloaded Richardson.

Carey is on the market after he quit the Kangaroos in disgrace last March, when it was revealed he was having an affair with the wife of vice-captain and now skipper Anthony Stevens.

Richmond issued a media release late Monday afternoon announcing Carey's decision.

"I had a conversation with Wayne this afternoon and he explained his reasons, which will remain confidential," Brayshaw said in the statement.

"We understand the thinking behind his decision and wish him all the best for his football future."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good news and a big relief cause IMO we have fortunately avoided another mistake in recruiting. Our forward structure is ok, and our salary cap is at its brim.

North literally wanted a Kings Ransom for Carey(Our 2 early draft picks & a couple of Good youngsters), We would lose longterm for doubtful short-term success.

We need to use those early draft picks to focus on young recruits that could play a regulation 150 to 200 games for us, BUT with skill, speed, and hardness at the ball. Primarily mid-field and tall defender types.

I've been told from good authority, that he would not risk his reputation and rely on our horrendos midfield to feed him. Comments were, "you have DK, Rodgers & King, they have Mcleod, Riccuitto etc etc".

I really would like to here the real reason why he rejected our club. Obvoiusly he doesnt rate as at all. Is it our playing list or coaching panel, or both that is a turn off.

Originally posted by diggler
I really would like to here the real reason why he rejected our club. Obvoiusly he doesnt rate as at all. Is it our playing list or coaching panel, or both that is a turn off.

$$$$$$$$$$$ & salary cap :mad:
We can't afford him coz were still F****** paying for those duds
Daffy & Bourkey:mad:

Originally posted by diggler

As far as I'm concerned, Carey can far cough!!! I think he may have been scared of being shown up by a rampant Mad Cow!!! (Gotta love that nickname!)

I dont believe that Foxhat. If they really wanted Carey, I could name several non performers they could offload now. Rodgers in particular. However, not being privvy to his contract, we could be stuck with him until his contract is completed, because I doubt we could find a sucker to take it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back