Carey or Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, let's take 3 of Martin's 8 finals series away too while we're at it.

That’s the thing isn’t it, you have to take away 3 of them. But let’s not compare GASs finals resume to Dustys, Ablett wishes he had that.

He had two other more full finals series where he averaged four goals a match
And these INCLUDED his worst matches.

You’re too stupid for words mate.

How many was it, by the way, just to satisfy my interest?

Are you going to include the other finals series as well or what? No integrity and not what I asked for.

Are you going to include the other finals series as well or what? No integrity and not what I asked for.

How many finals series do you think he played - how many times do you have to be told this, seriously 😂😂😂😂

He didn’t play a final until 1989. He was the best player in the finals.

Geelong missed the finals the following season.

The cats played one final in 1991, the year he ‘unretired’ and came back midway through the season. Unsurprisingly, he played poorly, as he did most of that shortened season. He didn’t kick a goal.

In 1992 he kicked 16 goals and averaged 15 touches a game.

In 1993 we didn’t make the finals, so, um, yeah, what numbers do you want me to post. How many pigs he killed while Essendon were winning the flag?

In 1994 again he averaged 4 goals a game across four finals.

In 1995 he only played the prelim and the grand final, kicking 4 in the prelim before going goalless in the grand final

He only played one more final after that.

So yeah, ah, real ‘gotcha’ moment there again for you Falcon.

‘Oooh Ablett played three full finals series and averaged a minimum of 4 goals per game in all of them ra ra ra.’

In the only three ‘full’ finals series he played he kicked 59 goals in 12 games.

If you want to really stretch it and add in the two games from 95 you can make it 14 games and 63 goals and it’s still 4.5 goals a game. Above his career average from his 4 finals series.

Any other brain busters

How many finals series do you think he played - how many times do you have to be told this, seriously

He didn’t play a final until 1989. He was the best player in the finals.

Geelong missed the finals the following season.

The cats played one final in 1991, the year he ‘unretired’ and came back midway through the season. Unsurprisingly, he played poorly, as he did most of that shortened season. He didn’t kick a goal.

In 1992 he kicked 16 goals and averaged 15 touches a game.

In 1993 we didn’t make the finals, so, um, yeah, what numbers do you want me to post. How many pigs he killed while Essendon were winning the flag?

In 1994 again he averaged 4 goals a game across four finals.

In 1995 he only played the prelim and the grand final, kicking 4 in the prelim before going goalless in the grand final

He only played one more final after that.

So yeah, ah, real ‘gotcha’ moment there again for you Falcon.

‘Oooh Ablett played three full finals series and averaged a minimum of 4 goals per game in all of them ra ra ra.’

Ok then I’ll have to do it for you because you seem to be having a meltdown.

So taking out 89 these are his goal averages for each other finals series:

91: 0 goal average

92: 3.67 goal average

94: 4 goal average

95: 2 goal average

96: 1 goal average

So if you look at his finals SERIES goal average its per 2.13 goals per series.

Considering these finals are when he was a FF in the 1v1 era. It’s just average.

Last edited:

92: 4 goal average

94: 3.33 goal average

96: 0 goal average

So if you look at his finals SERIES goal average its per 1.87 goals per series.

Considering these finals are when he was a FF in the 1v1 era. It’s just average.

I’m sorry but a meltdown isn’t ’providing Statistical information that was requested by someone who lies awake at night and has to eat turkey and take melatonin to get a few hours sleep because of his obsession with a 25-years retired footballer.’

You seem to have a real issue with maths don’t you.

What is 6, plus 6, plus 3, plus 1?

By my reckoning, and all those that have come before me dating back to the likes of Archimedes and Pythagoras etc, it’s 16. When you divide that number by 4, it’s 4. So his average in 1994, was 4.

So if you want to start looking at goal averages in series by isolated games where one off games suddenly carry the weight of entire series, be my guest

I think you will find that your love affair with Dustin Martin and any remaining weight that your argument in his favour actually holds, diminishes pretty f**ken quickly.

Or we can look at the two Wayne Carey finals series where he averaged 0.5 goals per game over two matches or or where he averaged 0. Do you want to do that instead? We can if you like?

I like the part where you keep saying ‘taking out his 1989 goal average’ the best

And it’s just average hey, it’s why Dunstall has a lower finals goals per game record hey, because it’s just average hey. Like it’s just average.

I’m sorry but a meltdown isn’t ’providing Statistical information that was requested by someone who lies awake at night and has to eat turkey and take melatonin to get a few hours sleep because of his obsession with a 25-years retired footballer.’

You seem to have a real issue with maths don’t you.

What is 6, plus 6, plus 3, plus 1?

By my reckoning, and all those that have come before me dating back to the likes of Archimedes and Pythagoras etc, it’s 16. When you divide that number by 4, it’s 4. So his average in 1994, was 4.

So if you want to start looking at goal averages in series by isolated games where one off games suddenly carry the weight of entire series, be my guest

I think you will find that your love affair with Dustin Martin and any remaining weight that your argument in his favour actually holds, diminishes pretty f**ken quickly.

Or we can look at the two Wayne Carey finals series where he averaged 0.5 goals per game over two matches or or where he averaged 0. Do you want to do that instead? We can if you like?

I like the part where you keep saying ‘taking out his 1989 goal average’ the best

And it’s just average hey, it’s why Dunstall has a lower finals goals per game record hey, because it’s just average hey. Like it’s just average.

Yeah I revised it. You were too quick in your reply again. It’s a 2.13 goal per finals series average. It’s not bad but not great, hence why I don’t think you need to pump it up.

Carey is a CHF so goals aren’t comparable.

Yeah I revised it. You were too quick in your reply again. It’s a 2.13 goal per finals series average. It’s not bad but not great, hence why I don’t think you need to pump it up.

Carey is a CHF so goals aren’t comparable.

Right so his 6 touch 0 goal game was a starring performance. Marginally better than his starring 5 touch 0 goal game.

Good to know.

Gary Ayres award for Wayne.

They’re not comparable everybody.

Right so his 6 touch 0 goal game was a starring performance. Marginally better than his starring 5 touch 0 goal game.

Good to know.

Gary Ayres award for Wayne.

They’re not comparable everybody.

Well Carey did average 5 goals in the 94 finals series if you want to go there and he was a CHF not a FF.

Not looking good for Gary

Well Carey did average 5 goals in the 94 finals series if you want to go there and he was a CHF not a FF.

Not looking good for Gary

So?

They didn’t win which is automatically a disqualifier to it being of any value, for starters, secondly, how is it ‘not looking any good for Gary’?

What is that going to mean for Gary?

What is going to happen because of this turn of events?

So?

They didn’t win which is automatically a disqualifier to it being of any value, for starters, secondly, how is it ‘not looking any good for Gary’?

What is that going to mean for Gary?

What is going to happen because of this turn of events?

So what if they didn’t win? GAS’s norm was in a losing team and that was his best final. Want to disregard that too?

92: 3.67 goal average

94: 4 goal average

96: 1 goal average

So if you look at his finals SERIES goal average its per 2.13 goals per series.

16 finals and 64 goals is 4 goals per game average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what if they didn’t win? GAS’s norm was in a losing team and that was his best final. Want to disregard that too?

I couldn’t give two f**ks what you want to regard. You seem to be making up the ‘rules’ as you go.

I’ve recently read in another thread that the Coleman medal decides who the best forward is, and Carey never won one so this thread is moot. Ablett won three of them so we can close it.

16 finals and 64 goals is 4 goals per game average.

We took out 1989 and used a goals per finals series average rather than a goals per finals game average as we were talking about being a finals MVP.

As I said earlier he was the best finals player in just 1 series. Most of the time he got 2 or less average goals in a finals series. Which is pretty average.

Last edited:
I took out a fifth actually and that’s all it took to make him an average finals player.

No you didn’t. 1989 is four games. He played 16 finals. It’s a quarter.

There’s no whole number that is a fifth of 16 I’m sorry to tell you.

The fact that you had to remove anything to make someone an average finals player literally tells you that they are an above average finals player you idiot 😂

No you didn’t. 1989 is four games. He played 16 finals. It’s a quarter.

There’s no whole number that is a fifth of 16 I’m sorry to tell you.

The fact that you had to remove anything to make someone an average finals player literally tells you that they are an above average finals player you idiot

I took out a fifth of his finals series. That’s what we have been discussing this whole time. 🤦‍♂️

I took out a fifth of his finals series. That’s what we have been discussing this whole time. 🤦‍♂️

Which represents a quarter of his entire finals games, and you’ve used two seasons where he only played one solitary final, as a finals ‘series.’

No you’ve really enhanced your already sterling credibility on this forum immensely with this little exercise.

You really have.

You know should open up a consultancy business

We took out 1989 and used a goals per finals series average rather than a goals per finals game average as we were talking about being a finals MVP.

As I said earlier he was the best finals player in just 1 series. Most of the time he got 2 or less average goals in a finals series. Which is pretty average.

Ok. So take away whichever was Dusty's best finals series.

Fair ?

One will beat you around the room and the other will watch you O.D on his supply, its a tough one.

Ok. So take away whichever was Dusty's best finals series.

Fair ?

Ok, so he now has 2 finals MVPs and 2 norm smiths left. More than anybody else in the game. Ironically he’d still have the outright record and equal record of both respectively.

I rate Riewoldt very highly anyway and though it’s easy for me to say this because I have a closer memory of what happened in the game, all I think of when I look at the 09 GF and his performance in it, was a player absolutely busting himself but who got shut down for most of it by Harry Taylor.

Of the triumvirate that gets spoken about together often - Riewoldt, Pavlich and Brown - I still rate Riewoldt the highest (as a forward) whether they win those games or not.

Obviously yes it would have enhanced that someone if he clunked 3-4 marks and turned the tide.

Hawkins’ performances in ‘11 and ‘22 have probably enhanced his reputation I guess so it’s worth considering
Tredrea doesn’t get the respect he deserves. I acknowledge he didn’t have the longevity of Riewoldt and Pavlich. Realistically though his body was completely shot at 27. I often wonder if he just retired then if things would be viewed slightly differently now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back