Carey the stats accumulator

Remove this Banner Ad

He would be literally unbeatable in the current game. The main technique used to beat him would be a free kick 9/10 today and he was still smart enough and capable enough of working players over athletically and physically even with others dropping back. He would be even better today IMO.

You watch that video and probably 70% to 80% of contests should've been frees to Carey.

94 Prelim was arguably his greatest ever game IMO. We lost and he missed a couple he should of kicked but wow. He did it all that day. The shepherd on Mensch🤣

Not quite the same stakes but Round 17 in 1996 versus Melbourne is the best game I've seen by an individual player ever.

22 kicks, 15 marks, 9 handballs, 11 goals 2, 3 tackles.

Pretty sure 12 of those marks were contested and he probably had a least half a dozen goal assists.

Not quite the same stakes but Round 17 in 1996 versus Melbourne is the best game I've seen by an individual player ever.

22 kicks, 15 marks, 9 handballs, 11 goals 2, 3 tackles.

Pretty sure 12 of those marks were contested and he probably had a least half a dozen goal assists.
Cold friggen night that one, watching from the top of the Olympic Stand.

It was a truly amazing performance and you couldn't help but feel a little sorry for David Neitz having to head back to take him on after the trial of Shaun Smith as KPD failed miserably, only for Neitz to have his arse and dignity handed to him.

The utter look of defeat from Neitz at 7.56 says it all.

It was a truly amazing performance and you couldn't help but feel a little sorry for David Neitz having to head back to take him on after the trial of Shaun Smith as KPD failed miserably, only for Neitz to have his arse and dignity handed to him.

How good is his running pattern for the 7th goal when he contests at CHF, kicks Clarko in the head, and takes off in a big loop to 20 metres out? His work rate was as good as anyone's.

93 was the year when we really went bang and it was clear that North were a serious, looming threat. Longmire was still bagging goals, McAdam burst onto the scene and Carey was fulfilling his potential. The stretch of games from round 3 to round 10 was the most exciting and exhilarating run of games I have ever been witness to as a North supporter. And Carey was just a colossus.

Round 3 vs Geelong at Kardinia Park
NM 108 vs Gee 84
Carey: 11 kicks, 8 handballs, 10 marks and 2 goals

Round 4 vs Melbourne
NM 128 vs Mel 99
Carey: 14 kicks, 5 handballs, 9 marks, 7 goals 2 behinds

Round 5 vs Richmond
NM 159 vs Rich 122
Carey: 11 kicks, 7 handballs, 11 marks, 4 goals 4 behinds

Round 6 vs Sydney
NM 229 vs Syd 105
Carey: 12 kicks, 14 handballs, 8 marks, 3 goals 2 behinds

Round 7 vs Footscray
NM 141 vs Foots 110
Carey: 14 kicks, 6 handballs, 13 marks, 4 goals 1 behind (Stats don't do this game justice. He was utterly imperious)

Rounds 8 vs Adelaide @ AO
NM 121 vs Adel 123
Carey: 12 kicks, 5 handballs, 10 marks, 5 goals 3 behinds

Round 9 vs Carlton
NM 134 vs Car 96
Carey: 14 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks, 5 goals 3 behinds

Round 10 vs Collingwood (my favourite non GF game ever)
NM 126 vs Coll 43
Carey: 15 kicks, 8 handballs, 9 marks, 3 goals 4 behinds

Carey averaged 12.9 kicks, 7.5 handballs, 9.5 marks, 4.1 goals per game over this period. 20.4 disposals, almost 10 marks and 4 goals a game. Get the * out of here.

How good is his running pattern for the 7th goal when he contests at CHF, kicks Clarko in the head, and takes off in a big loop to 20 metres out? His work rate was as good as anyone's.
He was flawless as a footballer, and all this with limited shoulder rotation due to the nature of his reconstructions.

Last edited:
93 was the year when we really went bang and it was clear that North were a serious, looming threat. Longmire was still bagging goals, McAdam burst onto the scene and Carey was fulfilling his potential. The stretch of games from round 3 to round 10 was the most exciting and exhilarating run of games I have ever been witness to as a North supporter. And Carey was just a colossus.

NM 108 vs Gee 84

Round 4 vs Melbourne
NM 128 vs Mel 99

Round 5 vs Richmond
NM 159 vs Rich 122

Round 6 vs Sydney
NM 229 vs Syd 105

Round 7 vs Footscray
NM 141 vs Foots 110
Carey: 14 kicks, 6 handballs, 13 marks, 4 goals 1 behind (Stats don't do this game justice. He was utterly imperious)

NM 121 vs Adel 123

Round 9 vs Carlton
NM 134 vs Car 96

NM 126 vs Coll 43

Carey averaged 12.9 kicks, 7.5 handballs, 9.5 marks, 4.1 goals per game over this period. 20.4 disposals, almost 10 marks and 4 goals a game. Get the fu** out of here.

And only 7 Brownlow votes in that stretch. Get the * out of here!

You watch that video and probably 70% to 80% of contests should've been frees to Carey.
He would be literally unstoppable today, at least in contested situations. I reckon most of those contests should have been multiple free kicks to Carey, not just the odd one here and there

Carey is basically the reason we have intercepting defenders these days.

And only 7 Brownlow votes in that stretch. Get the fu** out of here!
In fairness he did have some competition, with McAdam and Longmire kicking bags during this stretch.

During this stretch he was 21 and turned 22 2 days before the Pies game. Basically the same age as Aaron Noughton.

A couple of things that stood out for me aside from Carey just humiliating whoever was playing on him in those contested marking sequences:
  • That passage from 2:35 is utterly ridiculous. He flies for a mark against 2 opposition, doesn't mark it (the only surprise in this passage), brings the ball to ground, accelerates immediately after landing from the marking contest to the ball, wins ball, beats an opponent by spinning, dodges another opponent with a ball fake, takes a bounce, and delivers a pinpoint pass to Sholl.
  • How good is the commentary? Basically every second word was a superlative describing Carey. I was surprised those superlatives weren't predominantly from McAvaney - every commentator was in awe.

A couple of things that stood out for me aside from Carey just humiliating whoever was playing on him in those contested marking sequences:
  • That passage from 2:35 is utterly ridiculous. He flies for a mark against 2 opposition, doesn't mark it (the only surprise in this passage), brings the ball to ground, accelerates immediately after landing from the marking contest to the ball, wins ball, beats an opponent by spinning, dodges another opponent with a ball fake, takes a bounce, and delivers a pinpoint pass to Sholl.
  • How good is the commentary? Basically every second word was a superlative describing Carey. I was surprised those superlatives weren't predominantly from McAvaney - every commentator was in awe.
Re the last part, that game was during the Atlanta Olympics and Bruce was over there. Channel 7 had Rex Hunt and a few others calling as fill ins.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Carey vs Jackovich matchup was always talked up and I believe pumped up Jackovich. The "93" final at Waverly park when Carey was carrying a injury into the game and the team, although properly the best in the comp for 16 weeks run out of gas and got smashed by the reigning premiership team was a real disappointment....

Next year in the return bout at the MCG North vs West Coke and Jacko, Carey had 17 kicks 15 marks 4 handball, 5 goals 3 in a team that lost by 37 points. This game showed it didn't matter who was playing on the king weather it was Langford, Jackovich or Silvangi if the king was on he's game he was going to dominate.

Carey was such a dominant player player in the big games such the as finals vs Hawthorne, Geelong, Richmond, Port Adelaide, Brisbane the only disappointing thing he never did it in a Granny although he was still fantastic. It is funny hearing people talk about the GOAT in the AFL because I don't think it is even close and never will be be.... Michael Jordan, Shane Warne and Wayne Carey the GOATS in the 90's and never will be beaten.

I love this game for several reasons:
* it was one of the Kings greatest ever games
* belted a hapless dees by 100+
* listening to Malcolm Blight commentate - you could here the enjoyment in calling the game and calling Waynes dominant display. It is a pleasure to listen to.

I love this game for several reasons:
* it was one of the Kings greatest ever games
* belted a hapless dees by 100+
* listening to Malcolm Blight commentate - you could here the enjoyment in calling the game and calling Waynes dominant display. It is a pleasure to listen to.
yeah. It sounds great.

...and Duncan Kellaway.
This was probably a free against Carey for "over the shoulder" ;-)

2fca40fa812a02320bef18eb9b91f2a0.jpg

NM 108 vs Gee 84

Round 4 vs Melbourne
NM 128 vs Mel 99

Round 5 vs Richmond
NM 159 vs Rich 122

Round 6 vs Sydney
NM 229 vs Syd 105

Round 7 vs Footscray
NM 141 vs Foots 110

NM 121 vs Adel 123

Round 9 vs Carlton
NM 134 vs Car 96

NM 126 vs Coll 43

Carey averaged 12.9 kicks, 7.5 handballs, 9.5 marks, 4.1 goals per game over this period. 20.4 disposals, almost 10 marks and 4 goals a game. Get the fu** out of here.

The Brownlow votes for these games ?

Was in the picture for the Norm Smith in 1996.

I think that's why it was disappointing - for Carey standards, we expected him to obliterate Dunkley and kick 5+ goals to be the indisputable Norm Smith medallist. However, I think this game also highlights how special he is, and to an extent this thread tries to highlight that Carey was such a multi-faceted player, that he will impact the game in other ways that other players simply couldn't, at least not consistently.

Carey racked up 22 "quiet" disposals, had 9 marks, and kicked a goal. When you watch the game though, check out how many goals involve him spilling the ball from a marking contest to advantage, pulling opposition players away from his teammates, creating "chaos" ball situations that the forwards like Allison and Freeborn preyed on, etc. Again, if goal assists were recorded back then, he would have had a few. I could be wrong, but I think he was top 3 in Norm Smith voting.

In basketball, there's a concept called a players "gravity" that pulls opposition players in or out that directly benefit the player's teammates. There's also the concept of "hockey assists" that aren't the last possession leading up to the goal scoring shot, but the second or third last play that leads up to the assist. Carey would be the king of both concepts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back