Carey To Play In Wizard Cup Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Jars458
But if I rang him and he told me, and then I told you.......

I would have to kill you:D

It might be worth it actually...

Originally posted by Jars458
Yes and anyone else that reads it

What are you all doing for lunch??:D

Oh dear.

I thought the deal was:

You ring Phil.

Phil tells you.

You tell us.

You kill Stiffy.

All these extra killings are just being greedy.

I'm glad I'm in Sydney.

Originally posted by napsyd
Oh dear.

I thought the deal was:

You ring Phil.

Phil tells you.

You tell us.

You kill Stiffy.

All these extra killings are just being greedy.

I'm glad I'm in Sydney.

My understanding of the deal exactly!! A deal's a deal!!

Bye Bye Stiffy!!!:D

Originally posted by noddy
Ah!! but is Stiffy expendable??? ;)

Since he hasn't posted on here for nearly two hours (a record you'd think) jars458 must have dealt with him already. :(

It would be good to see Carey play. I posted a while ago that Carey would be lucky to play by rd 1, the chances were he'd miss the 1st couple of games due to his hammy / back. If he plays i hope he at least gets a kick but i also hope he doesnt do well. It will be a big risk to play him, back related hammy's are not the easiest thing to get over. He should take the extra 2 weeks off as others have posted.
I dread to think what will happen to Welsh and Stevens now that Carey is in the side. Will he push one or both out again? What about Perrie?

Originally posted by CAAS
It would be good to see Carey play. I posted a while ago that Carey would be lucky to play by rd 1, the chances were he'd miss the 1st couple of games due to his hammy / back. If he plays i hope he at least gets a kick but i also hope he doesnt do well. It will be a big risk to play him, back related hammy's are not the easiest thing to get over. He should take the extra 2 weeks off as others have posted.
I dread to think what will happen to Welsh and Stevens now that Carey is in the side. Will he push one or both out again? What about Perrie?

Still crossing your fingers that Carey won't be playing?

On your real question - there is zero chance that Stevens would be dropped out of the side to make way for Carey. The other way around is more likely.

Welsh is an automatic inclusion if fully fit.

I can't see any reason at all to leave out Perrie, who would surely be leading the AFL goalkicking in 2003 at the moment.

Those under threat in the forward line would be Burns & Burton.

I doubt if he will play. I suspect it is just a ruse to give the Pies brains trust something to think about.

But if he does play, play him in the goalsquare and force Collingwood to put their best defender on him. He might struggle first game back but he will do his job by tying up the best Collingwood defender.

Leaves the way clear for the highly talented but hugely underrated Stevens to do his usual job, Perrie to run around and and on last weeks showing mark and (sadly for us North supporters) slot a few. Maybe Ronnie Burns can lurk in a pocket and pick up some handy crumbs as well.

Should be a very interesting game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by macca23
The most worrrying comment in Rucci's article is the following

It is a Rucci article. I would'nt be too worried, he likes to put his own little spin on things.

Jerome

Originally posted by napsyd
Since he hasn't posted on here for nearly two hours (a record you'd think) jars458 must have dealt with him already. :(

Managed to get away fro Jars today. Had to hide in a lecture theatre, so I couldn't post.:D

Don't tell Jars where I have been hiding;)

Originally posted by maccas_no1

Time to put a few crictics back down the holes they crawled out of :D :D Michaelangelo Rucci would be one:rolleyes:

I think you're jumping the gun. Carey has not played yet.

If we're going to have a shot at someone, save it for a better time when we have a bit more ammo.

Jerome

Originally posted by CAAS
It would be good to see Carey play. I posted a while ago that Carey would be lucky to play by rd 1, the chances were he'd miss the 1st couple of games due to his hammy / back.

Carey was given 3-4 weeks off after the norwood game to go through a program that will have him ready after that time. If you did your maths you would have found out that today is exactly a month since Carey played against the redlegs. Carey has gone through the program, has trained with the main group this week as well as doing some one on one physical competitive drill with the coaching staff. He did had a half an hour session the other day where he kicked his set shots from some 55 meters out from goal and he showed no discomfort. He was kicking the ball his normal distance and has pulled up OK after each of these workouts. He also trained today and if he pulls up OK tommorrow, which he should, he will play.

Bottom line is he will play but I doubt he will have a great impact on the game. He will only play a half or so.;)

Originally posted by Stiffy_18

Bottom line is he will play but I doubt he will have a great impact on the game. He will only play a half or so.;)

I'm on record several times that I don't think they should play him. If they must then it should be from the forward pocket slipping in behind Perrie as he leads out!

Originally posted by macca23
I'm on record several times that I don't think they should play him. If they must then it should be from the forward pocket slipping in behind Perrie as he leads out!

Mate if there is slightest of doubt about his fitness then I say do noplay him but if he is fit and ocompletely over his injuries then we should play him. What is there to be achieved if he doesn't play when in actual fact he is fit to play??????

From realfooty.com.au...Dermie Does Wayne...

Public enemy No. 1 will thrive on the jeers
By Dermott Brereton
March 15 2003

For almost as long as he's played in the AFL, Wayne Carey has been vilified by footy crowds. Now, with everything that's gone on in the past 12 months, he'll be public enemy No. 1 and Darth Vader rolled into one.

Carey's arrogance, confidence and supreme ability have always got people going in the past.

Now, rightly or wrongly, he's going to be seen as a bad person - morally - as well.

The greatest players who've performed with a bit of gusto have always raised the ire of opposition supporters. Carey has played that way from day one, and that's why he's been so reviled.

In my time in football, there have been only three or four players who've exuded such confidence. Leigh Matthews went about things in his quiet, assured way, Gary Ablett had an unwavering confidence in his ability, but Carey surpasses them both in that regard.

If he takes the field in the Wizard Cup grand final against Collingwood tonight, Carey will be booed and jeered every time he goes near the ball. But it will be water off a duck's back. He'll love it and thrive on it.

Will he be sledged by his opponents? I doubt whether Mick Malthouse would do anything to take advantage of the situation. And among the players, believe it or not, there's an unwritten code of honour. You've got to earn the right to insult a legend. Even your teammates would look at you strangely if you insulted one of the greatest of all time without having earned the right to.

Probably only Glenn Archer, his former teammate at the Kangaroos, will attempt to get into his face because Archer has earned the right, and he'll still be unhappy that Carey lied to him about the whole fiasco. That would have been a major insult to him.

Carey won't be at his best after a year out of the game. He's really only played a small part in two practice matches so far.

But if his hand and foot skills are not up to scratch straightaway, they will only take one or two games to get right.

For Adelaide, his return is a big boost. He has the ability to make teammates in his direct vicinity play above themselves.

Because of his aura, he retains the ability to get into the head of the opposition and mentally dominate them. It does not matter if he's on one leg, they will always fear him.

But, having said that, there will be concerns nagging away at Adelaide officials.

Every key-position player who has ever suffered a spate of soft-tissue and structural injuries comes back a diminished competitor. There's never been a key-position player who's bucked that trend.

I doubt whether we'll ever see Carey produce the mobility and pace that he had. He will be slower, have less spring in his step and less mobility. So he'll need to adapt the way he plays. He'll have to be more cunning and street smart to cover for those inadequacies.

A realistic target for Carey this year would be to play about 14 games. But it will be his first one, tonight, that creates by far the most interest and attention.

Kane,

I can't confirm exactly who we have taken across but Carey is definatley going.

He was interviewed at the airport today and it was broadcast on 5AA this morning. He is certainly talking like a man who will be playing. He's very keen to do as much as he can and see the Crows win tonight.

Good luck Wayne!

GO CROWS!

Jerome

A solid game. I think nerves and lack of match fitnesses made him rush his first couple of touches. He did the team thing and tried to pass off to a teammate.

However after he kicked that first goal, the confidence was starting to come back and he looked dangerous. I like him down there!! the second goal was sensational!! Well done Wayne.

Jerome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back