Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows, Centrals
From realfooty.com.au

Carey might take the long road back
By Alan Shiell
Adelaide
March 07 2003

Wayne Carey might have to return to the AFL via North Adelaide, the SANFL club with which he played at under-17 level before he joined North Melbourne in the late 1980s.

Carey, recovering from a back-related hamstring injury, will miss his third straight match tomorrow night - Adelaide's Wizard Cup semi-final against the Kangaroos at AAMI Stadium.

The Kangaroos' former dual premiership captain has played only the first halves of two practice matches for the Crows - an intraclub trial at Mount Gambier on February 7 and against SANFL club Norwood under lights on February 14.

Carey, 32 in May, is listed by Adelaide as being a week away from playing again. If he is fit enough to resume next week, and Adelaide beats the Roos tomorrow night, the Crows' match committee will have to decide whether to risk him in at least part of the hurly-burly of the cup grand final the following Saturday night or give him some game time with North Adelaide.

North (the Roosters) play a practice match that day against Glenelg at the Crows' training venue, next to AAMI Stadium.

If Adelaide loses to the Roos tomorrow night, it will play a practice match against another AFL club at a country venue tomorrow week, and Carey might well have a run in it.

But if Adelaide continues to err on the side of caution with Carey's fitness and comeback, he might be held back until Saturday, March 22, when the Crows will not be engaged - but North Adelaide will play a 10.30am intraclub trial at Prospect Oval.

Adelaide communications manager Phil Harper confirmed yesterday that Carey playing for North Adelaide was a realistic option before the Crows' round-one clash with Fremantle in Adelaide on March 30.

"The original assessment was that Wayne would be ready to play on March 22, but he's probably going a bit better than that and he's a chance to play next week," Harper said.

"If he's right, that's when he'll play - with us or with North Adelaide. Or if he's not right until March 22, he'll play for North Adelaide."

The Crows are similarly placed with their captain, Mark Ricciuto, who has had an ankle injury and is nearly fit.

I say we should make the most of the 6 on the bench in the Wiz cup. Play him for 10 mintues in the 3rd quarter, get some of the **** out of the way and let the club get on with it's business.

He doesn't have to touch the ball. Just walk on the ground in front of all the Vic TV watchers and you half the drama of round 6.

Originally posted by macca23
Take no chances is the way I would go - half a game with North on the 22nd.

I'd rather he played for us underdone than not at all.

I think that would be the most sensible option from the club. Extra week cannot hurt him it can only help. Playing for a half on 22nd with North and then if he comes up fine, line him up at FF against freo in a weeks time.;)

Cotton wool has to come off sooner or later I say if we win tonight he should play next week in the Wok Cup Final,like stiffy said give him a run in the third quarter let him boot three at full forward and then take him off:D If he pulls up alright let him play with the Roosters the week after also:D

If we go thru after tonight we'd have to play him next week (if hes fit)
Doesnt have to do a lot in a game to tilt it our way and even though its only a Wok, Footy Park'd be sold out at the prospect of him playing and starring but thats a long way off yet :eek:

Just do it Wayne!

Wedgie from The Roost informs me that Mr Carey was down at Noarlunga yesterday checking out the Roosters V Panthers match. The Roosters got belted so that may influence the Crows thinking and they'll play him at AFC (which is exactly what they should do IMO).

Jerome

Originally posted by dyertribe
When you see him swagger onto Football Park to dismember your boys I'll give you a nudge...

I think he will be well covered..... the Crows have Bigger threats than Wayne Carey. He will not be the game breaker that particular day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back