Rumour Carey v. Stevens II : The long awaited rematch

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as no money makes people very unhappy, rich people can be deeply unhappy too.
Yep look at robin williams and others taking their own life.
Also a lot of millionaires have come from nothing and earned every cent they’ve made and are amazing people.
To have no empathy because of their bank balance is very narrow minded

Apparently under Blightly, he was allowed to skip training when he felt like it, something Gary Ayres tried to put a stop to when he became coach in 1995, which put the two at loggerheads (so I heard)
Blight probably recognised a fellow loose unit genius, and Ayres was a recent rival he'd played against. Would've been weird to have a bloke with such a mullet telling him how to get better when he probably still averaged six goals a game. His son would show him what a better work ethic can bring however.

As much as no money makes people very unhappy, rich people can be deeply unhappy too.
Yep look at robin williams and others taking their own life.
Also a lot of millionaires have come from nothing and earned every cent they’ve made and are amazing people.
To have no empathy because of their bank balance is very narrow minded
Broad statements can always seem obtuse and examples to counter such statements are always at hand. But there has been many a clinical/university study linking increases in personal wealth creates decreases in compassion and empathy.
Also using Robin Williams as an example in itself is pretty narrow minded, he severely suffered from Lewy Body Dimentia, you should look it up!

Last edited:
He’s actually a nice story of how you can turn your life around and become a better person. Not everyone has the easiest upbringing and if you don’t seek the right type of help that bleeds into your early years as an adult. I think it’s important that some people have examples like Carey who have gone down a bad path, and still managed to turn their life around.
Redemption is available to all or none. And you redeem yourself with no supporting vote required. The external judgements are vaccuous.

Definitely a beat up but how annoying does Carey sound complaining to Stevens about his mental health issues resulting from ******* Stevens wife.

Stevens probably isn’t the person he should be complaining to.

But for all the idea that ‘it’s karma’ - and I guess it is - it absolutely destroys your mental health if you don’t deal with it properly.

You can be anything short of a sex offender basically and people will forgive you or give you the ‘well you have done more good than bad’ benefit of the doubt but if you have an affair particularly with someone who is involved with a friend or family member, no amount of good that you did prior or afterwards ever shakes that stigma. Even when that stigma is gone as far as other people go, it still exists in your own mind.
Even tonight I went to parent teacher interviews with my ex-wife and I basically spent each interview thinking ‘this teacher knows our kids are from a broken family so they probably know what I did, I’ll just sit here silently and nod.’
For someone like Carey, the guilt he would have felt naturally with what happened, multiplied by the fact that everyone in australia knew about it: that would take a toll.

And yeah he’s done other s**t things and he’s still somehow landed a tv gig but unless he is a robot, he would have a hard time making a solitary media appearance where in the back of his mind he’s not thinking ‘I wonder if they’ll all be thinking about what I did.’

For the victim based on what I’ve been told by a few counsellors and my ex as well, while they do go through stages of ‘what did I do wrong to deserve this, why wasn’t I enough?’ they do often relatively quickly if they’re getting the right help, get to the point of going ‘ok that really hurt and I won’t forget the hurt but I know I didn’t play a role in it as such, I have nothing to feel guilty about, nothing that I have broken personally’ so they are able to move forward easier.

That doesn’t mean they aren’t the primary victim: of course they are. The hurt my wife must have felt in that moment that she found out, I cannot imagine. I will never ever truly forgive myself for putting her through that pain.

But yes I think in many cases the hurt the innocent party goes through can be healed. Guilt sometimes can’t.

Stevens probably isn’t the person he should be complaining to.

But for all the idea that ‘it’s karma’ - and I guess it is - it absolutely destroys your mental health if you don’t deal with it properly.

You can be anything short of a sex offender basically and people will forgive you or give you the ‘well you have done more good than bad’ benefit of the doubt but if you have an affair particularly with someone who is involved with a friend or family member, no amount of good that you did prior or afterwards ever shakes that stigma. Even when that stigma is gone as far as other people go, it still exists in your own mind.
Even tonight I went to parent teacher interviews with my ex-wife and I basically spent each interview thinking ‘this teacher knows our kids are from a broken family so they probably know what I did, I’ll just sit here silently and nod.’
For someone like Carey, the guilt he would have felt naturally with what happened, multiplied by the fact that everyone in australia knew about it: that would take a toll.

And yeah he’s done other s**t things and he’s still somehow landed a tv gig but unless he is a robot, he would have a hard time making a solitary media appearance where in the back of his mind he’s not thinking ‘I wonder if they’ll all be thinking about what I did.’

For the victim based on what I’ve been told by a few counsellors and my ex as well, while they do go through stages of ‘what did I do wrong to deserve this, why wasn’t I enough?’ they do often relatively quickly if they’re getting the right help, get to the point of going ‘ok that really hurt and I won’t forget the hurt but I know I didn’t play a role in it as such, I have nothing to feel guilty about, nothing that I have broken personally’ so they are able to move forward easier.

That doesn’t mean they aren’t the primary victim: of course they are. The hurt my wife must have felt in that moment that she found out, I cannot imagine. I will never ever truly forgive myself for putting her through that pain.

But yes I think in many cases the hurt the innocent party goes through can be healed. Guilt sometimes can’t.

Sorry but I disagree withthe ‘thinking about what I did’

His ‘type’ have agreat capacity to over-ride personal feelings of guilt - either

- through self-conviction that it somehow reflects far more on Kelli as a ‘S/#$t‘ or Stevens as an inadequate husband and it was going to happen with someone.....

or

- his level of self obsession is at narcissistic levels...and he struggles to believe anyone could really hate him....and in fact it was expected of him to ‘slay the dragon’.

Carey gives his version of events.

• No blows happened.
  • Had a beer with Stevens and left together.
  • Spoke to Archer and King (and heaps of others close to Stevens) as to why Stevens wasnt in the pre-match motorcade, it was apparently because Stevens wasn't feeling well after the 'big' night before.
  • Calls Sam Edmund a 'dill', exaggerating the events and affecting his daughters and Stevens's daughters.
  • The altercation was that he said to Stevens that he was worried about him, and Stevens took umbrage to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In October last year Kelli, who dubs herself ‘the firecracker biohacker’, says she found joy in digital online platforms.
Surely one of the greatest single sentences ever written.

Oscar Wilde would be envious.

How long does Wayne Carey have to persecuted? Another 20 years?
Stephens needs to grow the fck up and Archer should apologize to Wayne for 20 years of toxic masculinity.
You’re right, he probably cops it too much for doing something that was, although unethical, ultimately an issue that should be resolved between the individuals involved. However he doesn’t cop it enough for the sexual assault, glassing, and assault of police officers, so swings and roundabouts ya know.

Sorry but I disagree withthe ‘thinking about what I did’

His ‘type’ have agreat capacity to over-ride personal feelings of guilt - either

- through self-conviction that it somehow reflects far more on Kelli as a ‘S/#$t‘ or Stevens as an inadequate husband and it was going to happen with someone.....

or

- his level of self obsession is at narcissistic levels...and he struggles to believe anyone could really hate him....and in fact it was expected of him to ‘slay the dragon’.

These are possibilities but unless you know him personally you can’t know that, either.

Having an affair is not the same as murder and no one talks about what Jake Stringer did anymore.
yeah for some reason people seem to excuse footballers going after school girls

Stringer's actions were completely ****ed, but it's not really relevant to a discussion on Carey is it, whose actions have also been ****ed and he's got quite a long catalog of said actions

yeah for some reason people seem to excuse footballers going after school girls

Stringer's actions were completely *ed, but it's not really relevant to a discussion on Carey is it, whose actions have also been *ed and he's got quite a long catalog of said actions
Stringer isn’t exactly well liked by opposition supporters, in large part due to those rumours*, I guess the difference is his situation didn’t play out as publicly as Carey’s therefore isn’t brought up by the media as regularly.

*I say rumours as I don’t know if it was ever confirmed even though I’m 99% sure it’s true.

The parties involved have all moved on. The gutter dwellers that are most footy journalists are the ones who have not

I agree with your second point

But the North reunions will always have that tension, Stevo didn't attend the motorcade.

I find that incredibly sad - that was a high quality team over many years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back