Carey vs North in 2003

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watching old highlights from YouTube I came across the night Wayne Carey played North the first time after exiting the club in 2003. The tension in the air that night was something else. What are your memories of this game as a neutral? Were you in attendance?

Yeah truly amazing that the king of footy got more headlines...
Takes two to tango.
argentine tango jonathan saavedra GIF by 030tango

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big build up and then nothing really happened.

I remember watching it and it feeling pretty yuck and tacky. I mean, nobody wants to see what happened to Stevens, and it was just kinda all the ugliness playing out in front of cameras like some sort of s**t cheap soap opera.

I’m sure in Stevens’ situation you’d just want to hide from the world and get on with your life, he had to confront it on live TV.

Humiliating for all involved and just a picture of how a successful and close group of colleagues now despised each other with all their being.

Just sadness. That group of players grew up together from U19 days, and were close off field too. Made the betrayal even worse.

But as a supporter, we knew it would never be the same. Same for the players too. Reunions are always an issue - they are meant to be celebrated, but the media will always report about the incident which sours them.

On the night, we kinda hoped Carey would get decked, but the actual game was a fizzer.

Just sadness. That group of players grew up together from U19 days, and were close off field too. Made the betrayal even worse.

But as a supporter, we knew it would never be the same. Same for the players too. Reunions are always an issue - they are meant to be celebrated, but the media will always report about the incident which sours them.

On the night, we kinda hoped Carey would get decked, but the actual game was a fizzer.

and it was only a few weeks ago that Carey was gloating about the affair so he clearly feels no guilt over it.

and it was only a few weeks ago that Carey was gloating about the affair so he clearly feels no guilt over it.

I assume that’s a reference to his ‘3 times’ comment on Twitter.

I don’t know that that is a definitive boast.
For starters his first response to someone bringing it up was “really?”
So he was obviously drawing attention to the fact that it didn’t need to be said and it’s not like he’s not aware of his past mistakes.

There’s many many different ways his comment could be taken:

‘Yes, three times - we all know what happened. Please remind us again because it hasn’t been discussed enough.’

‘I slept with my teammate’s wife three times. I have acknowledged and paid for it.’

‘Yes three whole times.’

I assume that’s a reference to his ‘3 times’ comment on Twitter.

I don’t know that that is a definitive boast.
For starters his first response to someone bringing it up was “really?”
So he was obviously drawing attention to the fact that it didn’t need to be said and it’s not like he’s not aware of his past mistakes.

There’s many many different ways his comment could be taken:

‘Yes, three times - we all know what happened. Please remind us again because it hasn’t been discussed enough.’

‘I slept with my teammate’s wife three times. I have acknowledged and paid for it.’

‘Yes three whole times.’

Yes it is in reference to that tweet, and to me it definitely felt like a brag. You don't give the exact number if you feel guilty it happened at all.

Yes it is in reference to that tweet, and to me it definitely felt like a brag. You don't give the exact number if you feel guilty it happened at all.

My ex wife posted stuff on social media about my indiscretions long after it should have been dealt with and out of public consumption especially for the sake of our kids. I wasn’t sure how to handle it so I handled it head on and said something like ‘yes, we all know what happened. Everyone does and everyone will continue to hear about it as long as you keep sharing it, and as therapeutic as it may be for you, it’s not for the other people who were impacted by what I did. We all know what I did. I cheated, multiple times, and broke up our family, and someone else’s as well. Making it public consumption every time you are struggling to deal with the fallout from it is not going to fix what has happened.’

I dunno I tend to not think Carey is boasting on this occasion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back