Carji Greeves (Best and Fairest) - Thursday 5th October

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if its mentioned elsewhere, but this is Dangers 3rd consecutive b&f, after winning it at the Crows in 2015, and then with us the past 2 years - that's a fair achievement

Not great to see 2 back pocket players poll ahead of

Motlop
Menzel
Blicavs
Hawkins
Guthrie

Fair enough. But the reasons for it are pretty clear.

Mots - fairly mediocre season, even by his too often indifferent standards.
Menz - kicked enough goals but clearly didn't achieve everything the coaches were looking for without the ball. And missed enough games to be outpolled by those who went around every week.
Blitz - had a very indifferent patch in his year before restoring some lustre late on.
Hawk - perhaps doesn't get enough credit for his almost single-handed efforts to carry the forward line but certainly had some quiet games in amongst some really solid performances.
Guth - both injury and being asked to perform many diferent roles in the side hampered his output significantly.

By contrast, Jedda and Stewart were given specific and consistent roles within the team and mostly fulfilled them very effectively right through the season. That continuity is one part of the Tiger template that I believe we could definitely do with adopting in our planning for 2018.

Not great to see 2 back pocket players poll ahead of

Motlop
Menzel
Blicavs
Hawkins
Guthrie

Games played -
Menzel: 19
Blicavs: 20
Guthrie: 20

And remember that Blicavs & Guthrie both got injured during matches.

For this who play less than 21 games it's hard to compete again those who have played that many or more, because they can't drop their low scoring games. So those 3 guys are already a couple ofgames behind other players - and when you consider how close it was for positions 5 to 10, you can see how missing those few games can hurt.

Fair enough. But the reasons for it are pretty clear.

Mots - fairly mediocre season, even by his too often indifferent standards.
Menz - kicked enough goals but clearly didn't achieve everything the coaches were looking for without the ball. And missed enough games to be outpolled by those who went around every week.
Blitz - had a very indifferent patch in his year before restoring some lustre late on.
Hawk - perhaps doesn't get enough credit for his efforts but certainly had some quiet games in amongst some really solid performances.
Guth - both injury and being asked to perform many diferent roles in the side hampered his output significantly.

By contrast, Jedda and Stewart were given specific and consistent roles within the team and mostly fulfilled them very effectively right through the season. That continuity is one part of the Tiger template that I believe we could definitely do with adopting in our planning for 2018.

Even so, there's around $2.5m p.a of wages there

Even so, there's around $2.5m p.a of wages there

I agree that these players all had disappointing years in one way or another. Which is why we may well not see a couple of them in the hoops again.

I was simply commenting on how the story of their respective seasons seemed to fit with their ranking outside the top ten for this year's Carji.

If you'd asked me before tonight which ones would have been top ten in the B&F, I would only have seen Tomahawk as a possibility. But even that would have seemed like a stretch.

Happy to see Smith and Bews in top 10. Well deserved.
Stewart had a great impact, as did Tuohy.
Glad that Danger finished where he belongs.
If only SS could play more games- his ranking is 4th.

Next year will be very telling for Scoots.

If he can't get a good run at it throughout 2018, even I will pack in the view that he can establish some real durability to play footy week in, week out for the hoops.

In the end, his best is clearly good enough to make a massive difference to how we set up around the ball against the best midfield groups across the comp.

We are deeper than our own supporters think.

I'm particularly pleased for Stewart, Menegola, Bews and Kolo.

They've had very good seasons and have been maligned at times.

Scooter is a quality player, just below the top tier in this league.

If he had Joel's durability he would have won 2-3 B&F's with West Coast and if he hadn't been noncommittal with West Coast for 2 seasons (wanting to play for Geelong) then he would have been their Captain over Hurn.

I really admire a player in the mould of Scott Selwood or Tom Stewart.

They are often overlooked but win you premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 425022

Clearly Bews, Kolo and Scooter had better seasons than their finish suggests.
Did notice Kolo polling well in the games he was on the wing.
Interesting to note that despite playing 19 games and kicking 40 goals Menzel didn't make the top 20

I'm a little confused, yeah Danger absolutely should have won it. (I love Sel, that won't change)

The announcement was that A.Lord was presenting, C. Scott steps fwd and gets the job done.

Look I don't care, what I want is the best for our club, go Cats.
It was Lord who presented him the medal - maybe Scott presented him the trophy:

2E893F29-D11C-4E4A-8DE2-D4BA0223AFEF.jpeg

View attachment 425022

Clearly Bews, Kolo and Scooter had better seasons than their finish suggests.
Did notice Kolo polling well in the games he was on the wing.
From that I reckon Hendo is being a little under appreciated.
Geez, they certainly didn't rate Menzel's second half of the year. He was top 10 at round 11, then apparently was outside the top 20 at the end of the year.

Did miss a fair few games in that period though, to be fair.
Well he did kick 25 goals through the first 11 games of the year but only 13 in the final 11, so really if he's not kicking goals he offer nothing else at all to the team. In 15/19 games he got 1 tackle or less.

catempire

Stewart top 5 in Year 1.

Come on... give us one.. just a little one.... " he's alllllllllllllllllllll right. :D

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back