MVP Carji Greeves Medal 2018 - Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

Better than the view you would have got a couple of years earlier...
My cousin and I were always reliably informed that we attended our first game together a week and 10 days (respectively) before we were born.
This became a matter of family lore and history, recited at both my mom's and my aunt's funerals.

He's got Captain potential in his future I feel.

The living proof of what hard work, diligence and making the most of yourself can be. Not the most talented or skillful but gives 100% every game.

Good things in a leader.

Go Catters

Kolodjashnij looks to me potentially a very good player when playing as a key defender. Far less so on a wing.
I've been saying this for yonks. Play Kola in his natural position and he's actually a very good player. He's a KPD and always has been.

Blitz lol. Seriously was he cats best this season?

He was very consistent down back this year and claimed a few decent scalps among the way.
In my opinion if he wasn’t our best, he was in our best few.
We were better when we had Blicavs as the key defender and seemed to lose our way a little trying to fit he, Taylor and Henderson in.

But Greeves Medal..
When you step back and objectively look at the season you start to realise the value & importance of him down back, and there's every chance that without him playing that key defensive role we may not have played finals.

His workrate is phenomenal, he continually got to contest after contest and for a fair chunk of the season his goals conceded looked like the binary system all 0's & 1's.

Sometimes we find it easier to acknowledge the work of an attacking defender because people are more inclined to focus & enjoy those forward flurries, attacking runs down the wing or through the middle etc, while those who play with a negative aspect to their game & focus on stopping their opponent are more inclined to have their value to the team questioned, as we see on a regular basis with Bews

When you step back and objectively look at the season you start to realise the value & importance of him down back, and there's every chance that without him playing that key defensive role we may not have played finals.

His workrate is phenomenal, he continually got to contest after contest and for a fair chunk of the season his goals conceded looked like the binary system all 0's & 1's.

Sometimes we find it easier to acknowledge the work of an attacking defender because people are more inclined to focus & enjoy those forward flurries, attacking runs down the wing or through the middle etc, while those who play with a negative aspect to their game & focus on stopping their opponent are more inclined to have their value to the team questioned, as we see on a regular basis with Bews
Matty Scarlett won one Greeves Medal and blitz two.. :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

He had a good season, probably somewhere between 5th-10th, and has definitely found a position.

But to suggest he was better than Hawkins, Selwood or Stewart (my top 3), then Dangerfield and Ablett, is stretching it.
The fact that each of the several voters awards each player votes out of a possible 15 suggests to me that they each actually give each player votes out of a possible 5 in 3 different categories.
One might be how well he performs his delegated task, one might be I have NFI, and probably only the third is the conventional "best player" category.
In other words, only one-third of the total voting is directly based on the traditional "best player" assessment.
This would explain the disconnect between barrackers' opinions and the actual result.

Matty Scarlett won one Greeves Medal and blitz two.. :huh:
And Bartel won none but that doesn't devalue Blicavs winning 2.

When you look at the voting system you start to realise why a few of the more fancied didn't finish as high as predicted before the night:
Voting system
After each game the Senior Coach and assistant coaches rate each player in the AFL team’s performance out of 15.
The combined votes are then averaged to give a final score for that game.
To ensure players aren’t disadvantaged by injuries or being managed, each player’s highest scoring 21 games of the season are added together to give a final score for 2018.

Ablett played only 19 games, so straight up he is a potential 30 points behind teammates. He finished round 3 on the bench & while he was very good until he got injured not playing the full match would likely see a reduction in his score, and he was below his best against the Bombers (round 9) & Swans (round 16). So any below par games for Ablett had to be included in his final score which is why in the end he missed out on the top 10.

Hawkins had a great finish to the season but it was his start to the season which cost him the Carji - goalless in 2 of his first 4 matches and only 6 goals in his first 5 matches, then factor in that he missed round 5 with injury & round 8 through suspension and he only played 21 matches for the year so those poor matches early had to count towards his total score. He finished 5 points behind Blicavs, if he had better match/es against the Demons, Hawks & Saints then chances are he wins, but that slow start killed his chances.

The current voting system rewards consistency and that's why Blicavs & Kelly finished top 2 ahead of more fancied options who made runs at different times - Blicavs lead from start to finish which gives a good indication that the coaches viewed his season as being very consistent, that he continued to do as asked by the coaches & had a positive impact each match.

Some will take this with a grain of salt, but good to see Blicavs & Stewart getting recognition in the media for their efforts this past season. Robbo has named his top 50 players from 2018 & while I can't read the full list the article does say the following:

There are several newbies in the Top 50, including Lachie Whitfield (No.11), Jack Darling (No.16), Angus Brayshaw (No.31) and three players at No.38-40 — Magpie Taylor Adams, Essendon’s best-and-fairest winner Devon Smith and Geelong best-and-fairest Mark Blicavs, who claimed the No.1 key defensive spot at the Cats...

...The defenders in this group were McGovern, Whitfield, Rory Laird, Rance, Phil Davis, Shannon Hurn, Tom Stewart, Harris Andrews, Blicavs, Dylan Grimes, Nev Jetta and Jeremy Howe

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../news-story/0be998dbf4829982d4baa83a44943f67#

No.

He had a good season, probably somewhere between 5th-10th, and has definitely found a position.

But to suggest he was better than Hawkins, Selwood or Stewart (my top 3), then Dangerfield and Ablett, is stretching it.
None of us watch the 23 games we played with as much scrutiny as the MC does.
The fact that Blic was in front from rd 1 to elim final is significant.
AND, He did not miss a game.
He did have a good season, and knowing how they vote for this, it is only appropriate he is B & F.
The Geelong Big Footy voting is frivolous at many times.
We had how many noms for AA?
And two of those missed games. Danger was not our B&F this year, but he was very close.
So it's a no-brainer.Almost.

Last edited:
None of us watch the 23 games we played with as much scrutiny as the MC does.
The fact that Blic was in front from rd 1 to elim final is significant.
AND, He did not miss a game.
He did have a good season, and knowing how they vote for this, it is only appropriate he is B & F.
The Geelong Big Footy voting is frivolous at many times.
We had how many noms for AA?
And two of those missed games. Danger was not our B&F this year, but he was very close.
So it's a no-brainer.Almost.

Did you predict him to win it?

I didn't. My top 3 was Hawkins, Selwood, and Stewart.

Did you predict him to win it?

I didn't. My top 3 was Hawkins, Selwood, and Stewart.
Tbh, yes I did predict Blic to win it. I did not even think he was a smoky. Reasons for my confidence were the above. Loved by MC, resilient, missed no games, consistent, picked as 1/40 in AA squad, and I thought hewas ouststanding in defence this year. Am an unashamed fan as you know. Said to my son, 1. Blic 2. Stewart, 3. Danger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back