Carlisle hand punching

Remove this Banner Ad

So I suppose a player can slap a guy who had been concussed recently around the head a bit during pre-bounce niggle or between quarters? Or someone temporarily wearing protective head gear? :think:
I'd call it striking or whatever they call those after the siren melees. (not the pushy-pushy kind)
The biggest problem for AFL is the optics. It makes footy look thuggish

[member: 157126"]
I mean, it's definitely not suspension worthy, but geez, you can not HONESTLY act like those things are comparable. Get a grip. Tackling a player in a legitimate football act is obviously completely different to hitting a hand (not a football act) out of play (after a goal).

You're kidding yourself if you think your slippery slope argument has any merit. The line is clearly drawn at what is a football act and in play...whacking his hand in a spoil attempt, ok. Grabbing his hand in a tackle attempt, ok. Trying to hit it out of play, not ok.

I mean I so legitimately scoffed at your 'point', I feel like the other end of the spectrum is that if Rampe is OK to play then surely Carlisle should be allowed to shiv his hand? Why not? WheRe dOeS iT eNd?

Clearest case of a minor misconduct fine we'll see all season.
[/QUOTE]

To be fair, it happened during a 'fight', not during the normal flow of play.

The whole point of fighting someone is to hurt them. The concept that hitting a dude's hand during a melee is somehow a 'bad look' or worse than a jumper punch or a headlock or whatever is kind of weird

If it was a random, unprovoked attack then I could understand the commentary. But during a melee?

So I suppose a player can slap a guy who had been concussed recently around the head a bit during pre-bounce niggle or between quarters? Or someone temporarily wearing protective head gear? :think:
I'd call it striking or whatever they call those after the siren melees. (not the pushy-pushy kind)
The biggest problem for AFL is the optics. It makes footy look thuggish

Seriously? Slapping a dude's hand during a melee is thuggish??

I'd argue it's probably the least thuggish thing you could ever do in a melee.

the optics
hitting an opponents injury, NOT during actual play doesn't look good to the soccer moms

If I was a soccer mum, I'd be happy if little Johnny had his hand slapped in a melee, rather than getting jumper punched or had his jumper ripped off him.

I knkw what you're saying, but I just don't think it applies to a melee scenario. In regular play - bad optics. In a melee - probably the best optics you could hope for really.

carlisle aint the only flog involved in the incident.
Rampke is a cheating little squib. Carlisle should get a few weeks in credit to be used at a lsater stage if he does get suspended.

I mean, he could've just went hard at it while in play and it would've been more effective and the optics would've been better.
He has every right to 'test' an injury, to what lengths are the Umps meant to protect players injuries? Not really reasonable to expect that. And not reasonable to expect players not to test injuries out.
Agreed. My view - if you play injured you can expect that area to get worked over in play. Specifically targeting an injury out of play is pretty poor form.

Fine is right. Weird incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back