Carlton’s greatest finals era

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is not about best years, but to temporary get off track myself, I rate 79 the best year.
The only time we did not score 100 was a couple of extremely wet and muddy days and the only few losses we had were narrow losses.
1995 we got smashed two weeks in a row. I count 95 as most complete end to a season but not the best season.
The 16 wins in a row after the two heavy losses to Swans and Saints was complete in that sense to comeback from those two bad failings but the 79 was had a better style of football to watch and just entertained to the max all year. Best season I seen.
But 79 teams also covers the best finals era for us of from 1978 to 1988 always in top five and four premierships in there that was as good as it gets for enjoyment as a fan following my club each season.

Our score in the 79 grand final was our lowest for the season. If the ground was dry we would have won by at least 5 goals. We had a very fast side with the mosquito fleet.

From those eras mentioned here I rate (not in order) the 72, 79 & 95 years as the best.

I was only alive for the 93 - 95 period. The disappointment of the 93 GF cemented me as a Carlton supporter! I hadn't decided on my team until that point. Believe it or not, I was trying decide between Carlton and Geelong!

I was present at all finals from 1978 and watched replays from 1968. Clearly 1968 to 1973 was the best era. That side did not go back to back but had more "game breakers and stars"than the rest, won the greatest grand final of alltime (1970) and highest score in a grandfinal (1972). They also beat top opposition in Collingwood and Richmond. 1993 to 1995 era lacked longevity and multiple premierships

1968 to 1973
Jezza, Nicholls, Crosswell, Walls, Southby, Mckay
1979 to 1982
Ashman, Johnston, Fitzpatrick, Doull
1993 to1995
Kernahan, Bradley, Williams, Koutafidies, Silvagni

Carltons greatest finals era
This bloke

Dom8Article_620X370.jpg

In the top few on the ground in all our premierships 79,81,82,87
A dead set big game player. One of my all time fav's thanks for posting that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back