Carlton 1896 in Colour

Remove this Banner Ad

reckon we've spent a shilling on professionalism this time around - who's willing to guess what russell is pulling down?

I'm sure I read that he was excited to come to Carlton for the career opportunities... I'm not sure exactly what that means for someone like him, but I'm not quibbling.

And I've delved into my own literature re 1896, and learned that, as ever... the matches between the weaker clubs were of a low standard and completely irrelevant to the issue of who would win the premiership. Thus, in 1896 the matches in which Carlton and Richmond played were described as "farcical and uninteresting"...

Sounds like a fantastic idea for a season opener... just as well both clubs have had a couple of years in the sun in the meantime!

I'm sure I read that he was excited to come to Carlton for the career opportunities... I'm not sure exactly what that means for someone like him, but I'm not quibbling.

And I've delved into my own literature re 1896, and learned that, as ever... the matches between the weaker clubs were of a low standard and completely irrelevant to the issue of who would win the premiership. Thus, in 1896 the matches in which Carlton and Richmond played were described as "farcical and uninteresting"...

Sounds like a fantastic idea for a season opener... just as well both clubs have had a couple of years in the sun in the meantime!
A good description of the 1973 Grand Final.

I hope you blue baggers enjoy this photo I've colourized.

The 1896 Carlton side.

.View attachment 576383 View attachment 576384

Great job.

The chamois yoke on the guernsey's was actually coloured white.

Over time the chamois would return to it's natural state which is a yellow hue.

So for a photo like this taken in real time you would most likely actually see a range of the chamois yokes from white to yellow depending on the age and use of the guernsey.

Great job.

So for a photo like this taken in real time you would most likely actually see a range of the chamois yokes from white to yellow depending on the age and use of the guernsey.
FootyGeek. Living up to his name.:thumbsu:

Is the yoke on the jumper orange?
No, they were coloured white when new,however they were made from Chamois leather, which also lined the inside of the canvas guernsey for comfort: The white colouring / paint/ink did not endure for any length of time on the guernseys and was washed off in a quick time, leaving the Chamois leather colour.

Great job.

Thank you

No, they were coloured white when new,however they were made from Chamois leather, which also lined the inside of the canvas guernsey for comfort: The white colouring / paint/ink did not endure for any length of time on the guernseys and was washed off in a quick time, leaving the Chamois leather colour.
I thought it could be orange because of Carlton’s original strip. Teams in the early days identified themselves by wearing a sash. It still survives today in Richmond’s jumper.

I thought it could be orange because of Carlton’s original strip. Teams in the early days identified themselves by wearing a sash. It still survives today in Richmond’s jumper.

I think the orange in our strip was gone by the end of our time in the VFA, although obviously it's hard to be sure because we have to rely on descriptive accounts. But I have read that the orange was originally a cap, dating back to the 1870's when footy was played in cricket whites...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the orange in our strip was gone by the end of our time in the VFA, although obviously it's hard to be sure because we have to rely on descriptive accounts. But I have read that the orange was originally a cap, dating back to the 1870's when footy was played in cricket whites...
Probably right.

Think he got the yoke colour right.

When the club was formed all footballers wore cricket whites. Carlton wore an orange cap, the following year in 1865 a blue band was added. Next year there was a move for them to wear a blue and white cap. However, it was not until 1871 that Oxford Blue was adopted. Their first uniform was an Oxford Blue guernsey and kickerbockers. The cap was also changed to plain Oxford Blue. 1873 grey soxs were worn. In 1874 the grey soxs were abandoned for blue and white hooped soxs, predating Geelong's adoption of them.
Sashes? Well they did wear them on more than one occasion. It is known they wore one against Melbourne Rnd 16, 1904, and twice against Fitzroy, Rnd 14 1914, and in the Semi Final of 1914. There are photos of them on the Guernsey page. (see below) May have worn them at other times but it is not mentioned in the newspapers. It would have been very difficult to indentify teams in the fading light on very muddy grounds.
Numbers were also trialled in 1887, but not adopted for some reason until the final series of 1911. We do not know the numbers which the players wore in 1887.
Orange has not been part of the club's colours since 1870. Orange has mistakingly been identified, because of the white paint/dye on the chamois shoulder patches faded with washing to reveal the "orange" chamois.
The 1896 image that Port Adelaide 1870 has kindly colourised was the July 04 match against Fitzroy on the MCG.

For further info on the colour;
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=194
Carlton's guernsey; photos etc
http://www.blueseum.org/Guernsey+History
Season 1896;
http://www.blueseum.org/1896

When the club was formed all footballers wore cricket whites. Carlton wore an orange cap, the following year in 1865 a blue band was added. Next year there was a move for them to wear a blue and white cap. However, it was not until 1871 that Oxford Blue was adopted. Their first uniform was an Oxford Blue guernsey and kickerbockers. The cap was also changed to plain Oxford Blue. 1873 grey soxs were worn. In 1874 the grey soxs were abandoned for blue and white hooped soxs, predating Geelong's adoption of them.
Sashes? Well they did wear them on more than one occasion. It is known they wore one against Melbourne Rnd 16, 1904, and twice against Fitzroy, Rnd 14 1914, and in the Semi Final of 1914. There are photos of them on the Guernsey page. (see below) May have worn them at other times but it is not mentioned in the newspapers. It would have been very difficult to indentify teams in the fading light on very muddy grounds.
Numbers were also trialled in 1887, but not adopted for some reason until the final series of 1911. We do not know the numbers which the players wore in 1887.
Orange has not been part of the club's colours since 1870. Orange has mistakingly been identified, because of the white paint/dye on the chamois shoulder patches faded with washing to reveal the "orange" chamois.
The 1896 image that Port Adelaide 1870 has kindly colourised was the July 04 match against Fitzroy on the MCG.

Season 1896;
Thanks for that. Very informative.

Season 1896;
:star::clapping::clapping:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back