Carlton 1896 in Colour

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide 1870
Thanks for doing that.
Although the blue needs to be a darker shade and the shoulder panels need to whiter.
Good effort though.
How long does it take to colourise a photo like that?
Regards,
Blueseum Pre VFL

You're Welcome, The shoulder panels if you can see vary in tone from a white-ish tone to a dirty yellow. I'm not sure how many of the shoulder panels weren't well washed by the time this photo was taken. As for the Blue I'm working on that, I may try some with whiter than white shoulder panels to give the illusion of new guernseys.

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide 1870
Thanks for doing that.
Although the blue needs to be a darker shade and the shoulder panels need to whiter.
Good effort though.
How long does it take to colourise a photo like that?
Regards,
Blueseum Pre VFL

Takes some considerable time to colourise photos with a degree of realism, some from hours to a month ! ( or more )

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
Takes some considerable time to colourise photos with a degree of realism, some from hours to a month ! ( or more )

Wow, I didn't think it would take that long!
I have put your colour pic into the Blueseum Pre VFL image gallery.
If you want me to remove it, I can.
Thank you for spending so much of your time on it.
Port must have lots of old b&w team photos that can be done.
We did have someone (pblue) who started colouring some individual photos a few years ago, but sadly he passed away.
I was thinking of taking it up, (not knowing anything about it) but the amount time it takes, makes you wonder if it is worth while.
Thanks once again, look forward to version 2.
Regards.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
We did have someone (pblue) who started colouring some individual photos a few years ago, but sadly he passed away.
I was thinking of taking it up, (not knowing anything about it) but the amount time it takes, makes you wonder if it is worth while.
Regards.
Maybe you can buy Port Adelaide 1870 some cake in appreciation of his effort.

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Regards.

They vary considerably in time to colourise:

From several hours, to a month for the extremely complex and highly rendered images, it all comes down to how "real" the image is required to be.

The image is up and online for Carlton supporters pleasure.

Port have a massive amount of old B/W images that are in my gunsights.

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Regards.

From several hours, to a month for the extremely complex and highly rendered images, it all comes down to how "real" the image is required to be.

Where can I view the Blueseum Pre VFL image gallery

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton

Where can I view the Blueseum Pre VFL image gallery

Blueseum's Pre VFL Gallery
http://www.blueseum.org/gallery719
9 pages of images and articles/adverts etc

Home Page
http://www.blueseum.org/gallery719
See the left hand side for drop down boxes. Index is pretty good to find links.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
When the club was formed all footballers wore cricket whites. Carlton wore an orange cap, the following year in 1865 a blue band was added. Next year there was a move for them to wear a blue and white cap. However, it was not until 1871 that Oxford Blue was adopted. Their first uniform was an Oxford Blue guernsey and kickerbockers. The cap was also changed to plain Oxford Blue. 1873 grey soxs were worn. In 1874 the grey soxs were abandoned for blue and white hooped soxs, predating Geelong's adoption of them.
Sashes? Well they did wear them on more than one occasion. It is known they wore one against Melbourne Rnd 16, 1904, and twice against Fitzroy, Rnd 14 1914, and in the Semi Final of 1914. There are photos of them on the Guernsey page. (see below) May have worn them at other times but it is not mentioned in the newspapers. It would have been very difficult to indentify teams in the fading light on very muddy grounds.
Numbers were also trialled in 1887, but not adopted for some reason until the final series of 1911. We do not know the numbers which the players wore in 1887.
Orange has not been part of the club's colours since 1870. Orange has mistakingly been identified, because of the white paint/dye on the chamois shoulder patches faded with washing to reveal the "orange" chamois.
The 1896 image that Port Adelaide 1870 has kindly colourised was the July 04 match against Fitzroy on the MCG.

For further info on the colour;
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=194
Carlton's guernsey; photos etc
http://www.blueseum.org/Guernsey+History
Season 1896;
http://www.blueseum.org/1896
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter please. Post more!

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter please. Post more!

MEB
I'm sorry to say there is no newsletters from Blueseum.
You can go to the site, www.blueseum.org , any time and discover 40,000 plus Carlton images, 100's of articles and details on every player (first's and seconds) and details on every match played from 1864 - 2018
It is a work in progress, we need volunteers.
You, or anyone, can also contribute to Blueseum, by writing, adding photos, memories of games, etc. You could even start up a newsletter?
Be like yours truly, you too can spend the rest of your life there!

Back