Club Focus Carlton 2021 - Cerra, Young, Motlop

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Last edited by a moderator:
Not including anyone under the age of 22 as I’m unsure of most of their unearthed guys there is at least 8 players I would trade or delist

They think everyone of their height draft pick players are suddenly future elite stars, it’s simply not true and will never happen
We don’t need everyone to make it but since our rebuild started (2015 draft) we have 10 midfielders taken within the first round of those drafts. Walsh is the only one capable of holding his own in the midfield at AFL level to this point. I think it’s fair to assume we would of had a better then 1 in 10 strike rate to this point.

Betts (13 finals appearances) and Williams (11 finals) have both played in a grand final. Despite Carlton's record in recent history, Murphy has played in 6 finals games (4 elims and 2 semis). Gov (3 finals), Newman (3 finals), Ed Curnow (2 finals).
So there's 2 with good finals experience, one with reasonable, and another 3 with limited, but some experience.

"finals experience" is a myth i reckon.

Richmond lost 3 elimination finals in a row and wilted under pressure flat out. then went onto win every 2017 final by an average of 9 goals.

when a team is ready, they're ready.

"finals experience" is a myth i reckon.

Richmond lost 3 elimination finals in a row and wilted under pressure flat out. then went onto win every 2017 final by an average of 9 goals.

when a team is ready, they're ready.
I think they also gave up 3 six goal leads in losses in the 2017 season before winning it all.

We don’t need everyone to make it but since our rebuild started (2015 draft) we have 10 midfielders taken within the first round of those drafts. Walsh is the only one capable of holding his own in the midfield at AFL level to this point. I think it’s fair to assume we would of had a better then 1 in 10 strike rate to this point.
Yep, it's clearly a development issue. The best example is Dow. His movement in traffic and burst from stoppages is absolutely elite, but the confidence just isn't there. Would be a star at Richmond.

Stocker would be green with envy seeing RCD brought into the Richmond team and being used as an inside midfielder. Meanwhile he's in a back pocket chasing around small forwards.

Very happy with Blues Trade/Draft period. Improved our list and filled some holes. A mature KPD like McDonald for depth would be good addition.

With our age profile, another pre season and a proper reserves next year MUST be finals. Underrated or yet to be established names like Honey Ramsay Dow O'Brien Stocker Kemp Fisher should really improve in this new system. That's where our improvement will come from

Looking forward to an exciting 2021

Go Blues

this aged very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps doing that makes Williams even worse, lets hope for carltons sake injuries stopped him from being fully fit, because on 900k no excuse not to be in the best shape of your life.
It’s been widely reported at $800k. Too much but if the salary cap does get to $14.75mil next year it’s hardly a club killer.

It’s been widely reported at $800k. Too much but if the salary cap does get to $14.75mil next year it’s hardly a club killer.
Both Williams & McGovern on more money than your captain Cripps taking a pay cut is interesting list management...

Both Williams & McGovern on more money than your captain Cripps taking a pay cut is interesting list management...
They were recruited and the only thing we can really offer is money considering how poor we have been. As posted below, Essendon paid a stupid amount for Caldwell but they had money to spend and that was the only way to get him.
McGovern has clearly been our biggest mistake.

We only have 4 ‘must keep’ players on our list: Cripps, McKay, Weitering and Walsh. All have re-signed.

There are young players we would want to keep: Kemp, Stocker, TDK, Carroll, the rest of our-list we’d be open-minded about.

Reckon the equation is pretty simple for this off-season - go hard at Cerra, if we don’t get him we go to the draft and grab the best available mid.

We only have 4 ‘must keep’ players on our list: Cripps, McKay, Weitering and Walsh. All have re-signed.

There are young players we would want to keep: Kemp, Stocker, TDK, Carroll, the rest of our-list we’d be open-minded about.

Reckon the equation is pretty simple for this off-season - go hard at Cerra, if we don’t get him we go to the draft and grab the best available mid.

Not fussed on Cerra. Happy to go to the draft. Get our side fit with a good structure/game plan and standards and we will bounce back quickly

Go to the draft and get rid of Murphy Betts Curnow Casboult Newnes and a couple of others and our Salary Cap will be fine as well

I suppose not a 22 year old elite midfielder doesn't make you fussed.

Jack Martin on the other hand...

Elite is over the top. Very good player but not elite. Never said I rated Martin highly either. I just don’t want us chasing players and paying big money. We need to get other things right and see what we have until we pay more money out on players.

But please keep telling me what I’m thinking 🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back