Club Focus Carlton 2021 - Cerra, Young, Motlop

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is a sensible and reasonable analysis, the concluding thought being - do you reluctantly need to move Dow or Kennedy on to get a better balance in the midfield, in which case is Dow the one who gets you a better trade value?
Tbh I don't think either of them will net a worthwhile return - Kennedy is on the rookie list and uncontracted iirc. Dow is very much at the bottom of his value without showing what he can do.

The ones who have set value are probably SPS and Fisher types.

**Edit

Not saying they'll get us a lot back but that what we may get is approx value where with Dow he still has the potential to improve

Tbh I don't think either of them will net a worthwhile return - Kennedy is on the rookie list and uncontracted iirc. Dow is very much at the bottom of his value without showing what he can do.

Yes, and those are the two your board discussion has moving on - although arguably are two with the run you are so desirous of. Just, it would seem, not quite with the right balance or ball-winning and spreading capabilities?

Yes it probably is bullsh!t, but Paddy Dow... yes his contracted but, there some kind of rumour he is up for grabs. What would he be worth in pick situation?

I can't see a straight up trade for him.

If we can find a way to use our first pick (#5 or #6) and Dow, and turn them into Cerra and #10ish, I would do it. Would take some other picks too I'd say.

Yes, and those are the two your board discussion has moving on - although arguably are two with the run you are so desirous of. Just, it would seem, not quite with the right balance or ball-winning and spreading capabilities?

SPS doesn't have the run. He's actually quite slow. Fisher has the run, but not necessarily the smarts to run where required.

**Edit

Not saying they'll get us a lot back but that what we may get is approx value where with Dow he still has the potential to improve
Kennedy is now a UFA isn't he, because he was delisted and re-rookied?

What can we give you for Zac Fisher

What players are up on the Carlton Free Agent roulette this year?

What players are up on the Carlton Free Agent roulette this year?

It really has become very embarrassing and some would say disgraceful. We speak about culture and how we need to build a successful environment, yet we fail to develop and even destroy our top kids and then dispose them for little or no return, while we overpay for everyone else’s supposed superstars, who don’t raise a sweat with us. Around and around we go..............I wouldn’t want my kid being drafted to CFC.

Not sure what to make of the blues they have the talent but to not even make finals is a shocker, I think its more than just Teague who needs to go.

my mail is that jack silvagni has played his last game at carlton. Developments today following a meeting with the club. Anyone heard anything on this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Williams is the same player in two years time and we lose some best 22 talent then this will be fair.

Until then it’s just wishful thinking and judging a recruit on 12 games is stupid. Caldwell on 550k a bust?

Zac was brought in on established star money. Jye was traded for a packet of chips and to a club desperately seeking places to pay such the health of our salary cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to fact check:

Has anyone got any info/blue tick rumours about Carlton’s salary cap?
Hmm so I did a bit of digging around:
Salary cap space after 2021
HAVES (with room): Essendon, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Adelaide, Port Adelaide.
HAVE-NOTS: Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood, Melbourne, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney.
SOME WRIGGLE ROOM: Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Brisbane Lions.
UNCLEAR: St Kilda, Sydney

Carlton have some space, having banked money under the rules (which allow clubs to spend more than the salary cap if they underspend in the two previous seasons), but have to re-sign skipper Patrick Cripps and emerging forward Harry McKay and allow some room for Sam Walsh post-2022.
That was in March. Don’t think it’s changed much?

Jake Niall on fire hah here’s another from a bit longer ago:
Carlton are spending 105 per cent of the salary cap in 2020, using the AFL’s ‘‘banking’’ system to maximise player payments and leave themselves room to recruit seasoned players for next year and beyond.

The Blues have taken advantage of the rule that allows clubs to spend over the salary cap by up to five per cent, if they have underspent on players in the two previous seasons and have room to trade in more players this October.

The Blues have some contracts front-ended — with heavy payments upfront — that will give them space for another aggressive post-season, despite spending 105 per cent of the limit, as the AFL rules allow via ‘‘banking’’ from 2018 and 2019 when they spent below the salary cap.
That was published almost 18 months ago, in March 2020, which explains why they have wriggle room now, even if they don’t have a heap of cap space they can still juggle it.

For one example, Jack Martin has almost 2/3 of his $3.1m+ 5 year deal paid in the first 2 years, so they won’t be paying him much for a while going forward.

my mail is that jack silvagni has played his last game at carlton. Developments today following a meeting with the club. Anyone heard anything on this?

Well I'm afraid your mail is incorrect then.

CARLTON pair Brodie Kemp and Jack Silvagni are closing in on new two-year deals.

Of course you would and then stop off and buy some lotto tickets

Depends what the other way was. 2022 first rounder, swap of 2021 first rounders and SPS for example.

I know you are going to act insulted like Cerra is worth two top 5 picks and I've heard the noise around 2 first rounders, but not all first rounders are worth the same thing.

Depends what the other way was. 2022 first rounder, swap of 2021 first rounders and SPS for example.

I know you are going to act insulted like Cerra is worth two top 5 picks and I've heard the noise around 2 first rounders, but not all first rounders are worth the same thing.
Agree he is worth 2 x 1st rounders not 2 x top 5s very few worth that

your 1st rounder will be pick 8 after FS‘s

I don’t think anyone is interested in SPS

Agree he is worth 2 x 1st rounders not 2 x top 5s very few worth that

your 1st rounder will be pick 8 after FS‘s

I don’t think anyone is interested in SPS

I know the drill. You devalue the pick because of father/son picks that you never would have had access to anyway. I say that we have the 6th live pick amongst players your team would have looked at.

But then when I talk about swapping picks on top of next year's 1st rounder, your downgrade of our pick will also apply to yours so no harm, no foul.

If we let SPS go, he will get picked up. That's a cynical claim.

I know the drill. You devalue the pick because of father/son picks that you never would have had access to anyway. I say that we have the 6th live pick amongst players your team would have looked at.

But then when I talk about swapping picks on top of next year's 1st rounder, your downgrade of our pick will also apply to yours so no harm, no foul.

If we let SPS go, he will get picked up. That's a cynical claim.
It cuts both ways your right happens every year

SPS will get picked up, hopefully not by us without a good honest chat

Doesnt make Lyon out to be a good coach

Doesn't suggest he is a bad coach either. There are plenty of players who speak glowingly of Ross.

Every coach in the history of the game would have players who liked him, and players who didn't.

Doesn't suggest he is a bad coach either. There are plenty of players who speak glowingly of Ross.

Every coach in the history of the game would have players who liked him, and players who didn't.
Correct, It will be interesting because a lot of players are already allegedly upset with Teagues fireing

Cerra and Riccardi will come into the side.

Will probably cost a first, second and third.

One of SPS, Dow, Fisher will be traded to obtain that third for GWS.

One or both of the other two may be let go for a third rounder each that they will use at the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back